Linux embeded

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by collector«NZ, Oct 10, 2007.

  1. collector«NZ, Oct 10, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2007

  3. Re: Linux embedded

    In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:

    > Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    > they say

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently capable of
    a 15-second boot time
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2007
  4. collector«NZ, Oct 10, 2007
  5. Re: Linux embedded

    In message <470c8787$>, collector«NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >>> they say

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >> I asssume this is Splashtop
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

    > Sure is and it is neat

    I wonder how much they copied from LinuxBIOS...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2007
  6. Re: Linux embedded

    In message <470c8787$>, collector«NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >>> they say

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >> I asssume this is Splashtop
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

    > Sure is and it is neat

    Another item from Phoronix
    <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=870&num=1>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2007
  7. Re: Linux embedded

    In message <470c8787$>, collector«NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >>> they say

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >> I asssume this is Splashtop
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

    > Sure is and it is neat

    Longer Phoronix item
    <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2007
  8. collector«NZ

    Mutlley Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <470c8787$>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1
    >>>
    >>> I asssume this is Splashtop
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/devicevm_splashtop/>.

    >> Sure is and it is neat

    >Another item from Phoronix
    ><http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=870&num=1>.

    Wonder how long before M$ or Apple tries to sue them out of
    existence??

    Mutlley, Oct 10, 2007
  9. collector«NZ

    thingy Guest

    collector«NZ wrote:
    > Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    > they say
    >
    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    I wonder what this means for thin clients......also potentially fault
    finding...if you are stuck with a non-booting OS and no second PC to go
    google you are so stuffed....

    ASUS Express Gate
    Surf the Internet in 5-second-boot time without entering Windows
    With a fast bootup speed of only 5 seconds, the ASUS Express Gate offers
    an optional Linux OS bootup that allows you to enjoy instant access to
    commonly used functions like accessing the Internet, VoIP, and Web
    emailing without entering the OS.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 10, 2007
  10. collector«NZ

    thingy Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >> they say
    >>

    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1
    >
    > Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently capable of
    > a 15-second boot time
    > <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

    Whats with the interest on boot times? I do not see it as a issue.

    Consider, most of a PCs life is spent on or off....in-between, my
    existing XP box's (OS) boots in 20~30 seconds....

    A more interesting part of your posts is the ability not to need a full
    OS. Part of MS's "joy" over thick clients is users need the breadth and
    depth of a real OS locally....These features show that 3rd parties are
    considering and selling product proving this is not the case....More MS
    FUD bites the dust.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 10, 2007
  11. collector«NZ

    sam Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    thingy wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >>> they say
    >>>

    >> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1
    >>

    >> Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently
    >> capable of
    >> a 15-second boot time
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

    > Whats with the interest on boot times? I do not see it as a issue.
    >
    > Consider, most of a PCs life is spent on or off....in-between, my
    > existing XP box's (OS) boots in 20~30 seconds....

    And when its off its off
    And when its on its on
    And when its only booting its neither off nor on.

    15 seconds is still too lond for a portable appliance
    Wait till Asus does this embedded linux bit with a lappy or tablet.
    Now that will be cool.

    sam, Oct 10, 2007
  12. collector«NZ

    Allistar Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    thingy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, collector«NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >>> they say

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >> Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently capable
    >> of a 15-second boot time
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

    > Whats with the interest on boot times? I do not see it as a issue.
    >
    > Consider, most of a PCs life is spent on or off....in-between, my
    > existing XP box's (OS) boots in 20~30 seconds....
    >
    > A more interesting part of your posts is the ability not to need a full
    > OS. Part of MS's "joy" over thick clients is users need the breadth and
    > depth of a real OS locally....These features show that 3rd parties are
    > considering and selling product proving this is not the case....More MS
    > FUD bites the dust.

    It intrigues me that booting XP as virtual machine in VMWare Workstation
    takes something like 5 seconds. I've always wondered whether this is
    because the virtual hardware is so well defined and simple that the
    hardware detection routines fly through. I would have thought "native" boot
    would be much faster than "virtual" boot.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Oct 10, 2007
  13. collector«NZ

    Allistar Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    sam wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >>> Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently
    >>> capable of
    >>> a 15-second boot time
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

    >> Whats with the interest on boot times? I do not see it as a issue.
    >>
    >> Consider, most of a PCs life is spent on or off....in-between, my
    >> existing XP box's (OS) boots in 20~30 seconds....
    >>

    > And when its off its off
    > And when its on its on
    > And when its only booting its neither off nor on.
    >
    > 15 seconds is still too lond for a portable appliance
    > Wait till Asus does this embedded linux bit with a lappy or tablet.
    > Now that will be cool.

