Linux in every thread

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jason X, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. Jason X

    Jason X Guest

    What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
    dealers standing on street corner.

    Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
    the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.

    Tell you what im glad that they dont sell linux door to door, because
    you guys are worse than a bunch of mormon's trying to push their goods
    on you everytime you answer the door bell.

    "Divine" next time you see somebody with a so called "windoze" problem,
    stand well back, put a piece of sticky tape across those big lips of
    yours, and let somebody who isn't a "linux pusher" answer the question.

    Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
    have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
    software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
    have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
    windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
    windows thing.

    The orginal poster especially if they are new to this group will most
    likely give up and go elsewhere since they dont want to know about linux
    what they want is a straight up answer from somebody who knows what they
    are talking about and isn't a linux pusher.

    So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    vs windows thread???

    Jase
    Jason X, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Jason X wrote:
    > So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    > windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    > their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    > a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    > vs windows thread???

    but linux is better yo. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 26, 2004

  3. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:52:00 +1200, Jason X wrote:

    > What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
    > dealers standing on street corner.
    >
    > Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
    > the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.
    >
    > Tell you what im glad that they dont sell linux door to door, because
    > you guys are worse than a bunch of mormon's trying to push their goods
    > on you everytime you answer the door bell.
    >
    > "Divine" next time you see somebody with a so called "windoze" problem,
    > stand well back, put a piece of sticky tape across those big lips of
    > yours, and let somebody who isn't a "linux pusher" answer the question.
    >
    > Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
    > have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
    > software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
    > have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
    > windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
    > windows thing.
    >
    > The orginal poster especially if they are new to this group will most
    > likely give up and go elsewhere since they dont want to know about linux
    > what they want is a straight up answer from somebody who knows what they
    > are talking about and isn't a linux pusher.
    >
    > So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    > windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    > their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    > a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    > vs windows thread???
    >
    > Jase

    OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell you
    what OS they are using..

    I find hard to be a drug pusher when the solution is "free" (well normally,
    of course it does cost time but all software does).

    Most people don't even know about newsgroups these days .. and they give up
    easily anyway..

    wogers nemesis, Sep 26, 2004
  4. Jason X

    Malcolm Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:13:44 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:
    >

    >>>So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    >>>windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    >>>their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    >>>a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    >>>vs windows thread???
    >>>
    >>>Jase

    >>OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell you
    >>what OS they are using..

    > Nice!
    >
    > MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
    >
    > Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
    >

    > Divine

    Hey...don't forget Solaris x86 ;-)

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Jason X

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:13:44 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:

    >> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    >> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    >> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    >> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    >> vs windows thread???
    >>
    >> Jase

    > OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell you
    > what OS they are using..

    Nice!

    MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.

    Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  6. Jason X

    Harry Guest

    Jason X wrote:

    > What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
    > dealers standing on street corner.

    Bad analogy. Drug dealers dont give anything away for free.

    > Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
    > the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.

    So if they are using Windows how come they have so many problems?

    > Tell you what im glad that they dont sell linux door to door, because
    > you guys are worse than a bunch of mormon's trying to push their goods
    > on you everytime you answer the door bell.

    As you said, they dont sell linux door to door.
    Therefore your mormon an alog, by your own admisssion, is stupid.

    > "Divine" next time you see somebody with a so called "windoze" problem,
    > stand well back, put a piece of sticky tape across those big lips of
    > yours, and let somebody who isn't a "linux pusher" answer the question.
    >
    > Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
    > have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
    > software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
    > have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
    > windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
    > windows thing.
    >
    > The orginal poster especially if they are new to this group will most
    > likely give up and go elsewhere since they dont want to know about linux
    > what they want is a straight up answer from somebody who knows what they
    > are talking about and isn't a linux pusher.
    >
    > So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    > windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    > their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    > a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    > vs windows thread???

    Good on you jase.
    Harry, Sep 26, 2004
  7. Jason X

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:48:35 +1200, Malcolm wrote:

    >> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.

    > Hey...don't forget Solaris x86 ;-)

    True! And thanks for giving me a copy, Malcolm. It was a pleasure
    meeting up with you.

