    Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Feb 23, 2008

  2. On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:14:48 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    No.

    There is, however, a program that you can use to add or remove software.
    It will tell you what you've got installed.

    There is also another application (IIRC it's a part of the same suite)
    that can help you to configure the hardware that you've got. It too will
    tell you what hardware you have in that computer.

    IIRC there are several suites that can do that, depending on what GUI
    you've got installed.

    In Linux you can choose what GUI you want to use, and even if you don't
    want any GUI installed at all.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 23, 2008

  3. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    shane Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz did scribble:

    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?
    >
    > Lindsay Rollo
    > Wellington, New Zealand

    Software
    Depending on your distro and package management system software handled by that
    package manager can be interrogated for version and all installed
    eg. dpkg -l or rpm -qa
    (If you have installed software by means other than the package manager, then
    the package manager can not help you
    Hardware
    dmesg
    or
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    cat /proc/meminfo
    (depends on distro)
    There may be others.

    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick
    shane, Feb 23, 2008
  4. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    shane Guest

    shane did scribble:

    > lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz did scribble:
    >
    >> System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    >> hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    >> selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >>
    >> Is there a comparable Linux program ?
    >>
    >> Lindsay Rollo
    >> Wellington, New Zealand

    > Software
    > Depending on your distro and package management system software handled by
    > that package manager can be interrogated for version and all installed
    > eg. dpkg -l or rpm -qa
    > (If you have installed software by means other than the package manager, then
    > the package manager can not help you
    > Hardware
    > dmesg
    > or
    > cat /proc/cpuinfo
    > cat /proc/meminfo
    > (depends on distro)
    > There may be others.

    Oh I forget
    free (memory)
    and
    df -h (disk)
    and
    mount (devices mounted)
    lspci (list pci devices)
    lsusb (no prizes)

    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick
    shane, Feb 23, 2008
  5. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Enkidu Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    Yes, such programs are used to detect and set up hardware for "Live
    CDs". Kudzu is one. You can also use the Distro's GUI tools too.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Feb 23, 2008
  6. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:12:16 +1300, shane propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > shane did scribble:
    >
    >> lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz did scribble:
    >>
    >>> System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    >>> hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    >>> selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a comparable Linux program ?
    >>>
    >>> Lindsay Rollo
    >>> Wellington, New Zealand

    >> Software
    >> Depending on your distro and package management system software handled
    >> by that package manager can be interrogated for version and all
    >> installed eg. dpkg -l or rpm -qa
    >> (If you have installed software by means other than the package
    >> manager, then the package manager can not help you
    >> Hardware
    >> dmesg
    >> or
    >> cat /proc/cpuinfo
    >> cat /proc/meminfo
    >> (depends on distro)
    >> There may be others.
    >>

    > Oh I forget
    > free (memory)
    > and
    > df -h (disk)
    > and
    > mount (devices mounted)
    > lspci (list pci devices)
    > lsusb (no prizes)

    sudo lshw

    --

    Rob
    I like angles, but only to a degree.
    Rob Simpson, Feb 24, 2008
  7. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    As well as those suggestions made by others, dmesg will show you a lot about
    what hardware has been detected by the operating system and any problems.

    dmesg | less

    On the software side, your package manager in the place to look. That is
    distribution dependent. rpm in redhat, aptitude or synaptic in debian or ubuntu
    respectively.
    Mark Robinson, Feb 24, 2008
  8. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-24, Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote:
    > lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    >> hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    >> selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >>
    >> Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    > As well as those suggestions made by others, dmesg will show you a lot about
    > what hardware has been detected by the operating system and any problems.
    >
    > dmesg | less
    >
    > On the software side, your package manager in the place to look. That is
    > distribution dependent. rpm in redhat, aptitude or synaptic in debian or ubuntu
    > respectively.

    Ms Penguin here, on the software side of things Synaptic, if installed is a
    powerful weapon of mass infomation, and destruction should one so chose.
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2008
  9. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-23, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote:
    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    Which Distro are you riding?

    Mandrake, then Mandriva, and now joined by PCLinuxOS, have something MS
    Windows got right way back in my view, the control panel.

    Yes, its GUI, instead of commend line. :) :-( depending on your point of
    view.

