    Any suggestions?

    TIA,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Mar 20, 2006

  2. JohnO

    thingy Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    > acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    > able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    > frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    > ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    > to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    > angles etc is the idea.
    >
    > Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    > want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    Given the last line, I'd suggest Windows XP.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 20, 2006

  3. JohnO

    Allistar Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    > acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    > able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    > frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    > ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    > to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    > angles etc is the idea.
    >
    > Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    > want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I've done capturing of a DV stream from our digital camera using a IEEE1394
    connection on both Mandrake (now Mandriva) and Gentoo Linux. I would
    suggest that any distribution would be able to do this.

    I've done editing in Kino and MainActor, although this is only cutting,
    adding transitions and titles, then burning back to DVD.

    I don't know of any distribution that comes with those apps pre-installed.
    Installing from source is not difficult.

    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 21, 2006
  4. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    > > acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    > > able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    > > frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    > > ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    > > to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    > > angles etc is the idea.
    > >
    > > Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    > > want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    > I've done capturing of a DV stream from our digital camera using a IEEE1394
    > connection on both Mandrake (now Mandriva) and Gentoo Linux. I would
    > suggest that any distribution would be able to do this.
    >
    > I've done editing in Kino and MainActor, although this is only cutting,
    > adding transitions and titles, then burning back to DVD.
    >
    > I don't know of any distribution that comes with those apps pre-installed.
    > Installing from source is not difficult.
    >
    > > TIA,
    > > JohnO

    > Allistar.

    Kino looks ideal - cheers!
    JohnO, Mar 21, 2006
  5. JohnO

    Allistar Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    >> > acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    >> > able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    >> > frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    >> > ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    >> > to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    >> > angles etc is the idea.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    >> > want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?

    >> I've done capturing of a DV stream from our digital camera using a
    >> IEEE1394 connection on both Mandrake (now Mandriva) and Gentoo Linux. I
    >> would suggest that any distribution would be able to do this.
    >>
    >> I've done editing in Kino and MainActor, although this is only cutting,
    >> adding transitions and titles, then burning back to DVD.
    >>
    >> I don't know of any distribution that comes with those apps
    >> pre-installed. Installing from source is not difficult.
    >>
    >> > TIA,
    >> > JohnO

    >> Allistar.

    > Kino looks ideal - cheers!

    Last time I used Kino I didn't use it for titling, only capturing and
    trimming. I prefer MainActor (there is a free Linux version available) for
    titling/transitions - mush MUCH more control for this sort of thing.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 21, 2006
  6. Hi there,

    JohnO wrote:
    > Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    > acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    > able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    > frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    > ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    > to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    > angles etc is the idea.
    >
    > Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    > want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Kino 0.8 is a non-linear DV editor, that works well. It can change
    the playback speed to an infinitely variable rate, so you can easily
    slow down the video to analyse sports...

    http://kinodv.org/article/static/1

    Thats the download page, and as you can see there are pre-compiled
    packages of Kino for Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, Arch, and Gentoo Linux.
    I use it on SuSE 10.0, and although SuSE is not mentioned on the Kino
    download page there is a pre-compiled version available at...

    http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=367

    Hope that helps, :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Hi there,

    Allistar wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >>Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>>JohnO wrote:
    >>>

    >>Kino looks ideal - cheers!

    > Last time I used Kino I didn't use it for titling, only capturing and
    > trimming. I prefer MainActor (there is a free Linux version available) for
    > titling/transitions - mush MUCH more control for this sort of thing.

    I think Kino is not as polished, but its learning curve is
    not as steep. You can do excellent titles using transparent
    png graphics overlaid onto your DV footage, and they can be
    faded in and out nicely. Create them in Gimp, then in Kino
    use 'Superimpose' in the 'Video Filter' tab under 'FX'. It
    works very nicely...

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 21, 2006
  8. JohnO

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:14:08 -0800, JohnO wrote:

    > Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    > acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    > able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    > frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    > ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    > to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    > angles etc is the idea.
    >
    > Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    > want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but *don't get a Toshiba Laptop*!!!!
    My old Acer aspire runs fine, but the Tosh is locked in to Microsoft, and
    there's no way to get it working - believe me I've tried ):

    Forewarned and all that...

