Linux Foundation engineer moves to Microsoft

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mickey Mouse, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Mickey Mouse <> wrote:

    > Leading Linux Foundation engineer leaves to take on major role in
    > Microsoft's Interoperability Lab.
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070609/tc_cmp/199902850

    So what.... the people who do 99% of the work are most likely employed
    as full time programmers somewhere in industry, be it Adobe, Microsoft,
    Apple,Redhat, etc etc etc.

    whoisthis, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Mickey Mouse

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:10:36 +1200, whoisthis <>
    exclaimed:

    >In article <>,
    > Mickey Mouse <> wrote:
    >
    >> Leading Linux Foundation engineer leaves to take on major role in
    >> Microsoft's Interoperability Lab.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070609/tc_cmp/199902850

    >So what.... the people who do 99% of the work are most likely employed
    >as full time programmers somewhere in industry, be it Adobe, Microsoft,
    >Apple,Redhat, etc etc etc.

    LOL!

    Fred Dagg, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for Microsoft,
    it's worth starting with this item
    <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
    ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
    spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build process!!!".

    It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid individuals;
    but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their individual
    intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective stupidity.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Mickey Mouse

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for Microsoft,
    >it's worth starting with this item
    ><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
    >ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
    >spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build process!!!".
    >
    >It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid individuals;
    >but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their individual
    >intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective stupidity.

    I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Mickey Mouse

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for Microsoft,
    > it's worth starting with this item
    > <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    > the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
    > ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
    > spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build process!!!".

    LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar. It's a common
    programmer trait. One (non-OSS) project that I worked on many years ago
    had a piece of code that was commented "Cater for morons". Another piece
    had a comment "If it survived all those tests and arrived here, it's a
    freaking miracle!"

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 10, 2007
  7. Mickey Mouse

    Shane Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >
    >> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >> Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >> process!!!".
    >>

    > LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar. It's a common
    > programmer trait. One (non-OSS) project that I worked on many years ago
    > had a piece of code that was commented "Cater for morons". Another piece
    > had a comment "If it survived all those tests and arrived here, it's a
    > freaking miracle!"
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    The last piece of code I handed in for school had the comment ( in a catch)
    "If it makes it here the technical term is zOmG!!!!!"

    --
    Q: Why do mathematicians often confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.

    Shane, Jun 10, 2007
  8. Mickey Mouse

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:13 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >
    >>If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >>Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >>the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >>years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >>tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >>process!!!".
    >>
    >>It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid
    >>individuals; but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their
    >>individual intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective
    >>stupidity.

    > I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

    So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
    do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

    Gordon, Jun 10, 2007
  9. Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    In message <466b80bb$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >
    >> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >> Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >> process!!!".
    >>

    > LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar.

    By all means point up some examples.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2007
  10. Mickey Mouse

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    On 10 Jun 2007 05:10:32 GMT, Gordon <> exclaimed:

    >On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:13 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >>>Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >>><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >>>the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >>>years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >>>tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >>>process!!!".
    >>>
    >>>It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid
    >>>individuals; but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their
    >>>individual intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective
    >>>stupidity.

    >> I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

    >So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
    >do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

    Why bother? Whilst I am a software developer by trade, the software I
    use is a tool, not a religion. I'd prefer it just work, thank you.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 10, 2007
  11. Mickey Mouse

    Shane Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:13 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >>>Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >>><http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >>>the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >>>years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >>>tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >>>process!!!".
    >>>
    >>>It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid
    >>>individuals; but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their
    >>>individual intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective
    >>>stupidity.

    >> I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

    > So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
    > do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

    Given his claims that OSS code is all about cloning commercial software
    concepts, do you really think he has seen any OSS code, let alone
    understood it?

    --
    Q: What do you get when you cross a mosquito with a rock climber?
    A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector and a scalar.

    Shane, Jun 10, 2007
  12. Mickey Mouse

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:25:25 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    exclaimed:

    >>> I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

    >> So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
    >> do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

    >Given his claims that OSS code is all about cloning commercial software
    >concepts, do you really think he has seen any OSS code, let alone
    >understood it?

    I would wager good money that I've seen a heck of a lot more code than
    you, "Shane", both open source and otherwise.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Mickey Mouse

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <466b80bb$>, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> >
    >>> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >>> Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >>> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >>> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >>> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >>> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >>> process!!!".
    >>>

    >> LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar.

    > By all means point up some examples.