    BTW, bot *not* expect Ms Penguin to give you the fish you want on any
    one day. You have to catch your own. Enjoy the different tastes.
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2008
  10. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    shane Guest

    Rob Simpson did scribble:

    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:12:16 +1300, shane propped his eyelids open with
    > toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> shane did scribble:
    >>
    >>> lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz did scribble:

    >>> Software
    >>> Depending on your distro and package management system software handled
    >>> by that package manager can be interrogated for version and all
    >>> installed eg. dpkg -l or rpm -qa
    >>> (If you have installed software by means other than the package
    >>> manager, then the package manager can not help you
    >>> Hardware
    >>> dmesg
    >>> or
    >>> cat /proc/cpuinfo
    >>> cat /proc/meminfo
    >>> (depends on distro)
    >>> There may be others.
    >>>

    >> Oh I forget
    >> free (memory)
    >> and
    >> df -h (disk)
    >> and
    >> mount (devices mounted)
    >> lspci (list pci devices)
    >> lsusb (no prizes)

    > sudo lshw

    Id never heard of that one before, nice, which made me go have a look for other
    ls commands.

    There is also
    lshal (hardware abstract layer)
    lspcmcia (laptops)
    lsmod (list all the modules loaded by the kernel, for the uninitiated this
    usually means all the drivers)

    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick
    shane, Feb 24, 2008
  11. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Allistar Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:

    > lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    >> hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    >> selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >>
    >> Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    > As well as those suggestions made by others, dmesg will show you a lot
    > about what hardware has been detected by the operating system and any
    > problems.
    >
    > dmesg | less
    >
    > On the software side, your package manager in the place to look. That is
    > distribution dependent. rpm in redhat, aptitude or synaptic in debian or
    > ubuntu respectively.

    dmesg is not reliable if being interpreted by software as the dmesg buffer
    can easily be cleared by the root user.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Feb 24, 2008
  12. In article <fpsc2j$7ul$>, shane did write:

    > Id never heard of that one before, nice, which made me go have a look for
    > other ls commands.

    Don't forget sysfs and procfs. Look in /proc and /sys with ordinary
    file-manipulation commands (ls, less), and you will see lots of "files"
    (not real files on disk, they're purely figments of the kernel) giving you
    detailed information about your system (/proc) and hardware (/sys).
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 24, 2008
  13. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    thingy Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?
    >
    > Lindsay Rollo
    > Wellington, New Zealand

    Redhat advanced server has sysreport which collects a lot of info and
    flags issues....lots of distros have tools....or roll your own.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Feb 26, 2008
  14. In article <>,
    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz did write:

    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    Did anybody mention lmsensors? Reports motherboard-specific temperature and
    other info.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 26, 2008
  15. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    impossible Guest

    Re: How many Linux programmers does it take to....?

    <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
    > System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    > hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    > selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >
    > Is there a comparable Linux program ?

    Judging by the contributions to this thread, the straight answer to your
    questiuon is "no". But there are apparently at least a dozen separate
    commands you can type in various Linux programs that, taken together, will
    eventually provide equivalent information.

    <shakes head>

    I'm going to save this thread as a classic example of why software
    development by committee is such a bad idea.
    impossible, Mar 4, 2008
  16. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 24, 2:31 am, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:12:16 +1300, shane propped his eyelids open with
    >

    > toothpicks and wrote:
    > > shane did scribble:

    > >> lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz did scribble:

    > >> Software
    > >> Depending on your distro and package management system software handled
    > >> by that package manager can be interrogated for version and all
    > >> installed eg. dpkg -l or rpm -qa
    > >> (If you have installed software by means other than the package
    > >> manager, then the package manager can not help you
    > >> Hardware
    > >> dmesg
    > >> or
    > >> cat /proc/cpuinfo
    > >> cat /proc/meminfo
    > >> (depends on distro)
    > >> There may be others.

    > > Oh I forget
    > > free (memory)
    > > and
    > > df -h (disk)
    > > and
    > > mount (devices mounted)
    > > lspci (list pci devices)
    > > lsusb (no prizes)

    > sudo lshw

    Hmm, not on the somewhat cut down Eee PC I'm afraid.
    JohnO, Mar 4, 2008
  17. In article
    <>, JohnO
    did write:

    > On Feb 24, 2:31 am, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    >
    >> sudo lshw
    >>

    > Hmm, not on the somewhat cut down Eee PC I'm afraid.

    root@pearl:user# apt-cache search lshw
    lshw - information about hardware configuration
    lshw-common - information about hardware configuration
    lshw-gtk - information about hardware configuration

    So while it's not preinstalled, it's certainly available from the Xandros
    repositories.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2008
  18. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Rob Simpson Guest

    Re: How many Linux programmers does it take to....?

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:27:46 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
    >> System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    >> hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    >> selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >>
    >> Is there a comparable Linux program ?
    >>

    > Judging by the contributions to this thread, the straight answer to your
    > questiuon is "no". But there are apparently at least a dozen separate
    > commands you can type in various Linux programs that, taken together,
    > will eventually provide equivalent information.
    >
    > <shakes head>
    >
    > I'm going to save this thread as a classic example of why software
    > development by committee is such a bad idea.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsysinfo/
    Sysinfo displays computer and system information.

