    which is why Fish is so useful :)

    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Apr 11, 2008

  2. In article <ftn8du$3rn$>, grumpyoldhori did write:

    > But, if an old hori truck driver can use linux 99% of the time,
    > any one can use it.

    Good on ya Grumpy. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008

  3. grumpyoldhori

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-04-11, grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    > Now what I know about software can be put on a pin head
    > with room to spare.
    > But, if an old hori truck driver can use linux 99% of the time,
    > any one can use it.
    > Yes, I have noticed it is a damn sight easier with the distro
    > I am using now, just go to Synaptic and choose the software
    > I want.

    In many ways synaptic, and its cousins, are the killer apps for
    Linux. Dependency hell banished to history.

    > One thing about linux, it stops the mokopuna from putting
    > games on my machine.

    They will learn.

    > What I like, all the software I need is loaded, with the
    > exception of some DVD playing stuff.

    So you have fixed this no problem via synaptic yes?

    > Yep, I still use Windows for google earth etc.

    Ms Penguin here. Google Earth runs very well on Linux you know. So do
    virtual machines.

    > I admit I wimp out in setting up a lot of linux network stuff,'
    > which is why Fish is so useful :)

    Oh course Fish are useful, eat them all the time ;-)
    Gordon, Apr 11, 2008
  4. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > One thing about linux, it stops the mokopuna from putting
    > games on my machine.

    The grandrat got on my Ubuntu machine and created shortcuts to Firefox
    on my desktop. You gotta watch the sprogs. Linux is no barrier.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 11, 2008
  5. grumpyoldhori

    peterwn Guest

    On Apr 11, 8:45 pm, grumpyoldhori <> wrote:
    > Now what I know about software can be put on a pin head
    > with room to spare.
    > But, if an old hori truck driver can use linux 99% of the time,
    > any one can use it.

    Watch it, mate. You are going to upset that old geezer "Impossible"
    peterwn, Apr 11, 2008
  6. In article <1207908251.143904@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    > No sign of Apple users going about their setups.

    You haven't seen some of the postings from "whoisthis", then? :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  7. grumpyoldhori

    Ross Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:45:17 +1200, grumpyoldhori
    <> wrote:

    > Now what I know about software can be put on a pin head
    > with room to spare.
    > But, if an old hori truck driver can use linux 99% of the time,
    > any one can use it.
    > Yes, I have noticed it is a damn sight easier with the distro
    > I am using now, just go to Synaptic and choose the software
    > I want.
    > One thing about linux, it stops the mokopuna from putting
    > games on my machine.
    > What I like, all the software I need is loaded, with the
    > exception of some DVD playing stuff.
    > Yep, I still use Windows for google earth etc.
    > I admit I wimp out in setting up a lot of linux network stuff,'
    > which is why Fish is so useful :)

    Google Earth runs fine in Ubuntu. Is your OS debian based?
    Ross, Apr 11, 2008
  8. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > No sign of Apple users going about their setups. Perhaps they're
    > just as content with what they have as many PC users who run Windows
    > and much non Microsoft software are.

    That's because Apple users are dimbulbs who don't realise that they can
    have anything other than what they are given. I recall trying to support
    Apple users who would not have *anything* installed on their Macs
    because "if it was necessary it would already be installed"!!

    They are even worse than Windows users.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 11, 2008
  9. In article <1207912238.228013@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> In article <1207908251.143904@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> No sign of Apple users going about their setups.

    >> You haven't seen some of the postings from "whoisthis", then? :)

    > At least someone is flying the Apple flag.

    So which is the good thing--that Apple users aren't going on about their
    setups, or that they are?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  10. grumpyoldhori

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:45:17 +1200, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Now what I know about software can be put on a pin head
    > with room to spare.
    > But, if an old hori truck driver can use linux 99% of the time,
    > any one can use it.
    > Yes, I have noticed it is a damn sight easier with the distro
    > I am using now, just go to Synaptic and choose the software
    > I want.
    > One thing about linux, it stops the mokopuna from putting
    > games on my machine.
    > What I like, all the software I need is loaded, with the
    > exception of some DVD playing stuff.
    > Yep, I still use Windows for google earth etc.
    > I admit I wimp out in setting up a lot of linux network stuff,'
    > which is why Fish is so useful :)

    Welcome to the world of minority computing.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Apr 11, 2008
  11. In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > Thats funny, I saw a research survey once that showed Mac users used
    > MORE applications than Windows users.