    Box number 6, once it's back together again, will be running Solaris x86.

    Speaking of meeting up with people...

    When will be the next meeting in Wellington for regulars of nz.comp?

    Anyone interested in such a soiree?

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    , Sep 26, 2004
  8. Jason X

    thing Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > wrote:

    >>> OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even
    >>> tell you
    >>> what OS they are using..

    >> Nice!
    >>
    >> MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
    >>
    >> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > Hey...don't forget Solaris x86 ;-)

    ouch....what an awful product.....

    Sun's answer to Linux.....lol

    As for OSx its way better than OS9....OS9 looked naff and was not very
    stable, now the OSx desktop is way cool. Interesting the preview of
    Longhorn I saw was very OSx like, except its 2 or 3 or 4 years away....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Sep 26, 2004
  9. Jason X

    Cheetah Guest

    Jason X wrote:

    > What the hell is up with the linux pushers, you guys are like drug
    > dealers standing on street corner.
    >
    > Every time somebody has a problem that they want an answer for, up pops
    > the linux pusher with no helpful advice other than to use linux.

    I know where you are coming from - it can get a bit boring to have Linux
    mentioned every time someone has an issue.

    Since I make a living on Linux I'm pretty much in the hot seat when it comes
    to implementing it in the real world. Advocacy is all very well, but the
    "why not switch" thread often underestimates the cost and difficulty of
    switching.

    What I have seen is that advocates who are more concerned with pushing the
    Linux agenda than understanding the clients requirements can do more bad
    than good. There are stories out there of Linux gone wrong - just as there
    are stories of Linux done right, and it has *nothing* at all to do with the
    technology.

    However, getting back on topic, often we hear of users having problems with
    Windows which are simply non-issues on Linux right now, and the people who
    have the issues just don't know there is an alternative out there that
    could solve their issues overnight.

    For example, my mum is running Windows 95 on a old 200 Mhz pentium. Its
    bogged down with all kinds of spyware and junk through running unprotected
    for years, and god knows where the install media is. She needs a new
    machine - but she is... well to be blunt not very technically minded. She
    is used to Outlook and IE.

    Well last night I took over my laptop with Suse on it just to see if she
    could use it. The good news is that she could. Firefox for browsing is
    pretty much like IE (except better with tabs), and Kontact provides
    everything she wants in terms of what she has now with Outlook. Only no
    irritating "press F5" to send messages. Without me telling her about Linux
    she just wouldn't have even known about it.

    And thats why you get people trying to educate about Linux - because most
    people don't even know about it - and there is a very real chance it could
    not only resolve an issue at hand, but also improve their whole computing
    experience. We don't have millions of dollars to do adverts on TV, and
    therefore public forums are one of the few places we can educate/brain wash
    people :)
    Cheetah, Sep 26, 2004
  10. Jason X

    Steve Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Nice!
    >>>
    >>> MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
    >>>
    >>> Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
    >>>

    >>> Divine
    >>>

    >> Hey...don't forget Solaris x86 ;-)
    >>

    > ouch....what an awful product.....
    >
    > Sun's answer to Linux.....lol

    No... Sun currently supports both Slowlaris ( SPARC and X86) and linux.

    > As for OSx its way better than OS9....OS9 looked naff and was not very
    > stable, now the OSx desktop is way cool. Interesting the preview of
    > Longhorn I saw was very OSx like, except its 2 or 3 or 4 years away....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What about the OS9 I was using in the mid 80's?

    Steve
    Steve, Sep 26, 2004
  11. Jason X

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Jason X wrote:
    >> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    >> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    >> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    >> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    >> vs windows thread???

    > but linux is better yo. :)

    That maybe : so why are you using windows to post this then.
    Rebel Lord, Sep 26, 2004
  12. Jason X

    Steve Guest

    Cheetah wrote:
    > Jason X wrote:

    [snip]
    > And thats why you get people trying to educate about Linux - because most
    > people don't even know about it - and there is a very real chance it could
    > not only resolve an issue at hand, but also improve their whole computing
    > experience. We don't have millions of dollars to do adverts on TV, and
    > therefore public forums are one of the few places we can educate/brain wash
    > people :)

    I think it was BillG who did the brainwashing that we're now trying to undo!

