    linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    El Penguino, Mar 25, 2005

  2. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:

    > Hi peeps,
    >
    > I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    > SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    > first time.
    >
    > What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
    > Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    > the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    > linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
    its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
    Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    packages make life unnecessarily difficult
    Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
    relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
    *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
    Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
    why it is so popular.
    If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
    HTH

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 25, 2005

  3. El Penguino

    Steve Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >

    >>Hi peeps,
    >>
    >>I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    >>SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    >>first time.
    >>
    >>What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
    >>Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    >>the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    >>linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Chris

    > the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
    > its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
    > Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    > packages make life unnecessarily difficult
    > Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
    > relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
    > *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
    > Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
    > why it is so popular.
    > If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
    > HTH

    .... except that there's no way that you'll be able to run anything
    except a text-based version of Linux on this hardware. Because of that,
    I'd use straight debian.

    However, without any graphics at all, this will give you a very skewed
    version of where linux is currently at.

    And *don't* learn linux on Slackware, whatever you do! There are just
    too many things that are done differently to most mainstream distros,
    and only for perversity's sake as far as I can see.

    $0.02,

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 25, 2005
  4. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:47:48 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi peeps,
    >>>
    >>>I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    >>>SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    >>>first time.
    >>>
    >>>What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
    >>>Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    >>>the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    >>>linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Chris

    >> the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
    >> its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
    >> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    >> packages make life unnecessarily difficult
    >> Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
    >> relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
    >> *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
    >> Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
    >> why it is so popular.
    >> If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
    >> HTH

    > ... except that there's no way that you'll be able to run anything
    > except a text-based version of Linux on this hardware. Because of that,
    > I'd use straight debian.
    >
    > However, without any graphics at all, this will give you a very skewed
    > version of where linux is currently at.
    >
    > And *don't* learn linux on Slackware, whatever you do! There are just
    > too many things that are done differently to most mainstream distros,
    > and only for perversity's sake as far as I can see.
    >
    > $0.02,
    >

    > Steve

    er sh*t, right you are the 100 MHz proc and 48 MB of RAM does make GUI's a
    PITA
    can I revoke my previous post and say debian or slackware :p with an sshd
    interface

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/
    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 25, 2005
  5. El Penguino

    Dave Taylor Guest

    El Penguino <> wrote in

    > Hi peeps,
    >
    > I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    > SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    > first time.
    >
    > What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
    > Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    > the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    > linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    Sounds like one of the old HP servers. Big, noisy and heavy.
    You don't say what video card.
    You could make it a small server/gateway?
    Check out contribs.org

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 25, 2005
  6. El Penguino

    Mackin Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:

    <snip>

    > Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    > packages make life unnecessarily difficult

    Why do you say this? I've been using Mandrake for about 3 years now and
    I've never found any problem with the URPMI package management system. I'm
    intrigued to know why you feel it makes life "unnecessarily difficult"

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Mar 25, 2005
  7. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:17:34 +1200, Mackin wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    >> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    >> packages make life unnecessarily difficult

    > Why do you say this? I've been using Mandrake for about 3 years now and
    > I've never found any problem with the URPMI package management system. I'm
    > intrigued to know why you feel it makes life "unnecessarily difficult"
    >
    > Mackin.

    when I tried it it meant rpms, tarballs, and other package systems were
    more than a PITA
    this becomes an extreme problem for packages not yet put into mdk
    it could also be said this is an issue with debian and .deb packages

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/
    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 25, 2005
  8. El Penguino

    Mackin Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:17:34 +1200, Mackin wrote:
    >
    >> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    >>> packages make life unnecessarily difficult

    >> Why do you say this? I've been using Mandrake for about 3 years now and
    >> I've never found any problem with the URPMI package management system.
    >> I'm intrigued to know why you feel it makes life "unnecessarily
    >> difficult"
    >>
    >> Mackin.

    > when I tried it it meant rpms, tarballs, and other package systems were
    > more than a PITA
    > this becomes an extreme problem for packages not yet put into mdk
    > it could also be said this is an issue with debian and .deb packages

    Hmmm, interesting. I've never had any problem with non-mdk packages,
    although I must admit to not having installed a hell of a lot of them.
    Most everything I need to available in a mdk package.

    I guess YMMV is true for everyone.

    Cheers,
    Mackin.
    Mackin, Mar 25, 2005
  9. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On 25 Mar 2005 14:12:10 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds like one of the old HP servers. Big, noisy and heavy.
    >You don't say what video card.
    >You could make it a small server/gateway?
    >Check out contribs.org

    it is certainly big and heavy. I don't actually remember what brand it
    is, but it is one of the big names. It has a HUGE card to do the RAID
    , almost A4 size , and on-board S3 chipset ( I think) to do the video.
    The 4 HDDs are in hot-swappable slots behind a fold out front panel.
    Only 1 GB each, so I won't be able to serve much.