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 21, 2006
  9. JohnO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:59:36 +1200, Steve <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:14:08 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    >> acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    >> able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    >> frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    >> ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    >> to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    >> angles etc is the idea.
    >>
    >> Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    >> want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> JohnO

    >Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but *don't get a Toshiba Laptop*!!!!
    >My old Acer aspire runs fine, but the Tosh is locked in to Microsoft, and
    >there's no way to get it working - believe me I've tried ):

    The Ubuntu live CD works fine on my one. I didn't try the install though, don't
    want to wipe what's on the computer.
    Craig Shore, Mar 21, 2006
  10. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:59:36 +1200, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:14:08 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    > >> acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    > >> able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    > >> frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    > >> ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    > >> to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    > >> angles etc is the idea.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    > >> want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> TIA,
    > >> JohnO

    > >Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but *don't get a Toshiba Laptop*!!!!
    > >My old Acer aspire runs fine, but the Tosh is locked in to Microsoft, and
    > >there's no way to get it working - believe me I've tried ):

    > The Ubuntu live CD works fine on my one. I didn't try the install though, don't
    > want to wipe what's on the computer.

    So those "LiveCD" editions offer both the option of running from the CD
    as well as doing a full install to disk?
    JohnO, Mar 21, 2006
  11. JohnO wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but *don't get a Toshiba Laptop*!!!!
    >>> My old Acer aspire runs fine, but the Tosh is locked in to Microsoft, and
    >>> there's no way to get it working - believe me I've tried ):

    >> The Ubuntu live CD works fine on my one. I didn't try the install though, don't
    >> want to wipe what's on the computer.

    > So those "LiveCD" editions offer both the option of running from the CD
    > as well as doing a full install to disk?

    Place an order at https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and receive both live and
    installation CDs by mail. Free.

    dyne:bolic may be one of the more interesting distros for video work. It
    supports clustering by default to knock the guts out of those big rendering
    jobs. I haven't done anything significant with it so I can't say anything
    definitive about it's capabilities, mon. http://www.dynebolic.org/

    Have a look at http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php for the definitive
    index of special purpose live linux CDs.
    Mark Robinson, Mar 22, 2006
  12. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Craig Shore wrote:

    > >> The Ubuntu live CD works fine on my one. I didn't try the install though, don't
    > >> want to wipe what's on the computer.

    > > So those "LiveCD" editions offer both the option of running from the CD
    > > as well as doing a full install to disk?

    > Place an order at https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and receive both live and
    > installation CDs by mail. Free.
    >
    > dyne:bolic may be one of the more interesting distros for video work. It
    > supports clustering by default to knock the guts out of those big rendering
    > jobs. I haven't done anything significant with it so I can't say anything
    > definitive about it's capabilities, mon. http://www.dynebolic.org/
    >
    > Have a look at http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php for the definitive
    > index of special purpose live linux CDs.

    Wow - thanks for that.
    JohnO, Mar 22, 2006
  13. JohnO

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:46:11 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:59:36 +1200, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:14:08 -0800, JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for the above. I need to
    >>> acquire video from a DV camcorder via ieee1394 on a laptop, then be
    >>> able to review the video. In particular I need to be able to freeze
    >>> frame, still-advance and 'jog' the video back and forth easily. The
    >>> ability to annotate 'tellistrator' style would also be cool. The aim is
    >>> to use the video for sports technique analysis so the ability to check
    >>> angles etc is the idea.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any particlular distro and application that's recommended? I
    >>> want to avoid having to download, build and configure stuff if I can.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> JohnO

    >>Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but *don't get a Toshiba Laptop*!!!!
    >>My old Acer aspire runs fine, but the Tosh is locked in to Microsoft, and
    >>there's no way to get it working - believe me I've tried ):

    > The Ubuntu live CD works fine on my one. I didn't try the install though, don't
    > want to wipe what's on the computer.

    Sorry, I'm talking specifically about the firewire port ( and the SD
    reader, but that's irrelevant to this thread ). I run debian testing on my
    Satellite, and these are the only things that don't work, being tied in to
    Microsoft.

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 22, 2006
  14. JohnO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 21 Mar 2006 15:40:11 -0800, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:

    >> >Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but *don't get a Toshiba Laptop*!!!!
    >> >My old Acer aspire runs fine, but the Tosh is locked in to Microsoft, and
    >> >there's no way to get it working - believe me I've tried ):

    >> The Ubuntu live CD works fine on my one. I didn't try the install though, don't
    >> want to wipe what's on the computer.

    >So those "LiveCD" editions offer both the option of running from the CD
    >as well as doing a full install to disk?

    Nope, there are two CD's, one is an install CD, the other a live CD.
    Craig Shore, Mar 22, 2006