    choices, could I have some recommendations ?
    Thanks gentlemen.
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Apr 23, 2008

  2. grumpyoldhori

    PeeCee Guest

    "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    news:fun5qh$3lh$...

    > Friend has a couple of laptops around 256 meg,
    > with 128 of memory.
    > He was asking if there was something to replace 98.
    > I had a look but there seems to be hundreds of
    > choices, could I have some recommendations ?
    > Thanks gentlemen.
    > grumpy

    Or Not Dam small Linux http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/ if you want
    something with a bit more meat on it.

    FWIW DSL and NDSL seem to install on a wider range of PC's than the major
    distro's.
    I keep a pile of magazine Linux CD's handy and install what ever takes my
    fancy on post cleanup PC's.
    Time and time again Ubuntu, SUSE, Red Hat etc end up with a blank screen and
    no way of fixing without command line 'adjustments'
    DSL and NDSL just seem to work on the same hardware.
    I've also had quite a bit of success with Mandriva but that requires a
    beefier PC.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 24, 2008

  3. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > What distro would you recommend for a Pentium MMX laptop with 48megs of
    > RAM?

    I went to distrowatch.com, did a search for "older hardware mmx", and got a
    lot of hits mentioning DeLi Linux.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 25, 2008
  4. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > Their website seems not to have torrents for DSL.

    Isn't it--ahem, damn small--only 50MB? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 25, 2008
  5. grumpyoldhori

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-04-25, Murray Symon <> wrote:
    > Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    >>> Isn't it--ahem, damn small--only 50MB? :)

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> But with a torrent that is 50mb that I can download as I like, and any
    >> interruptions to the phone line for any reason will not impact on what
    >> I'd have already downloaded.

    > Just use wget, it can be interrupted & continued (use the -ci options).

    Indeed, wget is a great wee programme. Use it alot.

    Gordon, Apr 25, 2008
  6. grumpyoldhori

    Ross Guest

    On 25 Apr 2008 11:30:23 +1200, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:17:20 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >> grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >>

    >>> Friend has a couple of laptops around 256 meg, with 128 of memory.
    >>> He was asking if there was something to replace 98. I had a look but
    >>> there seems to be hundreds of choices, could I have some
    >>> recommendations ? Thanks gentlemen.
    >>> grumpy

    >> I have found that Debian Etch will work happily on a PIII with 128MB of
    >> RAM as long as you don't run too many things at once. That is using
    >> Fluxbox window manager which is light-weight.
    >>
    >> However, OpenSuse (10.2) was not happy on 128MB, so best to avoid that
    >> one. That's the price for having more functionality built-in from the
    >> standard install.
    >>
    >> Murray.

    >What distro would you recommend for a Pentium MMX laptop with 48megs of
    >RAM?

    FreeDOS, LOL

    Ross, Apr 25, 2008
  7. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:59:53 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    >>
    >>> But with a torrent that is 50mb that I can download as I like, and any
    >>> interruptions to the phone line for any reason will not impact on what
    >>> I'd have already downloaded.

    >> Just use wget, it can be interrupted & continued (use the -ci options).

    > Yes - but how does that assist with uploading?

    You mentioned only downloading.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 25, 2008
  8. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:31:33 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:
    >
    >> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    >>> I mentioned a *torrent*

    >> If there is no torrent available and you insist on sharing it via
    >> peer-to-peer networking, then maybe you could use some initiative and
    >> start your own torrent for it after downloading it?

    > There is a torrent, and I've downloaded it and am not helping to seed
    > it. :eek:)

    If you don't want to seed, then you're just being a leech. So why bother
    with a torrent at all? Particularly since this kind of behaviour can get
    you banned.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 26, 2008