    You'd think they could do something like hibernate - once the device is
    started for the first time (the slow way) it creates an image in permanent
    memory (flash card?). When booting the next time it simply loads that image
    into memory (and resets all file system pointers etc). If the hardware or
    configuration changes, the image is deleted and recreated on next boot (the
    long way).
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Oct 10, 2007
  14. collector«NZ

    thingy Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    Allistar wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1
    >>> Another Asus machine, not embedded as such, but still apparently capable
    >>> of a 15-second boot time
    >>> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/09/rm_asus_launches_minibook/>.

    >> Whats with the interest on boot times? I do not see it as a issue.
    >>
    >> Consider, most of a PCs life is spent on or off....in-between, my
    >> existing XP box's (OS) boots in 20~30 seconds....
    >>
    >> A more interesting part of your posts is the ability not to need a full
    >> OS. Part of MS's "joy" over thick clients is users need the breadth and
    >> depth of a real OS locally....These features show that 3rd parties are
    >> considering and selling product proving this is not the case....More MS
    >> FUD bites the dust.

    > It intrigues me that booting XP as virtual machine in VMWare Workstation
    > takes something like 5 seconds. I've always wondered whether this is
    > because the virtual hardware is so well defined and simple that the
    > hardware detection routines fly through. I would have thought "native" boot
    > would be much faster than "virtual" boot.

    I/we certainly notice that guests on ESX3 get through the POST far far
    quicker. Then there is no scsi channel to pole and to think about or any
    other complex hardware, so guests boot in a number of seconds....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Oct 10, 2007
  15. Re: Linux embedded

    In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >>> Sure is and it is neat

    >>Another item from Phoronix
    >><http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=870&num=1>.

    > Wonder how long before M$ or Apple tries to sue them out of
    > existence??

    What claims would Microsoft or Apple have?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2007
  16. collector«NZ

    Mutlley Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1

    >>>Another item from Phoronix
    >>><http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=870&num=1>.

    >> Wonder how long before M$ or Apple tries to sue them out of
    >> existence??

    >What claims would Microsoft or Apple have?

    I'm sure Steve Belmare could find a reason.

    Mutlley, Oct 11, 2007
  17. collector«NZ

    Rob S Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > collector«NZ wrote:
    >> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >> they say
    >>
    >> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1
    >>

    > I wonder what this means for thin clients......also potentially fault
    > finding...if you are stuck with a non-booting OS and no second PC to go
    > google you are so stuffed....
    >
    > ASUS Express Gate
    > Surf the Internet in 5-second-boot time without entering Windows
    > With a fast bootup speed of only 5 seconds, the ASUS Express Gate offers
    > an optional Linux OS bootup that allows you to enjoy instant access to
    > commonly used functions like accessing the Internet, VoIP, and Web
    > emailing without entering the OS.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    If it could be configured to read/write to a usb flash drive, no need
    for a full os or even a hard disk. Just use all the apps on the web.
    Basically the web becomes your os.

    The ultimate thin client, splash-top enabled motherboard with graphics &
    sound onboard, Ram, usb flash drive and nothing else. Wouldn't be
    difficult to add cd burning capabilities as well.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating
    System Hangs.

    Rob S, Oct 11, 2007
  18. collector«NZ

    thingy Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> collector«NZ wrote:
    >>> Looks like I might have to change my mother board, boots in 5 seconds
    >>> they say
    >>>
    >>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1872&modelmenu=1
    >>>

    >> I wonder what this means for thin clients......also potentially fault
    >> finding...if you are stuck with a non-booting OS and no second PC to
    >> go google you are so stuffed....
    >>
    >> ASUS Express Gate
    >> Surf the Internet in 5-second-boot time without entering Windows
    >> With a fast bootup speed of only 5 seconds, the ASUS Express Gate
    >> offers an optional Linux OS bootup that allows you to enjoy instant
    >> access to commonly used functions like accessing the Internet, VoIP,
    >> and Web emailing without entering the OS.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > If it could be configured to read/write to a usb flash drive, no need
    > for a full os or even a hard disk. Just use all the apps on the web.
    > Basically the web becomes your os.
    >
    > The ultimate thin client, splash-top enabled motherboard with graphics &
    > sound onboard, Ram, usb flash drive and nothing else. Wouldn't be
    > difficult to add cd burning capabilities as well.

    Nope....Sun do that now pretty much....if there is a citrix option or
    other option for some "heavier" apps...away you go....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Oct 11, 2007
  19. Re: Linux embedded

    In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Wonder how long before M$ or Apple tries to sue them out of
    >>> existence??

    >>What claims would Microsoft or Apple have?

    > I'm sure Steve [Ballmer] could find a reason.

    And Apple?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2007
  20. collector«NZ

    Mutlley Guest

    Re: Linux embedded

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>What claims would Microsoft or Apple have?

    >> I'm sure Steve [Ballmer] could find a reason.

    >And Apple?

    the object dock thingy?

    Mutlley, Oct 11, 2007