    I am searching for older distro information but that info is all scrambled
    up with
    newer versions of the same distro...
    John Jay Smith, Feb 16, 2006

  2. John Jay Smith

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-16, John Jay Smith <-> wrote:
    > is there a site that has all the major distro system requirments organized?
    >
    > I am searching for older distro information but that info is all scrambled
    > up with
    > newer versions of the same distro...

    Why do you need information about distros that are out of date and
    therefore no longer 'supported' or easily kept up-to-date with security
    patches etc?

    The current distros will often work perfectly well on older x586 machines -
    that is one of the strengths of Linux compared with some other OSs - and
    there are a few current distros specifically designed for 'obsolete'
    hardware - right back to x386 and equivalent processors. If a PC was
    built for Windows 95, 98, or XP, then I think any of the current distros
    will be able to run. If the latest versions of the KDE or Gnome
    'graphical desktop' are too slow on a particular machine, there are
    several 'light-weight' alternatives that will be easily grasped by anyone
    familiar with Mac or Windows. (You can use any 'window manager' and/or
    'desktop environment' you want, with almost all Linux distros; or just use
    a text-based console if you prefer).

    Try this site <http://distrowatch.com/>.

    I'm a fan of Mandriva, but SuSE or Fedora or Debian are almost as good
    ;))

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 16, 2006