    realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
    to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
    four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    impossible, Oct 9, 2008

  2. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    > machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
    > to the retailer.
    >
    > According to MSI:
    >
    > http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-model...
    >
    > "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
    > about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
    > netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
    > Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
    > get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
    > realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
    > to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
    > four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
    newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
    obvious from these recent postings.

    Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

    peterwn, Oct 9, 2008

  3. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-09, impossible <> wrote:
    > I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    > machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
    > to the retailer.

    Cavenat empotor. (spelling ?)

    So what? as Pink sings. Is this not to be expected?

    Now, who pays this blogger?

    Vista, lets us not forget this improvement from Microsoft.

    Gordon, Oct 9, 2008
  4. impossible

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 01:02:23 GMT, impossible wrote:

    > I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    > machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
    > to the retailer.

    It's called taking out the trash.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Oct 9, 2008
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    >> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
    >> them
    >> to the retailer.
    >>
    >> According to MSI:
    >>
    >> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-model...
    >>
    >> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
    >> talked
    >> about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return
    >> of
    >> netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
    >> Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what
    >> they
    >> get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and
    >> start
    >> realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend
    >> time
    >> to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at
    >> least
    >> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    > The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
    > newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
    > obvious from these recent postings.
    >
    > Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

    Typical dodge from someone auditioning to be an IBM mouthpiece. peterwn
    never speaks to the issue -- never. That doesn't change the fact that users
    retrun Linux machines at 4 times thrate they return anything else. Got an
    answer for that, you miserable little troll?

    impossible, Oct 9, 2008
  6. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Allistar wrote:
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    >>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
    >>> them to the retailer.
    >>>
    >>> According to MSI:
    >>>

    >> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon
    >>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
    >>> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the
    >>> return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause
    >>> of
    >>> that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know
    >>> what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with
    >>> Linux and start realizing that it's not what they are used to. They
    >>> don't
    >>> want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The
    >>> return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than
    >>> Windows
    >>> XP netbooks."

    >> Hardly a fault with Linux. Being "different" isn't a bad thing.

    > not what they are used to........not it does not work....ah well.....so
    > pay...thats the beauty of choice.....

    Exactly. And it's no wonder then that Asus has replaced Linmux on most of
    its EEE's with XP. Given a choice, users tend to prefer Windows.

    impossible, Oct 9, 2008
  7. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2008-10-09, impossible <> wrote:
    >> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    >> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
    >> them
    >> to the retailer.
    >>

    > Cavenat empotor. (spelling ?)
    >
    > So what? as Pink sings. Is this not to be expected?

    I would have expected that, yes, because there are hardly any desktop
    applications that Linux users can use. Staring at a bare desktop gets old
    pretty quick.

    > Now, who pays this blogger?

    It's never a good idea to delelet from my posts the answer to your question.

    According to MSI:

    http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon

    "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
    about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
    netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
    Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
    get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
    realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
    to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
    four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    > Vista, lets us not forget this improvement from Microsoft.

    Nah, it's all about the applications -- other than a browser, Linux has none
    that people want.

    impossible, Oct 9, 2008
  8. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:46:05 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
    >>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
    >>> them
    >>> to the retailer.
    >>>
    >>> According to MSI:
    >>>
    >>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-model...
    >>>
    >>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
    >>> talked
    >>> about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return
    >>> of
    >>> netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
    >>> Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what
    >>> they
    >>> get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and
    >>> start
    >>> realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend
    >>> time
    >>> to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at
    >>> least
    >>> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    >> The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
    >> newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
    >> obvious from these recent postings.
    >>
    >> Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

    > LOL, that idea occured to me to, anyone else?

    And so Bret the Snake climbs out from his hole once agin to hiss. Now scat!

    impossible, Oct 9, 2008
  9. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:26:48 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Bret" <> wrote in message

    >>> LOL, that idea occured to me to, anyone else?

    >> And so Bret the Snake climbs out from his hole once agin to hiss. Now
    >> scat!

    > Interesting choice of insult, Bret the snake has a son named Jake which
    > brings to mind the wrestler Jake the snake "ROBERTS"

    Hmm....I suppose it's good for you to have expertise in *something*.

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  10. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon

    >>> not what they are used to........not it does not work....ah well.....so
    >>> pay...thats the beauty of choice.....
    >>>

    >> Exactly. And it's no wonder then that Asus has replaced Linmux on most of
    >> its EEE's with XP. Given a choice, users tend to prefer Windows.