    It has a network card and SCSI tape and CD-ROM drives.
    I don't know exactly what i want to do with it either, thought I might
    play around with writing programs in C and see if I can get them to
    talk to micro-controllers out the ports.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    El Penguino, Mar 25, 2005
  10. El Penguino wrote:
    > What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?

    ummm, I'd recommend nothing recent...

    Try to find an older distro from ~ that age, although personally I'd
    flag it and grab a P3 1Ghz for ~$200 as it would be a lot easier, and
    you could use all of todays distros.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 25, 2005
  11. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > You could make it a small server/gateway?
    > Check out contribs.org

    heh, it'd probably make a good little smoothwall or IPcop gateway,
    although there isn't much to learn from them, they just go.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 25, 2005
  12. El Penguino

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:47:48 +1200, Steve wrote:
    >

    >>Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>>the current 'flavour of the month(s)' for newbies is xandros
    >>>its debian based so comes with excellent credentials
    >>>Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    >>>packages make life unnecessarily difficult
    >>>Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
    >>>relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
    >>>*nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)
    >>>Most people find linux daunting to begin with, but soon enough discover
    >>>why it is so popular.
    >>>If its a hardware RAID array it should appear invisible to the OS (AFAIK)
    >>>HTH

    >>... except that there's no way that you'll be able to run anything
    >>except a text-based version of Linux on this hardware. Because of that,
    >>I'd use straight debian.
    >>
    >>However, without any graphics at all, this will give you a very skewed
    >>version of where linux is currently at.
    >>
    >>And *don't* learn linux on Slackware, whatever you do! There are just
    >>too many things that are done differently to most mainstream distros,
    >>and only for perversity's sake as far as I can see.
    >>
    >>$0.02,
    >>

    >>Steve

    > er sh*t, right you are the 100 MHz proc and 48 MB of RAM does make GUI's a
    > PITA
    > can I revoke my previous post and say debian or slackware :p with an sshd
    > interface

    Or something like SMEserver (or whatever it is called this month) - even
    though the system won't run a GUI locally, you can still run a web based
    UI like SMEserver has, or install Webmin and use that.

    More memory would be nice, though, and there might be issues with the
    RAID array. SMEServer automatically makes multiple IDE drives into
    arrays, but might not support SCSI raid controllers very well.

    Realistically, though, to get the best out of Linux you should be
    running it on a system at least as fast as any you'd run XP on,
    otherwise you're going to get the wrong impression of what it is all about.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 25, 2005
  13. El Penguino

    Peter Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    > packages make life unnecessarily difficult

    I don't know what you mean by ".mdk packages". Mandrake actually uses rpm
    packages, and the urpmi tool takes care of updates and dependencies for
    you. I've used it for years and found it just fine. (Easier than Windows,
    actually, as you don't have to muck around with those long product ID
    activation code things.)

    > Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
    > relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
    > *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)

    Slackware is not a good choice for a beginner.

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 25, 2005
  14. El Penguino

    Peter Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    > SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    > first time.

    It is possible to get Linux running on that hardware, but it would probably
    have to be a non-gui system. Modern Linux distros need better hardware.
    For someone starting out, you will probably find such limited hardware very
    frustrating.

    There are some distros specifically designed for limited hardware. I
    haven't used these, but have heard of Vector Linux.
    http://www.vectorlinux.com/

    If you want to start out with Linux, you might be better off getting some
    reasonable hardware, and using a modern distro like Mandrake, Suse or
    Xandros. This will give a better result for your efforts. After getting
    to grips with some of the Linux basics, you can then play round with
    getting something up on the limited hardware.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 25, 2005
  15. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:18:13 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >> Mandrake has been a perinneal(sp?) for beginners although the .mdk
    >> packages make life unnecessarily difficult

    > I don't know what you mean by ".mdk packages". Mandrake actually uses rpm
    > packages, and the urpmi tool takes care of updates and dependencies for
    > you. I've used it for years and found it just fine. (Easier than Windows,
    > actually, as you don't have to muck around with those long product ID
    > activation code things.)
    >
    >> Slackware 10.1 has been a personal favourite for some time and is
    >> relatively easy to use for the beginner (BTW what do you plan on using
    >> *nix for? a desktop, a server, or a platform for learning Unix)

    > Slackware is not a good choice for a beginner.
    >

    > Peter

    do me a small favour
    rip over to http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    and install yahoo messenger it comes as rpm for redhat, deb for debian, or
    tgz for FreeBSD
    (I must admit some time since I bothered with mandrake so would'nt be
    overly surprised if I find I have spoken out of turn)

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/
    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 25, 2005
  16. El Penguino

    steve Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > Hi peeps,
    >
    > I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    > SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    > first time.
    >
    > What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
    > Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    > the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    > linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    You want a low-memory distro. Maybe Vector Linux. It's intended for old
    hardware. I'm not sure the Canadian guy behind it is still developing
    it....but v3.2 was pretty good and shouldn't be too hard to find.