    Might have been true in the early 1990s. Don't think it applies any more.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  12. In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <ftnifc$nnu$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1207912238.228013@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >> > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> > message news:ftne4m$lg8$...

    >> > At least someone is flying the Apple flag.

    >> So which is the good thing--that Apple users aren't going on about their
    >> setups, or that they are?

    > All in reply to your FUD and ad nauseam "Linux good, Windows Bad" type
    > posts.

    Congratulations. Instead of following on from one self-confessed novice
    relating his success in using Linux, you have succeeded in hijacking this
    thread into yet another all-out OS flamefest. Chip on your shoulder getting
    bigger, is it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  13. In article <rvb9npzmf2h0$.1wj2wtxu6dvlg$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    <http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 12, 2008
  14. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <47ff4a4b$>, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> No sign of Apple users going about their setups. Perhaps they're
    >>> just as content with what they have as many PC users who run
    >>> Windows and much non Microsoft software are.
    >>>

    >> That's because Apple users are dimbulbs who don't realise that they
    >> can have anything other than what they are given. I recall trying
    >> to support Apple users who would not have *anything* installed on
    >> their Macs because "if it was necessary it would already be
    >> installed"!!
    >>
    >> They are even worse than Windows users.

    > Thats funny, I saw a research survey once that showed Mac users used
    > MORE applications than Windows users.

    Must've been taken before the Internet. Windows users install stuff
    without even realising, and I don't mean viruses. I cleaned out a
    Windows computer once that had tonnes of stuff downloaded that the user
    didn't know about. He didn't know that when you run games from these
    dodgy sites that it often downloads a stub and heaps of other stuff.

    Like Gator and those 'download accelerators'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 12, 2008
  15. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, whoisthis did
    > write:
    >
    >> Thats funny, I saw a research survey once that showed Mac users used
    >> MORE applications than Windows users.

    > Might have been true in the early 1990s. Don't think it applies any more.

    It wasn't true then, either.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 12, 2008
  16. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <ftnifc$nnu$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1207912238.228013@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> At least someone is flying the Apple flag.

    >> So which is the good thing--that Apple users aren't going on about their
    >> setups, or that they are?

    > All in reply to your FUD and ad nauseam "Linux good, Windows Bad" type
    > posts.

    No, "Linux good, Windows bad, Apple worse".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 12, 2008
  17. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <47fff30f$>,
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> whoisthis wrote:

    >>> All in reply to your FUD and ad nauseam "Linux good, Windows Bad" type
    >>> posts.
    >> >

    >> No, "Linux good, Windows bad, Apple worse".
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Why, My Mac can do everything linux can and more... Can you run iMovie,
    > iDVD, GarageBand, etc etc etc. I can LEGALLY run anything you can and
    > more.
    >
    > Linux Good, Windows OK, Mac Best.

    If the Macs are so good why are they coming to resemble the humble PC
    more and more? If MacOS was so good why did they switch to a version of
    Unix?

    There are equivalents for all those things that you mention.
    Incidentally GarageBand is a *toy*. Oh, and I miss out on magnificent
    programs like this:

    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/cards_puzzle/burgershop.html

    Big deal!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 12, 2008
  18. grumpyoldhori

    Enkidu Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <47fff290$>,
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> whoisthis wrote:

    >>> Thats funny, I saw a research survey once that showed Mac users used
    >>> MORE applications than Windows users.
    >>>

    >> Must've been taken before the Internet. Windows users install stuff
    >> without even realising, and I don't mean viruses. I cleaned out a
    >> Windows computer once that had tonnes of stuff downloaded that the user
    >> didn't know about. He didn't know that when you run games from these
    >> dodgy sites that it often downloads a stub and heaps of other stuff.
    >>
    >> Like Gator and those 'download accelerators'.

    > Install <> Use, and I don't include fluff , toys and spyware as
    > applications.

    How could they possibly use more apps when they resist having apps
    installed? And many apps don't even run on Macs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Apr 12, 2008
  19. Will Spencer wrote:

    > Welcome to the world of minority computing.
    >
    > -ws

    Why the scraping ?
    Was linux not developed from Unix, and Mac runs
    on Unix ?
    --
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Apr 12, 2008
  20. In article <ftp1tr$832$>, grumpyoldhori did write:

    > Was linux not developed from Unix ...

    Linux didn't develop "from" Unix as such. It was independently developed,
    but intended to work the same.

    > ... and Mac runs on Unix ?

    After a fashion. Though Apple has bastardized it a bit.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 12, 2008