    > Yes, because that's what most people are used to. That's changing though,
    > if
    > only slowly.
    > --

    You could get away with saying that....oh, what?....5-6 years ago? But
    without good desktop applications, Linux use will continue to stagnate.
    Users are initially attracted to Linux machines because they're cheaper. But
    once they realize that the alternatives to Microsoft Office, Autocad,
    Photoshop, etc that run on Linux are abysmal by comparison, they trade those
    machines in for the real thing -- Windows.

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  11. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Cavenat empotor. (spelling ?)
    >>>
    >>> So what? as Pink sings. Is this not to be expected?
    >>>

    >> I would have expected that, yes, because there are hardly any desktop
    >> applications that Linux users can use. Staring at a bare desktop gets
    >> old
    >> pretty quick.

    > Sounds like you haven't used a Linux desktop for about 8 years then. I use
    > Linux solely, and there's nothing missing that I need or want.

    But then you develop Linux applications for a living, so you're hardly
    typical. Of that 2% of all users who run Linux, I strongly suspect that
    1.99% dual boot Windows.

    >>> Now, who pays this blogger?
    >>>

    >> It's never a good idea to delelet from my posts the answer to your
    >> question.
    >>
    >> According to MSI:
    >>

    > http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon
    >>
    >> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
    >> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the
    >> return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause
    >> of
    >> that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know
    >> what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with
    >> Linux and start realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't
    >> want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The
    >> return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows
    >> XP netbooks."
    >>
    >>> Vista, lets us not forget this improvement from Microsoft.

    >> Nah, it's all about the applications -- other than a browser, Linux has
    >> none that people want.

    > What application types do "people" want that are not available for Linux?
    > --

    With application choices, as with most things in life, it's rarely about
    generic "types". People quite specifically want Microsoft Office, Autocad,
    Photoshop, and similar flagship products that have long been the standard
    in business, government, and education.

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  12. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:10:37 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Bret" <> wrote in message

    >>> Interesting choice of insult, Bret the snake has a son named Jake which
    >>> brings to mind the wrestler Jake the snake "ROBERTS"

    >> Hmm....I suppose it's good for you to have expertise in *something*.

    > nvgfvnbvnnc

    I said scat!

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  13. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 10, 12:11 am, "impossible" <> wrote:

    > > The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
    > > newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
    > > obvious from these recent postings.

    > > Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

    > Typical dodge from someone auditioning to be an IBM mouthpiece.

    I neither work for IBM nor am I a IBM shill or astroturfer.

    > peterwn
    > never speaks to the issue -- never.

    I have no intention of speaking to the issues raised by M$ employees
    or other shills since it is not worth the effort.

    > That doesn't change the fact that users
    > retrun Linux machines at 4 times thrate they return anything else. Got an
    > answer for that, you miserable little troll?

    Be that as it may.

    The purpose of my posting was not to engage in a debate on the
    'issues' raised, but merely to pont out that M$ shills and
    astroturfers are at work again.

    peterwn, Oct 10, 2008
  14. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "oneofus" <> wrote in message news:48ef0e40$...
    > impossible wrote:
    > "Bret" <> wrote in message

    >>> nvgfvnbvnnc

    >> I said scat!
    >>

    > Phew,nasty fetish you've got there.

    And you've turned into this sexually obsessed stalker. Scat to you, too!!

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  15. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 10, 12:11 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >

    >> > The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
    >> > newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
    >> > obvious from these recent postings.

    >> > Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

    >> Typical dodge from someone auditioning to be an IBM mouthpiece.

    > I neither work for IBM nor am I a IBM shill or astroturfer.

    Is that what they told you to say? It's not very convincing.

    >> peterwn
    >> never speaks to the issue -- never.

    > I have no intention of speaking to the issues raised by M$ employees
    > or other shills since it is not worth the effort.

    MSI computing raised this issue, not Microsoft:

    http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon

    "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
    about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
    netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
    Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
    get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
    realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
    to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
    four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    So what's your excuse for dodging the issue now?

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  16. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    > http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon

    >>> Yes, because that's what most people are used to. That's changing
    >>> though,
    >>> if
    >>> only slowly.
    >>> --

    >> You could get away with saying that....oh, what?....5-6 years ago? But
    >> without good desktop applications, Linux use will continue to stagnate.

    > It already has "good desktop applications".

    If that were the case, desktop usage of Linux would have long ago eclipsed
    Windows. After all, Linux is a free download. If the expereince of using it
    were even half as good as the experience of using Windows, I;m quite sure
    that users would not be returning Linux machines to the vendors at such a
    high rate.

    >> Users are initially attracted to Linux machines because they're cheaper.

    > Price is irrelevant to a lot, including me.

