Linux Gamers: WineX 4.0 "Cedega" is released

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119

    TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega

    Issued on Tuesday June 22, 2004

    Toronto/Ottawa -- June 22, 2004 -- TransGaming today unveils the milestone
    release of version 4.0 of its flagship product, WineX, which has been
    renamed to Cedega. Cedega allows Windows ® games to seamlessly and
    transparently run under Linux, out-of-the-box, with outstanding performance
    and equivalent game-play. Cedega 4.0 includes support for Microsoft ®
    DirectX ® 9.0, significantly broadening the scope and availability of the
    latest triple "A" titles for avid Linux gamers. The landmark release of
    Cedega 4.0 adds support for new blockbuster DirectX 9.0 titles such as
    EA's? Battlefield Vietnam?, Eidos'? Hitman: Contracts ©, and LucasArts' ©
    Star Wars?Galaxies?, bringing the total number of games supported under
    Cedega to well over 300. Furthermore, Cedega features unprecedented support
    for NCSoft's ® recently released massive multiplayer online game, City of
    Heroes ® and Blizzard Entertainment's ® unreleased but highly anticipated
    World of WarCraft ®.

    From a technical standpoint, this release sets a new benchmark for the
    support of games on Linux. "The Cedega 4.0 release contains more
    technological innovation than any previous TransGaming release and truly
    represents a milestone in game software portability. Cedega 4.0 supports
    titles that make use of the DirectX 9.0 API as well as advanced Pixel and
    Vertex shaders. Cedega 4.0 also includes a new advanced inter-process
    communication architecture that can double the speed of games which make
    heavy use of Win32 kernel synchronization primitives," remarks Gavriel
    State, CTO & Co-CEO of TransGaming Technologies.

    To keep pace with the growth of Linux worldwide and to more effectively meet
    consumer demands internationally, TransGaming is also pleased to announce
    the European launch of Cedega 4.0. European customers and subscribers can
    now pay in Euros, a feature that has been much anticipated and will cater
    specifically to the rapidly growing Linux community in European countries.
    Cedega 4.0 includes an updated version of its user friendly interface,
    Point2Play, with multiple language support for English, Dutch, Danish,
    Portuguese and German.

    .....rest is on the web site......

    steve, Jun 22, 2004

  2. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:28:28 +1200, steve wrote:

    > http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
    >
    > TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega

    All good news there. Thanks for posting that article.

    Divine

    --
    "Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are often portrayed as a threat to all
    that is good and decent. When we seek the SAME rights as others, these

    Divine, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Divine wrote:
    >>http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
    >>TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega

    > All good news there. Thanks for posting that article.

    Can either of you post the link to their game support DB?
    I had a look, but can't find it.
    I just want to check a few games against it... might be worth using :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 22, 2004
  4. steve

    Jackson Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
    >
    > TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega
    >
    > Issued on Tuesday June 22, 2004
    >
    > Toronto/Ottawa -- June 22, 2004 -- TransGaming today unveils the milestone
    > release of version 4.0 of its flagship product, WineX, which has been
    > renamed to Cedega. Cedega allows Windows ® games to seamlessly and
    > transparently run under Linux, out-of-the-box, with outstanding

    performance
    > and equivalent game-play.

    LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
    Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
    desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
    copy the king.

    Jackson.

    Jackson, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
    >>> TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega

    >> All good news there. Thanks for posting that article.

    > Can either of you post the link to their game support DB?
    > I had a look, but can't find it.
    > I just want to check a few games against it... might be worth using :)

    A quick google found it...
    http://www.transgaming.com/gamepage.php?gameid=1060

    but umm... from the page Im trying to get to.

    Slashdotted
    Looks like we're being slashdotted. We apologise for the inconvenience;
    please come back later.
    -- The TransGaming web team.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Jackson wrote:
    > LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
    > Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
    > desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
    > copy the king.

    How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 22, 2004
  7. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:57:01 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Jackson wrote:
    >> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
    >> new? Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make
    >> it as a desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're
    >> still trying to copy the king.

    > How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

    Ummm... three? No, five! Wait.. I give up...

    ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 22, 2004
  8. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:47:57 +1200, Jackson wrote:

    > LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
    > new? Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make
    > it as a desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're
    > still trying to copy the king.

    Yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn - heard it all before - don't believe a word of
    it.

    Divine

    --
    "What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
    Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

    Divine, Jun 22, 2004
  9. steve

    theseus Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Jackson wrote:
    >> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
    >> new? Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it
    >> as a desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
    >> trying to copy the king.

    > How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

    Not many
    If any

    theseus, Jun 22, 2004
  10. steve

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >"steve" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
    >>
    >> TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega
    >>
    >> Issued on Tuesday June 22, 2004
    >>
    >> Toronto/Ottawa -- June 22, 2004 -- TransGaming today unveils the milestone
    >> release of version 4.0 of its flagship product, WineX, which has been
    >> renamed to Cedega. Cedega allows Windows ® games to seamlessly and
    >> transparently run under Linux, out-of-the-box, with outstanding

    >performance
    >> and equivalent game-play.

    >LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
    >Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
    >desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
    >copy the king.
    >
    >Jackson.

    Except that some people can actually see the 'king's' new clothes for
    what they are.
    http://www.angelfire.com/film/dannykaye/KingsClothes.htm

    GraB, Jun 23, 2004
  11. steve

    Allistar Guest

    Jackson wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119
    >>
    >> TransGaming Unveils WineX 4.0 And Announces New Product Name: Cedega
    >>
    >> Issued on Tuesday June 22, 2004
    >>
    >> Toronto/Ottawa -- June 22, 2004 -- TransGaming today unveils the
    >> milestone release of version 4.0 of its flagship product, WineX, which
    >> has been renamed to Cedega. Cedega allows Windows ® games to seamlessly
    >> and transparently run under Linux, out-of-the-box, with outstanding

    > performance
    >> and equivalent game-play.

    > LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
    > new? Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it
    > as a desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
    > trying to copy the king.

    The only desktop workstations I use both run Linux. And the amount of things
    you can do in Linux that you can't in Windows is one of the reasons why I
    make this choice.

    Linux has made it as a desktop OS.

    > Jackson.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jun 23, 2004
  12. steve

    Tim Buchanan Guest

    On 2004-06-22, Jackson <> wrote:
    > LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
    > Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
    > desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
    > copy the king.

    Here at my home we have 2 computers, one running Windoze XP and one running
    Debian Sarge. There are two reasons why we don't switch the Windoze box over
    to Linux:
    a) Half of the games don't work (my favourite being Flight Sim 2004)
    b) the other people in the house who barely know how to operate Windoze
    would be lost when it comes to Linux, and they don't even want to
    learn.

    Unfortunately, until both these conditions change, us poor Linux souls will
    have to suffer with Redmond's worst for a while.

    --
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you

    Tim Buchanan, Jun 23, 2004
  13. In article <>, Tim Buchanan <> was seen to type:
    >On 2004-06-22, Jackson <> wrote:
    >> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something new?
    >> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
    >> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still trying to
    >> copy the king.

    >Here at my home we have 2 computers, one running Windoze XP and one running
    >Debian Sarge. There are two reasons why we don't switch the Windoze box over
    >to Linux:
    >a) Half of the games don't work (my favourite being Flight Sim 2004)
    >b) the other people in the house who barely know how to operate Windoze
    > would be lost when it comes to Linux, and they don't even want to
    > learn.

    You fix this by changin over an not telling em. They'll learn :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 23, 2004
  14. steve

    Divine Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 03:15:15 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > You fix this by changin over an not telling em. They'll learn :)

    LOL - nice!

    Divine

    --
    "Some drink from the fountain of knowledge. Jerry Falwell only gargled."

    Divine, Jun 23, 2004
  15. Hi there,

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do something
    >> new?
    >> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it as a
    >> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
    >> trying to
    >> copy the king.

    Hey perhaps it would interest you to know that Wine (the non-gaming
    oriented one) runs latest winzip around 5% faster emulated than it
    runs natively under Windows...