    You also want to run in text-mode only - no GUI - *unless* you are using
    an OLD version of Linux from - say - 5-7 years ago. Then you can have
    some GUI.... :)

    steve, Mar 25, 2005
  17. El Penguino

    Axle Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > Hi peeps,
    >
    > I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    > SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    > first time.
    >
    > What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon?
    > Will the ( I think it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    > the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    > linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    SMEserver from http://contribs.org/modules/phpwiki/index.php?Downloads
    if you want to start with a working server.

    Or Debian
    Servers don't usually do great displays
    Start with the base install then learn how apt-get works which is easy,
    install ssh, samba, ftp, apache servers, you should be able to explore
    heaps that way by using puTTY to ssh from your Windows desktop. Learn to
    get samba working so you can drag and drop files in Windows, learn to do
    http stuff and see it on your Windows browser, and ftp that you can get
    to from Windows Explorer.
    Next apt-get install X and a lightweight desktop like fluxbox and
    vncserver and you should be able to open a graphic desktop in a vnc client.

    Theres a great book called Linux Rute User that can guide you through
    the basics.
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
    Axle, Mar 25, 2005
  18. El Penguino

    Axle Guest

    steve wrote:
    > El Penguino wrote:
    >
    >> Hi peeps,
    >>
    >> I have inheirited an old Pentium server , 100 MHz, 48 MB and 4 x 1GB
    >> SCSI HDDs. i thought I might try messing around with Linux for my
    >> first time.
    >>
    >> What linux distro will be a goer , do you reckon? Will the ( I think
    >> it is ) RAID array cause too many headaches with
    >> the installation ? I have very little exposure to *nux and none to
    >> linux, so if it was too hard I would flag it.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chris

    > You want a low-memory distro. Maybe Vector Linux. It's intended for old
    > hardware. I'm not sure the Canadian guy behind it is still developing
    > it....but v3.2 was pretty good and shouldn't be too hard to find.
    >
    > You also want to run in text-mode only - no GUI - *unless* you are using
    > an OLD version of Linux from - say - 5-7 years ago. Then you can have
    > some GUI.... :)

    A current Debian stable with fluxbox or icewm will work, you still have
    the option of installing kernel 2.2.20-386
    Axle, Mar 25, 2005
  19. El Penguino

    Mackin Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    <snip>

    > do me a small favour
    > rip over to http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    > and install yahoo messenger it comes as rpm for redhat, deb for debian, or
    > tgz for FreeBSD
    > (I must admit some time since I bothered with mandrake so would'nt be
    > overly surprised if I find I have spoken out of turn)

    You don't need to install Yahoo messenger, Mandrakelinux (and several other
    distros) come with Kopete which handles Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, IRC and several
    others, already preinstalled.

    But just for fun I went to http://messenger.yahoo.com/ and downloaded the
    RH9 RPM, double-clicked on it and it installed without problems on my
    Mandrakelinux 10.1 box.

    Maybe it's time you revisited Mandrakelinux then you could actually offer
    some informed comments. :)

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Mar 25, 2005
  20. On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:43:38 +1200, Mackin wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> do me a small favour
    >> rip over to http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    >> and install yahoo messenger it comes as rpm for redhat, deb for debian, or
    >> tgz for FreeBSD
    >> (I must admit some time since I bothered with mandrake so would'nt be
    >> overly surprised if I find I have spoken out of turn)
    >>

    > You don't need to install Yahoo messenger, Mandrakelinux (and several other
    > distros) come with Kopete which handles Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, IRC and several
    > others, already preinstalled.

    it was the file format that was being trialled

    > But just for fun I went to http://messenger.yahoo.com/ and downloaded the
    > RH9 RPM, double-clicked on it and it installed without problems on my
    > Mandrakelinux 10.1 box.

    thank you thats what I wanted to know

    > Maybe it's time you revisited Mandrakelinux then you could actually offer
    > some informed comments. :)

    thank you no.
    although I will refrain from making ill-informed comments (or try to)

    > Mackin.

    \__U_/
    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 25, 2005