    1. System: Linux distribution release, GNOME version, Kernel version, Gcc
    version, Xorg version, hostname. 2. CPU: Vendor identification, model
    name, frequency, level2 cache, bogomips, model numbers, flags. 3. Memory:
    Total system memory RAM, free memory, swap space total & free, cached,
    active, inactive memory. 4. Storage: IDE interface, all IDE devices(disks,
    cd/dvd roms), SCSI devices. 5. Hardware: motherboard, graphic card, sound
    card, network devices. 6. NVIDIA graphic card: only with NVIDIA display
    driver installed.

    Not as complete as Belarc Advisor for Windows, but a start. I'm sure there
    are more apps out there that attempt to do the same job. It wouldn't be
    too hard to nobble together a perl script using all the various cli
    utilities like lshw, lspci, uname, dpkg -l etc. to generate a report on
    hardware and software installed. Surely commercial distros like RHEL and
    SLED should have asset management packages installed or available?

    --
    Rob
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer,
    Rob Simpson, Mar 5, 2008
  19. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    shane Guest

    Re: How many Linux programmers does it take to....?

    Rob Simpson did scribble:

    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:27:46 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    > with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message
    >>> System Information Windows interrogates a PC and reports both the
    >>> hardware and software installed. It can be configured to report
    >>> selectively: all hardware, no software; or elements of each.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a comparable Linux program ?
    >>>

    >> Judging by the contributions to this thread, the straight answer to your
    >> questiuon is "no". But there are apparently at least a dozen separate
    >> commands you can type in various Linux programs that, taken together,
    >> will eventually provide equivalent information.
    >>
    >> <shakes head>
    >>
    >> I'm going to save this thread as a classic example of why software
    >> development by committee is such a bad idea.

    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsysinfo/
    > Sysinfo displays computer and system information.
    >
    > 1. System: Linux distribution release, GNOME version, Kernel version, Gcc
    > version, Xorg version, hostname. 2. CPU: Vendor identification, model
    > name, frequency, level2 cache, bogomips, model numbers, flags. 3. Memory:
    > Total system memory RAM, free memory, swap space total & free, cached,
    > active, inactive memory. 4. Storage: IDE interface, all IDE devices(disks,
    > cd/dvd roms), SCSI devices. 5. Hardware: motherboard, graphic card, sound
    > card, network devices. 6. NVIDIA graphic card: only with NVIDIA display
    > driver installed.
    >
    > Not as complete as Belarc Advisor for Windows, but a start. I'm sure there
    > are more apps out there that attempt to do the same job. It wouldn't be
    > too hard to nobble together a perl script using all the various cli
    > utilities like lshw, lspci, uname, dpkg -l etc. to generate a report on
    > hardware and software installed. Surely commercial distros like RHEL and
    > SLED should have asset management packages installed or available?

    Just ignore him. He's only here to cause trouble.
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick
    shane, Mar 5, 2008
  20. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    "shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Rob Simpson did scribble:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:27:46 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    >> with toothpicks and wrote:
    >>
    >>> <lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz> wrote in message

    >>> Judging by the contributions to this thread, the straight answer to your
    >>> questiuon is "no". But there are apparently at least a dozen separate
    >>> commands you can type in various Linux programs that, taken together,
    >>> will eventually provide equivalent information.
    >>>
    >>> <shakes head>
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to save this thread as a classic example of why software
    >>> development by committee is such a bad idea.

    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsysinfo/
    >> Sysinfo displays computer and system information.
    >>
    >> 1. System: Linux distribution release, GNOME version, Kernel version, Gcc
    >> version, Xorg version, hostname. 2. CPU: Vendor identification, model
    >> name, frequency, level2 cache, bogomips, model numbers, flags. 3. Memory:
    >> Total system memory RAM, free memory, swap space total & free, cached,
    >> active, inactive memory. 4. Storage: IDE interface, all IDE
    >> devices(disks,
    >> cd/dvd roms), SCSI devices. 5. Hardware: motherboard, graphic card, sound
    >> card, network devices. 6. NVIDIA graphic card: only with NVIDIA display
    >> driver installed.
    >>
    >> Not as complete as Belarc Advisor for Windows, but a start. I'm sure
    >> there
    >> are more apps out there that attempt to do the same job. It wouldn't be
    >> too hard to nobble together a perl script using all the various cli
    >> utilities like lshw, lspci, uname, dpkg -l etc. to generate a report on
    >> hardware and software installed. Surely commercial distros like RHEL and
    >> SLED should have asset management packages installed or available?
    >>

    > Just ignore him. He's only here to cause trouble.
    > --

    You have always taken that attitude that any criticism of of Linux
    constritutes "trouble. Shame on you.
    impossible, Mar 5, 2008