    > How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

    We don't get upset anymore....this kind of troll needs to grow some
    'smarts' if he is to upset us...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 23, 2004
  16. steve

    cobs Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Jackson wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL linux still trying to emulate windows. Wont they ever do
    >>> something new?
    >>> Linux should stick to the server market, they're never gonna make it
    >>> as a
    >>> desktop OS, not with Windows still around. Sad that they're still
    >>> trying to
    >>> copy the king.

    > Hey perhaps it would interest you to know that Wine (the non-gaming
    > oriented one) runs latest winzip around 5% faster emulated than it
    > runs natively under Windows...

    Bah, nothing.

    Why using my Amiga, I can run multiple virtual Macs using Amax, each
    running multiple PeeCee emulator copies running Winzip under
    Looooonghorn - and they're all 97% faster than Linux running WinZip
    under emulation.

    In fact, each emulated system, running within each emulated system
    running within each emulated system, running.. you get the idea - is
    faster than the parent. It's the ultimate emulation loop, and will knock
    that pesky NEC earth thingy of the list after I add a little more fast
    ram. How? it's simply a stock Amiga, an Emplant board, and BLAZEMONGER.
    ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE!!!

    Linux doesn't stand a chance until it gets BLAZEMONGER - but we all know
    that can't happen 'cos you don't have a Fat Angus. Nyah.

    >> How many trolls does it take to upset nz.comp?

    > We don't get upset anymore....this kind of troll needs to grow some
    > 'smarts' if he is to upset us...

    No chance, Trolls use crappy Atari STs.

    cobs, Jun 23, 2004
  17. cobs wrote:
    > Why using my Amiga, I can run multiple virtual Macs using Amax, each
    > running multiple PeeCee emulator copies running Winzip under
    > Looooonghorn - and they're all 97% faster than Linux running WinZip
    > under emulation.
    >
    > In fact, each emulated system, running within each emulated system
    > running within each emulated system, running.. you get the idea - is
    > faster than the parent. It's the ultimate emulation loop, and will knock
    > that pesky NEC earth thingy of the list after I add a little more fast
    > ram. How? it's simply a stock Amiga, an Emplant board, and BLAZEMONGER.
    > ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE!!!
    >
    > Linux doesn't stand a chance until it gets BLAZEMONGER - but we all know
    > that can't happen 'cos you don't have a Fat Angus. Nyah.

    Have I missed something, Am I in a time warp thats gone back ~12 years
    to when amiga was supreme? or is Amiga back and no-one told me.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 23, 2004
  18. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:49:17 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Have I missed something, Am I in a time warp thats gone back ~12 years to
    > when amiga was supreme? or is Amiga back and no-one told me.

    It's just a satirical jab at the Linux and Windows trolls, comparing them
    to the old Amiga vs Atari trolls.

    It seems Divines counterproductive Linux efforts have bred a new batch of
    idiotic pro Windows trolls.

    BTW - the Amiga kicked the STs ass!!! ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 23, 2004
  19. steve

    theseus Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:49:17 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > Have I missed something, Am I in a time warp thats gone back ~12 years

    > > when amiga was supreme? or is Amiga back and no-one told me.

    > It's just a satirical jab at the Linux and Windows trolls, comparing them
    > to the old Amiga vs Atari trolls.
    >
    > It seems Divines counterproductive Linux efforts have bred a new batch of
    > idiotic pro Windows trolls.
    >
    > BTW - the Amiga kicked the STs ass!!! ;)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Yeah but Atari STs with Steinberg and C-Lab ruled the music business.
    OTOH Porn would not be the same without that Amiga genlock titling :) and
    DIY music videos would not be the same without DPaint.
    And EA would not be the monster game company it is today.

    theseus, Jun 23, 2004
  20. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:38:55 +0100, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >> BTW - the Amiga kicked the STs ass!!! ;)

    > Except if you were a muso like me....the ST kicked derriere in that field,
    > but when I got my Falcon030 in 1994 it kicked the A1200 into total
    > oblivion... :)

    Granted.

    The Amiga kicked the STs ass in everything except musician stuff!!!!

    :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 24, 2004