    I like the way the first config worked - but i want to have the taskbar
    spread over the two monitors also...

    Is this possible?

    Andrew, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I have a dual monitor setup here at the moment and i have two XF86Config
    > files
    >
    > the config file im using at the moment when i fullscreen a window it
    > maximises it only on the one monitor - BUT my taskbar extends across
    > only one monitor
    >
    > The other config file i have fullscreens a window accross both monitors,
    > and the taskbar is extended accross both.
    >
    > I like the way the first config worked - but i want to have the taskbar
    > spread over the two monitors also...
    >

    > Is this possible?

    Go into the control centre and under Desktop->Panels you should be able to
    specify the screen(s) the panel occupies. This assumes you are using
    Xinerama.

    Personally I have a seperate task bar on the right hand monitor with the
    standard panel (with pager and clock) on the left hand side.

    Regards,
    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>I have a dual monitor setup here at the moment and i have two XF86Config
    >> files
    >>
    >>the config file im using at the moment when i fullscreen a window it
    >>maximises it only on the one monitor - BUT my taskbar extends across
    >>only one monitor
    >>
    >>The other config file i have fullscreens a window accross both monitors,
    >>and the taskbar is extended accross both.
    >>
    >>I like the way the first config worked - but i want to have the taskbar
    >>spread over the two monitors also...
    >>

    >>Is this possible?

    > Go into the control centre and under Desktop->Panels you should be able to
    > specify the screen(s) the panel occupies. This assumes you are using
    > Xinerama.
    >
    > Personally I have a seperate task bar on the right hand monitor with the
    > standard panel (with pager and clock) on the left hand side.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Allistar.

    Unforntatly doing this i can set it to only one or the other, If i put
    put a child bar on the right hand monitor (task bar is on left) it
    positions its self where it would be on the left monitor - above the
    task bar making dead space on the right hand monitor

    Andrew, Sep 4, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a dual monitor setup here at the moment and i have two XF86Config
    >>> files
    >>>
    >>>the config file im using at the moment when i fullscreen a window it
    >>>maximises it only on the one monitor - BUT my taskbar extends across
    >>>only one monitor
    >>>
    >>>The other config file i have fullscreens a window accross both monitors,
    >>>and the taskbar is extended accross both.
    >>>
    >>>I like the way the first config worked - but i want to have the taskbar
    >>>spread over the two monitors also...
    >>>

    >>>Is this possible?

    >> Go into the control centre and under Desktop->Panels you should be able
    >> to specify the screen(s) the panel occupies. This assumes you are using
    >> Xinerama.
    >>
    >> Personally I have a seperate task bar on the right hand monitor with the
    >> standard panel (with pager and clock) on the left hand side.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Allistar.

    > Unforntatly doing this i can set it to only one or the other, If i put
    > put a child bar on the right hand monitor (task bar is on left) it
    > positions its self where it would be on the left monitor - above the
    > task bar making dead space on the right hand monitor

    It used to do that for me under KDE <=3.1 (and it was annoying). I now use
    KDE 3.4.1 and this no longer happens. The trick is to use Xinerama.

    Are you using the latest incarnation of KDE?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 4, 2005
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>Allistar wrote:

    >>>Go into the control centre and under Desktop->Panels you should be able
    >>>to specify the screen(s) the panel occupies. This assumes you are using
    >>>Xinerama.
    >>>
    >>>Personally I have a seperate task bar on the right hand monitor with the
    >>>standard panel (with pager and clock) on the left hand side.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Allistar.

    >>Unforntatly doing this i can set it to only one or the other, If i put
    >>put a child bar on the right hand monitor (task bar is on left) it
    >>positions its self where it would be on the left monitor - above the
    >>task bar making dead space on the right hand monitor

    > It used to do that for me under KDE <=3.1 (and it was annoying). I now use
    > KDE 3.4.1 and this no longer happens. The trick is to use Xinerama.
    >
    > Are you using the latest incarnation of KDE?
    >
    > Allistar.

    I am using Xinerama - it also appears that im using KDE 3.1-10 which
    looks like is the problem

    Andrew, Sep 4, 2005
  6. Andrew

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:

    >>>Unforntatly doing this i can set it to only one or the other, If i put
    >>>put a child bar on the right hand monitor (task bar is on left) it
    >>>positions its self where it would be on the left monitor - above the
    >>>task bar making dead space on the right hand monitor

    >> It used to do that for me under KDE <=3.1 (and it was annoying). I now
    >> use KDE 3.4.1 and this no longer happens. The trick is to use Xinerama.
    >>
    >> Are you using the latest incarnation of KDE?
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I am using Xinerama - it also appears that im using KDE 3.1-10 which
    > looks like is the problem

    What distribution are you using? KDE 3.1 is quite old. I use Gentoo (at home
    and work, both dual head) and the new Xinerama features introduced in KDA
    enhance it quite a bit. From memory the problem you mention was fixed in
    either 3.2 or 3.3.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>Allistar wrote:

    >>>It used to do that for me under KDE <=3.1 (and it was annoying). I now
    >>>use KDE 3.4.1 and this no longer happens. The trick is to use Xinerama.
    >>>
    >>>Are you using the latest incarnation of KDE?
    >>>
    >>>Allistar.

    >>I am using Xinerama - it also appears that im using KDE 3.1-10 which
    >>looks like is the problem

    > What distribution are you using? KDE 3.1 is quite old. I use Gentoo (at home
    > and work, both dual head) and the new Xinerama features introduced in KDA
    > enhance it quite a bit. From memory the problem you mention was fixed in
    > either 3.2 or 3.3.
    >
    > Allistar.

    How do i find that out - unless i already do:

    Redhat 9
    Release 2.4.26.31.wetabigmem
    Ksw 3.1-10

    Andrew, Sep 4, 2005
  8. Andrew

    Allistar Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Andrew wrote:

    >>>I am using Xinerama - it also appears that im using KDE 3.1-10 which
    >>>looks like is the problem

    >> What distribution are you using? KDE 3.1 is quite old. I use Gentoo (at
    >> home and work, both dual head) and the new Xinerama features introduced
    >> in KDA enhance it quite a bit. From memory the problem you mention was
    >> fixed in either 3.2 or 3.3.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > How do i find that out - unless i already do:
    >
    > Redhat 9
    > Release 2.4.26.31.wetabigmem
    > Ksw 3.1-10

    I'm not sure how Redhat gets updated (rpms?) and whether your company policy
    allows you to update KDE without thorough testing, but updating it seems to
    be the only soltuion to this issue. Is there a test box you can try the
    update on?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 4, 2005
  9. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>Allistar wrote:

    >>>What distribution are you using? KDE 3.1 is quite old. I use Gentoo (at
    >>>home and work, both dual head) and the new Xinerama features introduced
    >>>in KDA enhance it quite a bit. From memory the problem you mention was
    >>>fixed in either 3.2 or 3.3.
    >>>
    >>>Allistar.

    >>How do i find that out - unless i already do:
    >>
    >>Redhat 9
    >>Release 2.4.26.31.wetabigmem
    >>Ksw 3.1-10

    > I'm not sure how Redhat gets updated (rpms?) and whether your company policy
    > allows you to update KDE without thorough testing, but updating it seems to
    > be the only soltuion to this issue. Is there a test box you can try the
    > update on?
    >
    > Allistar.

    Cheers man

    I will ask support if i can borrow another machine, There is three
    unused boxes sitting at our door :)

    Andrew, Sep 5, 2005