    Steve
    Steve, Sep 26, 2004
  13. Jason X

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:24:16 +1200, Cheetah wrote:

    > What I have seen is that advocates who are more concerned with pushing the
    > Linux agenda than understanding the clients requirements can do more bad
    > than good. There are stories out there of Linux gone wrong - just as there
    > are stories of Linux done right, and it has *nothing* at all to do with the
    > technology.

    I'd agree 100% with that.

    A solution should be the best solution for a given situation.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    , Sep 26, 2004
  14. Jason X

    thing Guest

    Steve wrote:

    8><---

    >> ouch....what an awful product.....
    >>
    >> Sun's answer to Linux.....lol

    > No... Sun currently supports both Slowlaris ( SPARC and X86) and linux.

    Sun only support Linux because customers would bugger off even quicker
    if they did not.

    Sun recently went on a tour win back wall street, I dont think it went
    to well....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Sep 26, 2004
  15. Jason X

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:27:02 +1200, Steve wrote:

    >>> Hey...don't forget Solaris x86 ;-)
    >>>

    >> ouch....what an awful product.....
    >>
    >> Sun's answer to Linux.....lol

    > No... Sun currently supports both Slowlaris ( SPARC and X86) and linux.

    Aparrently Solaris is a dog on anything other than a positively enormous
    system.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
    , Sep 26, 2004
  16. Jason X

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:36:04 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Sun only support Linux because customers would bugger off even quicker
    > if they did not.
    >
    > Sun recently went on a tour win back wall street, I dont think it went
    > to well....

    True - agreed.

    And I get the impression that Sun would drop support for Linux just as
    soon as it can get away with doing so.

    Things don't look too good for Java either.

    Divine

  17. Rebel Lord wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>Jason X wrote:
    >>
    >>>So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    >>>windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    >>>their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    >>>a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    >>>vs windows thread???

    >>but linux is better yo. :)

    > That maybe : so why are you using windows to post this then.

    heh, notice the freaking smilie... it was tongue in fucking cheek.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 26, 2004
  18. Jason X

    steve Guest

    Jason X wrote:

    > Now i have got nothing at all against linux i think that it is great to
    > have a choice other than windows , for those people that feel microsoft
    > software is not up to scratch, or they want a "free" OS etc, what i do
    > have a problem with is the pushers who jump into every thread about
    > windows and then hijack the whole thread and turn it into a linux vs
    > windows thing.

    That isn't what happens.....

    Someone posts with a problem. That problem may have many possible solutions.

    If someone else has a solution to that problem, they will post in response.

    If you don't like the solution offered......don't use it.

    Spitting tacks because someone dared to offer a solution you don't want is
    both pointless and ungrateful.

    More and more people are using Linux....so you are quite right: more people
    WILL offer it as a solution.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Sep 26, 2004
  19. Jason X

    steve Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:13:44 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:
    >
    >>> So next time you see a thread where somebody has a question about
    >>> windows, ask yourself "Do i want to help this person out by answering
    >>> their question, or do i want to be a pusher, and not help them out with
    >>> a valid answer, and instead hijack the thread and turn it into a linux
    >>> vs windows thread???
    >>>
    >>> Jase

    >> OK, I'll start suggesting Mac OS X then. Most posters don't even tell
    >> you what OS they are using..

    > Nice!
    >
    > MacOS X is basically a flavour of BSD Unix with a fancy GUI on top.
    >
    > Both BSD and Linux are safe and worthy systems to use.
    >
    > Divine

    Agreed.

    Either one is an excellent solution to many of the problems Windows users
    face.....particularly with respect to fresh installs and security
    generally.

    steve, Sep 26, 2004
  20. Jason X

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Rebel Lord wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>but linux is better yo. :)

    >> That maybe : so why are you using windows to post this then.

    > heh, notice the freaking smilie... it was tongue in fucking cheek.

    But you were adressing a non-lateral, tight-focus, whinging Windows user.

    Insight isn't something you should expect.

    (Runs and ducks for cover.....chewing on the tongue packed into his cheek).

    steve, Sep 26, 2004