Linux for Laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://distrowatch.com

    --
    Virginia law forbids bathtubs in the house; tubs must be kept in the yard.

    Lumberjack, Dec 29, 2005

  3. Shane

    Enkidu Guest

    Lumberjack wrote:
    > Anyone suggest a Linux bistro suitable for a laptop
    >
    > semperon 3000+
    > 512 mb ram
    >
    > I really just want to have a play

    I suggest trying one of the 'live' disks first to see if it it OK with
    the hardware.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Shane

    CyiPherX Guest

    Most popular distro at the moment Ubuntu www.ubuntulinux.org with a new
    release every 6 months, and the best linux forum on the web
    www.ubuntuforums.org, what more could you want. :)

    As you can tell i use it on my notebook, and it works real well!.

    CyiPherX
    CyiPherX, Dec 29, 2005
  5. Shane

    Lumberjack Guest

    Think i'll download a live cd & see how that goes... ubuntu seems like
    it could be the answer

    Thanks

    Lumberjack, Dec 29, 2005

    Mark Robinson, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Shane

    steve Guest

    Lumberjack wrote:
    > Anyone suggest a Linux bistro suitable for a laptop
    >
    > semperon 3000+
    > 512 mb ram
    >
    > I really just want to have a play

    Xandros 3.0 (plus the latest updates) would be a good distro to try. Do
    the base install, then provided you have the network going, install
    Service pack 2 and then upgrade the kernel 2.6.11-x1 - and that would
    see the devices supported increased.

    Knoppix 4.x would be good,too. It's a bootable "live" DVD. Then at least
    you can try it in a non-destructive way and see how it goes before doing
    a hard drive install.

    Background:

    Generally, Linix kernel 2.6.13 or later distro has Centrino support
    included.....but the last KNoppix CD I tried (v3.9) worked fine with
    Centrino on an IBM Thinkpad T41.

    Note that 2.6.13 is very unlikely to included with any distro yet as it
    is still a very new kernel (September)

    The very latest kernel is 2.6.14.5 - out 3 days ago.

    www.kernel.org
    steve, Dec 29, 2005
  8. Shane

    Lumberjack Guest

    I have a copy of xandros.. will give that a try

    Lumberjack, Dec 29, 2005
  9. Shane

    smf Guest

    <snip snip>

    I installed Ubuntu today on my thinkpad - effortless - the only hassle was
    the WPA security settings on my wireless lan are not supported by the
    wireless ethernet card. I found something online describing how to complie
    the kernal for it to work .... might try that tonight....

    Gotta admit its a nice OS ....
    smf, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Shane

    steve Guest

    smf wrote:

    > <snip snip>
    >

    > I installed Ubuntu today on my thinkpad - effortless - the only hassle was
    > the WPA security settings on my wireless lan are not supported by the
    > wireless ethernet card. I found something online describing how to complie
    > the kernal for it to work .... might try that tonight....
    >
    > Gotta admit its a nice OS ....

    Ubuntu is a very nice distro.

    It's the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.

    Though I should say I haven't tried SuSE/Novell or Mandriva for a very long
    time. Gun shy.....but that's getting old and they are probably much better
    now.
    steve, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Shane

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > smf wrote:
    >

    >><snip snip>
    >>

    >>I installed Ubuntu today on my thinkpad - effortless - the only hassle was
    >>the WPA security settings on my wireless lan are not supported by the
    >>wireless ethernet card. I found something online describing how to complie
    >>the kernal for it to work .... might try that tonight....
    >>
    >>Gotta admit its a nice OS ....

    > Ubuntu is a very nice distro.
    >
    > It's the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.

    Xandros is the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.

    http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros#xandros

    ;)
    shannon, Dec 30, 2005
  12. Shane

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Xandros is the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.
    >
    > http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros#xandros
    >
    > ;)

    Interesting link and comments.

    Take the Ubuntu description and apply it to Xandros.....and it would be
    euqually accurate, though it would fail to communicate the meaning of "ease
    of use" that Xandros brings to the Linux desktop.

    Ubuntu is good.....but for fit, finish, polish and usability, Xandros is
    much better.

    Partly due to KDE being better than Gnome (more features / functions).

