    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
    it does all the things that they want."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006

  3. On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:17:35 +1300, someone purporting to be RJ didst
    scrawl:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39156907,00.htm
    >>
    >> "But the public sector, in all its various forms, still spends tens of
    >> millions [of Pounds] each year on proprietary software - including that
    >> from Microsoft."

    > Because it's better.

    Really? Is that state of "better"ness worth millions of dollars? Is Oracle
    SO much better than OSS databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL as to
    justify its enormous price? Windows, IIS and .NET are "better" than LAMP
    to the tune of thousands of dollars per installation?

    If you're one of the minuscule handful of people who are true power users
    you may be better off with Windows and MS Office. The vast majority of
    Government users, however, would be quite adequately served by Linux and
    OpenOffice.
    Hell, the CIO of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts gets by with OOo, and
    he's far more likely to use advanced functionality than Jo(e) Public
    Servant is.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:17:35 +1300, someone purporting to be RJ didst
    > scrawl:
    >
    > > In article <>, says...
    > >> http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39156907,00.htm
    > >>
    > >> "But the public sector, in all its various forms, still spends tens of
    > >> millions [of Pounds] each year on proprietary software - including that
    > >> from Microsoft."

    > > Because it's better.

    > Really? Is that state of "better"ness worth millions of dollars? Is Oracle
    > SO much better than OSS databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL as to
    > justify its enormous price?

    Postgresql is miles better than MySQL.

    However, if you think about it, anything that is commercially supported
    is way better than the efforts of hacker hobbyists. So, if Oracle
    provides commercial support, they are better than OSS.

    > Windows, IIS and .NET are "better" than LAMP
    > to the tune of thousands of dollars per installation?

    They're commercially supported.

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006
  5. On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:26:18 +1300, RJ wrote:

    > However, if you think about it, anything that is commercially supported is
    > way better than the efforts of hacker hobbyists. So, if Oracle provides
    > commercial support, they are better than OSS.

    Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Open Office are all commercially supported
    pieces of software.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Enkidu Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:17:35 +1300, someone purporting to be RJ didst
    >>scrawl:
    >>

    >>>In article <>, says...

    >>>Because it's better.

    >>Really? Is that state of "better"ness worth millions of dollars? Is Oracle
    >>SO much better than OSS databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL as to
    >>justify its enormous price?

    > Postgresql is miles better than MySQL.
    >
    > However, if you think about it, anything that is commercially supported
    > is way better than the efforts of hacker hobbyists. So, if Oracle
    > provides commercial support, they are better than OSS.
    >

    >>Windows, IIS and .NET are "better" than LAMP
    >>to the tune of thousands of dollars per installation?

    > They're commercially supported.

    What does that *really* mean? I've never, ever phoned a commercial
    vendor for support. What benefit is the support to me?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 4, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:18:11 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:26:18 +1300, RJ wrote:
    >
    >> However, if you think about it, anything that is commercially supported is
    >> way better than the efforts of hacker hobbyists. So, if Oracle provides
    >> commercial support, they are better than OSS.

    > Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Open Office are all commercially supported
    > pieces of software.

    Interesting that someone would think it worthwhile supporting a OSS for $
    gain. Read the thing they are supporting must be good.

    Gordon, Mar 4, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <44092b1a$>,
    says...
    > RJ wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:17:35 +1300, someone purporting to be RJ didst
    > >>scrawl:

    > >>Really? Is that state of "better"ness worth millions of dollars? Is Oracle
    > >>SO much better than OSS databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL as to
    > >>justify its enormous price?

    > > Postgresql is miles better than MySQL.
    > >
    > > However, if you think about it, anything that is commercially supported
    > > is way better than the efforts of hacker hobbyists. So, if Oracle
    > > provides commercial support, they are better than OSS.
    > >

    > >>Windows, IIS and .NET are "better" than LAMP
    > >>to the tune of thousands of dollars per installation?

    > > They're commercially supported.
    > >

    > What does that *really* mean? I've never, ever phoned a commercial
    > vendor for support. What benefit is the support to me?

    Means they have people on full-time paid support.

    That means the 0800 number that you can ring any time during business
    hours.

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Enkidu Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <44092b1a$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>RJ wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...

    >>>Postgresql is miles better than MySQL.
    >>>
    >>>However, if you think about it, anything that is commercially supported
    >>>is way better than the efforts of hacker hobbyists. So, if Oracle
    >>>provides commercial support, they are better than OSS.

    >>>They're commercially supported.
    >>>

    >>What does that *really* mean? I've never, ever phoned a commercial
    >>vendor for support. What benefit is the support to me?

    > Means they have people on full-time paid support.

    Who cares? I never need them.

    > That means the 0800 number that you can ring any time during business
    > hours.

    Erm, no. It's rarely an 0800 number and almost never in this country.
    We're talking about software, but I assume it is the same for hardware,
    for which I *have* rung for support, with varying success.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 4, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <4409593a$>,
    says...
    > > Means they have people on full-time paid support.
    > >

    > Who cares? I never need them.
    > >
    > > That means the 0800 number that you can ring any time during business
    > > hours.
    > >

    > Erm, no. It's rarely an 0800 number and almost never in this country.

    Anyone who's any good has an 0800 number.

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > RJ wrote:
    >
    >> In article <44092b1a$>,
    >> says...

    >>> What does that *really* mean? I've never, ever phoned a commercial
    >>> vendor for support. What benefit is the support to me?

    >> Means they have people on full-time paid support.
    >>

    > Who cares? I never need them.
    > >

    >> That means the 0800 number that you can ring any time during business
    >> hours.

    > Erm, no. It's rarely an 0800 number and almost never in this country.
    > We're talking about software, but I assume it is the same for hardware,
    > for which I *have* rung for support, with varying success.

    Hardwrae is an interesting one, if you are big enough (like us), then
    with 150+ servers, sans, tape libraries and network kit, Dell jumps....

    If you only have 1 or 2....and a serious issue, like a repeated hardware
    issue tough, might as well build your own white box, forget Dell etc
    (HP, Compaq are all the same) to give meaningful support.

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    0800 for REDHAT....24/7.....

    In 2 years I have had a few calls to them, the last one was squid....RH
    had boobed (in building an rpm I think), because no non-redhat suffered,
    got it escalated and I got an oh yes we know, here is a hot fix....

    regards

    Thing

    regards

    Thing

    , Mar 4, 2006
  12. On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 09:39:21 +1300, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Hardwrae is an interesting one, if you are big enough (like us), then
    >with 150+ servers, sans, tape libraries and network kit, Dell jumps....
    >
    >If you only have 1 or 2....and a serious issue, like a repeated hardware
    >issue tough, might as well build your own white box, forget Dell etc
    >(HP, Compaq are all the same) to give meaningful support.
    >
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >0800 for REDHAT....24/7.....
    >
    >In 2 years I have had a few calls to them, the last one was squid....RH
    >had boobed (in building an rpm I think), because no non-redhat suffered,
    >got it escalated and I got an oh yes we know, here is a hot fix....
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    When I had a support contract with Cisco, they were very good. Email
    about a low level problem that I would have been happy to swap emails
    about often got a phone reply, and always they knew what they were
    doing. And when I had a real hardware problem shortly after I got my
    router, they swapped it for a new one that arrived on Monday when I
    had notified them about the problem on Friday. They have an NZ 0800
    number.

    Easynews (my Usenet service), surprisingly, also has an NZ 0800 number
    from about mid last year. I have never had to use it yet, as they are
    very good at fixing things before I really have a chance to notice
    them. They also respond rapidly to emails.

    http://easynews.com/support/phone.phtml

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 5, 2006