    From the kernel source:

    * What if bugger tells us to go beyond page size?
    * 450gx probing is buggered at the moment. help me obi-wan.
    "Run out of tries - force the bugger shut!\n"
    /* It's buggered. */ (several places)
    /* ewww... some of these buggers have / in name... */
    * This is just plain dumb. We should move the bugger to drivers/net/wan,

    ....and that is just searching on 'bugger'. If I search on 'idiot'
    there's more:
    /* The PCMCIA people are idiots. */ (several places)
    what the hell these idiots break standrads established

    ....and so on....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:19:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <466b80bb$>, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> >
    >>> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >>> Microsoft, it's worth starting with this item
    >>> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >>> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >>> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >>> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >>> process!!!".
    >>>

    >> LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar.

    > By all means point up some examples.

    From the 2.6.19 kernel and associated source:

    * Piles of crap below pretend to be a parser for module and kernel
    * What lunatic came up with this shit?
    * me so stupid? Anathema to whoever designed this non-sense
    /* This code sucks. But you should have seen it before! --RR */
    * layout is so braindead it's a major headache doing it.
    /* XXX: this piece of crap really wants some error handling.. */
    * Fill me in stupid !!!
    * all the algo is pure shit and should be replaced
    * This grot added by DaveM, blame him for ugliness.
    /* This is a stupid hack to satisfy some grotty implicit include-file
    * the saved uid too. If you don't like this, blame the bright people

    Mickey Mouse, Jun 10, 2007
  15. Mickey Mouse

    BrianM Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 21:02:22 +1200, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > Leading Linux Foundation engineer leaves to take on major role in
    > Microsoft's Interoperability Lab.
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070609/tc_cmp/199902850

    Shit !. for a moment there I thought it was someone important.

    cheers
    brianM

    BrianM, Jun 10, 2007
  16. Mickey Mouse

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    > Microsoft,
    > it's worth starting with this item
    > <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    > the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few years
    > ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change tabs to
    > spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build process!!!".
    >
    > It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid individuals;
    > but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their individual
    > intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective stupidity.

    Kind of explains why Microsoft quickly collapsed and completely disappeared
    off the face of the planet back in 1987. Bill Gates was last known to be
    working a soup kitchen helping the poor...
    many of which happen to be Linux users like yourself.
    If only people and companies hadn't turned their backs on Microsoft back in
    1987 who knows how big Microsoft might've become as we head towards 2008
    instead of only being nothing but a faint distant memory to remember it by.

    Meanwhile back in real world the stores are are selling computers that will
    run damn good software produced by companies from all over the planet. The
    fact that over 80 year olds can easily use these new computers only goes to
    show how good the software is.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 10, 2007
  17. Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    Hi there,

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On 10 Jun 2007 05:10:32 GMT, Gordon <> exclaimed:
    >

    >>On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:34:13 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 23:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>><_zealand> exclaimed:

    >>>I've seen some pretty stupid things in OSS code, too, Lawrence.

    >>So did you tell the authors, so that they could improve on their code? I
    >>do hope so. For you suggestion would have been considered seriously.

    > Why bother? Whilst I am a software developer by trade, the software I
    > use is a tool, not a religion. I'd prefer it just work, thank you.

    You'd prefer it just to work huh? Last week work had a file
    server, print server, and internet gateway all cause significant
    outages. In addition after performing a weekly virus update I got
    a virus alert upon re-logging in. Several other machines in our
    office got hit, and the virus appears to have come from emails
    that came from another office. I lost 2 hours recreating my Win
    system profile to purge the thing, as McAfee couldn't clean it.

    My conclusion is that I regularly lose over an hour a day dealing
    with Windows inadequacies, yet some in other offices think thats
    a normal part of their job. It shouldn't be.

    I'm not gonna start on how *slow* my Core 2 Duo workstation with 2GB
    RAM is with seemingly menial stuff in Revit MEP or AutoCAD 2008.

    I'd prefer it just to work, and for sure it does, but only after
    fucking around fixing things, and enduring poor performance.

    Why do these things happen Fred? You seem to enjoy pointing out
    alleged weaknesses of Linux, yet you support on OS that places far
    more cost on a business than I believe is warranted.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 10, 2007
  18. Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    In message <1181469192.213253@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    >> If you want to know something of what it's like to write code for
    >> Microsoft,
    >> it's worth starting with this item
    >> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/>. It mentions
    >> the Windows 2000 source code that was leaked onto the Internet a few
    >> years ago, full of comments like "We are such morons" and "If you change
    >> tabs to spaces, you will be killed!!! Doing so fucks the build
    >> process!!!".
    >>
    >> It's not necessarily that Microsoft's programmers are stupid individuals;
    >> but that, collectively, within the Microsoft culture, their individual
    >> intelligence largely cancels out, to create a collective stupidity.