    But also partly due to Xandros having taken the time to integrate things
    like NFS support and removeable media support into the file browser in a
    way that I have not seen on any other Linux distro.
    steve, Dec 31, 2005
  13. Shane

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> Xandros is the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.
    >>
    >> http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros#xandros
    >>
    >> ;)

    > Interesting link and comments.
    >
    > Take the Ubuntu description and apply it to Xandros.....and it would be
    > euqually accurate, though it would fail to communicate the meaning of "ease
    > of use" that Xandros brings to the Linux desktop.
    >
    > Ubuntu is good.....but for fit, finish, polish and usability, Xandros is
    > much better.
    >
    > Partly due to KDE being better than Gnome (more features / functions).
    >
    > But also partly due to Xandros having taken the time to integrate things
    > like NFS support and removeable media support into the file browser in a
    > way that I have not seen on any other Linux distro.

    Xandros is excellent, its a great piece of work based on Debian and all
    the other projects that it packages.
    The great thing about open source is that all those little tweaks can be
    rolled back into Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, KDE, Gnome etc.

    Its good to see that they are going to incorporate the Nomachine
    NXserver, I hope its not at the penalty of increased cost.

    I've just been trialling it on Debian, its way better than RDP and VNC.
    shannon, Dec 31, 2005
  14. Shane

    smf Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Xandros is the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros#xandros
    >>>
    >>> ;)

    >> Interesting link and comments.
    >> Take the Ubuntu description and apply it to Xandros.....and it would be
    >> euqually accurate, though it would fail to communicate the meaning of
    >> "ease
    >> of use" that Xandros brings to the Linux desktop.
    >> Ubuntu is good.....but for fit, finish, polish and usability, Xandros is
    >> much better.
    >> Partly due to KDE being better than Gnome (more features / functions).
    >> But also partly due to Xandros having taken the time to integrate things
    >> like NFS support and removeable media support into the file browser in a
    >> way that I have not seen on any other Linux distro.
    >>

    > Xandros is excellent, its a great piece of work based on Debian and all
    > the other projects that it packages.
    > The great thing about open source is that all those little tweaks can be
    > rolled back into Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, KDE, Gnome etc.
    >
    > Its good to see that they are going to incorporate the Nomachine
    > NXserver, I hope its not at the penalty of increased cost.
    >
    > I've just been trialling it on Debian, its way better than RDP and VNC.

    hmmmmm - you've talked me into it - I'm gonna gove xandros a whirl now
    too ... :)
    smf, Dec 31, 2005
  15. Shane

    Enkidu Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> shannon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Xandros is the closest thing to Xandros I've seen in the Debian world.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros#xandros
    >>>
    >>> ;)

    >> Interesting link and comments.
    >> Take the Ubuntu description and apply it to Xandros.....and it would be
    >> euqually accurate, though it would fail to communicate the meaning of
    >> "ease
    >> of use" that Xandros brings to the Linux desktop.
    >> Ubuntu is good.....but for fit, finish, polish and usability, Xandros is
    >> much better.
    >> Partly due to KDE being better than Gnome (more features / functions).
    >> But also partly due to Xandros having taken the time to integrate things
    >> like NFS support and removeable media support into the file browser in a
    >> way that I have not seen on any other Linux distro.
    >>

    > Xandros is excellent, its a great piece of work based on Debian and all
    > the other projects that it packages.
    > The great thing about open source is that all those little tweaks can be
    > rolled back into Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, KDE, Gnome etc.
    >
    > Its good to see that they are going to incorporate the Nomachine
    > NXserver, I hope its not at the penalty of increased cost.
    >
    > I've just been trialling it on Debian, its way better than RDP and VNC.

    Hmm, RDP and VNC do different things. NXServer looks like a remote Xserver.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 31, 2005
  16. Shane

    Peter Guest

    Lumberjack wrote:
    > Anyone suggest a Linux bistro suitable for a laptop
    > semperon 3000+
    > 512 mb ram
    >
    > I really just want to have a play

    Selecting a distro can be rather emotional, as people sometimes
    enthusiastically advocate one or another. Actually, since they use GPL
    software, they have a lot in common.

    You should read ...
    http://wiki.linux.net.nz/SelectingADistribution

    and maybe try out the distro finder ...
    http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

    If you just want a play, then get a live CD which you can boot from CD (or
    DVD) and try without installing anything on your hard drive. Knoppix is
    popular for this. If downloading a DVD is too heavy, you can buy a copy
    for a few $ via mail order.
    But live distros are not as good as having one installed on the hard drive.

    As for choice of distro, I like Mandriva and have used it on laptops and
    PCs.

    Have fun!
    Just remember Linux is way different to that other OS, so there is a bit of
    a learning curve (as there is starting out with any new OS).

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jan 6, 2006