    You are in a tiny minority.

    >> But once they realize that the alternatives to Microsoft Office, Autocad,
    >> Photoshop, etc that run on Linux are abysmal by comparison, they trade
    >> those machines in for the real thing -- Windows.

    > Heh. I find the alternative to MS Office and Photoshop to be more than
    > adequate (I've never needed autocad).
    > --

    "Adequate." Is that how you market **your** software.

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  17. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like you haven't used a Linux desktop for about 8 years then. I
    >>> use Linux solely, and there's nothing missing that I need or want.
    >>>

    >> But then you develop Linux applications for a living, so you're hardly
    >> typical.

    > No I don't. I develop applications for a number of different platforms,
    > Linux is just one of them.

    This isn't a job interview, Allistar. We all know where you're coming from,
    and your bias is clear. If only 1-in-50 users run Linux at all, no more than
    1-in-1000 of those would boast: "I use Linux solely, and there's nothing
    missing that I need or want."

    >> Of that 2% of all users who run Linux, I strongly suspect that
    >> 1.99% dual boot Windows.

    > Possibly. I'd suggest that is so they can play games.

    Among **many** other things, yes.

    > http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon

    >>> What application types do "people" want that are not available for
    >>> Linux?

    >> With application choices, as with most things in life, it's rarely about
    >> generic "types". People quite specifically want Microsoft Office,

    > I use OpenOffice.org and it suits my "Office suite" needs fine.

    It's not all about you, Allistar.

    >> Autocad,

    > Never needed it.

    It's not all about you, Allistar.

    >> Photoshop,

    > I use the Gimp, works fine for me and I do graphic art as part of my job.

    It's not all about you, Allistar.

    >> and similar flagship products that have long been the standard
    >> in business, government, and education.

    > You're talking about particular applications (that the developers have
    > decided to only release on a single platform) as a reason why other
    > platforms are no good?

    To an end-user, a platform is "no good" if it won't support the premier
    applications they want to run. This clearly comes as something of a shock to
    you, but it's the best explanation for why Linux use contin ues to stagnate.

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  18. impossible

    AD. Guest

    On Oct 10, 11:42 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
    > about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
    > netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
    > Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
    > get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
    > realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
    > to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
    > four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    So the difference is purely just that people are lazy, didn't
    understand what they were buying, didn't understand anything else
    existed, and Windows XP is just what they're already used to.

    Talk about damning with faint praise. No wonder Vista has struggled.

    MS should saved the money they spent on Vista and later operating
    systems - who knew they could've just stuck with XP and run an
    advertising campaign for XP along the lines of "Windows XP - it's just
    what you're used to!". Then they could drop version naming altogether
    and remove one more thing that might confuse their customers. Or maybe
    they could go one further and rename Windows to "The computer" and
    save them even more confusion.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 10, 2008
  19. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >>> impossible wrote:

    >>> There are a number of applications I use on Linux that are not available
    >>> on
    >>> Windows - I consider the choice available to me as a Linux user to be
    >>> much greater than when I ran Windows.

    >> It's not all about you, Allistar.

    > No, it's not. It's about the assertion that "Linux is no good" and "Linux
    > is
    > not suited to desktop use". By showing how I use it I have proven that
    > those assertions are patently false.

    It's not that that "Linux is no good" or "Linux is not suited to desktop
    use". What I have consistently arguied for at least the past 5 years is that
    no professional quality desktops applications have been written to run on
    Linux. Without those applications, you have an os that no one is interested
    in using, no matter how good it might be in theory.

    impossible, Oct 10, 2008
  20. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, it's not. It's about the assertion that "Linux is no good" and
    >>> "Linux
    >>> is
    >>> not suited to desktop use". By showing how I use it I have proven that
    >>> those assertions are patently false.

    >> It's not that that "Linux is no good" or "Linux is not suited to desktop
    >> use". What I have consistently arguied for at least the past 5 years is
    >> that no professional quality desktops applications have been written to
    >> run on Linux. Without those applications, you have an os that no one is
    >> interested in using, no matter how good it might be in theory.

    > I run a business using Linux based applications, so unless you have a
    > different definition of what "professional quality desktop applications"
    > means, you are wrong.

    You represent one of the 2% using Linux -- I get that. And you like the
    applications you run -- I'm happy for you. But 49 out of 50 users define
    professional-quality desktop applications in terms of Microsoft Office,
    Photoshop, Autocad, etc -- and they choose Windows as their os because
    Windows runs those apps. Do you seriously have a problem coming to grips
    with that piece of reality?

    impossible, Oct 13, 2008