    > Meanwhile back in real world the stores are are selling computers that
    > will run damn good software produced by companies from all over the
    > planet.

    <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/04/a_security_mark.html>

    1) I don't think it's just security software,
    2) Note the comments comparing open-source with closed-source.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2007
  19. Mickey Mouse

    peterwn Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >

    > My conclusion is that I regularly lose over an hour a day dealing
    > with Windows inadequacies, yet some in other offices think thats
    > a normal part of their job. It shouldn't be.
    >
    > I'm not gonna start on how *slow* my Core 2 Duo workstation with 2GB
    > RAM is with seemingly menial stuff in Revit MEP or AutoCAD 2008.
    >
    > I'd prefer it just to work, and for sure it does, but only after
    > fucking around fixing things, and enduring poor performance.
    >
    > Why do these things happen Fred? You seem to enjoy pointing out
    > alleged weaknesses of Linux, yet you support on OS that places far
    > more cost on a business than I believe is warranted.

    This can't be right. All these Total Cost of Ownership studies keep
    showing that Windows is cheaper overall and there are other reports
    showing that Linux and its applications have far many more
    vulnerabilities than Windows. Never mind that these studies make
    sweeping assumptions such that if handed in as University assignments,
    would get E grades.

    Are you saying that Microsoft is a 'Mickey Mouse' outfit?

    And you run a small time shop and are disagreeing with all these
    heavyweight studies showing just how fantastically economic Windows is
    compared with Linux. It looks as it is high time for Steve to send his
    goon squad (armed with chairs) in to deal with you for preaching such
    heresy, then treat your boss to a weekend at a Queenstown resort to
    brainw... er educate him.

    peterwn, Jun 10, 2007
  20. Re: Linux Foundation engineer can't save Microsoft

    In message <13mjfbvffiugp.15bp6j2ewc0re$>, Mickey Mouse
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:19:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> LOL! I bet if you look at OSS code you'd see similar.

    >> By all means point up some examples.

    > From the 2.6.19 kernel and associated source:
    >
    > * Piles of crap below pretend to be a parser for module and kernel

    Incomplete comment.

    > * What lunatic came up with this shit?

    From arch/i386/mach-visws/setup.c, headed "Unmaintained SGI Visual
    Workstation support". Guess where the "lunatic" they were referring to
    might have been working, and on what?

    > * me so stupid? Anathema to whoever designed this non-sense

    Another incomplete comment.

    > /* This code sucks. But you should have seen it before! --RR */

    From net/ipv4/route.c. Not sure what code it's referring to, nor who "RR" is
    (doesn't match up with any of the names credited at the start).

    > * layout is so braindead it's a major headache doing it.

    From arch/alpha/kernel/osf_sys.c. The complete comment is quite interesting:

    /*
    * We can't actually handle ufs yet, so we translate UFS mounts to
    * ext2fs mounts. I wouldn't mind a UFS filesystem, but the UFS
    * layout is so braindead it's a major headache doing it.
    *
    * Just how long ago was it written? OTOH our UFS driver may be still
    * unhappy with OSF UFS. [CHECKME]
    */

    > /* XXX: this piece of crap really wants some error handling.. */

    From drivers/media/video/usbvideo/usbvideo.c, interestingly enough the
    following code _does_ seem to have actual error checks in it (in my
    2.6.20-gentoo kernel).

    > * Fill me in stupid !!!

    In drivers/ide/ide-taskfile.c, looks like more explanation to be provided in
    a header comment, rather than missing code.

    > * all the algo is pure shit and should be replaced

    Worth looking at the context of this incomplete comment, in
    net/ipv4/tcp_input.c.

    > * This grot added by DaveM, blame him for ugliness.

    This one I'll grant you. From drivers/scsi/qlogicpti.c, the full comment is:

    /* This grot added by DaveM, blame him for ugliness.
    * The issue is that in the 2.3.x driver we use the
    * host_scribble portion of the scsi command as a
    * completion linked list at interrupt service time,
    * so we have to store the done function pointer elsewhere.
    */

    > /* This is a stupid hack to satisfy some grotty implicit include-file

    From include/asm-v850/percpu.h, the complete comment is quite amusing. :)

    > * the saved uid too. If you don't like this, blame the bright people

    The next line of which reads " * in the POSIX committee and/or USG." (from
    kernel/sys.c).

    Moral: It really helps to understand the context of the above extracts,
    rather than extracting and dumping mindless greps.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2007