    With gratitude..
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
    > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron
    > CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1
    > torrents.
    >
    > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not familiar
    > with Linux at all.
    >
    > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
    > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
    >
    > With gratitude..

    Hi Shaun
    Have a look here,
    http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
    http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp
    Malcolm, Mar 19, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
    > > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron
    > > CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1
    > > torrents.
    > >
    > > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not
    > > familiar with Linux at all.
    > >
    > > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
    > > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
    > >
    > > With gratitude..

    > Hi Shaun
    > Have a look here,
    > http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
    > http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11602
    > http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    Thanks Malcolm. From the looks of those URLs it would seem that it'll have
    to be a Linux box then?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
    > > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron
    > > CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1
    > > torrents.
    > >
    > > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not
    > > familiar with Linux at all.
    > >
    > > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
    > > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
    > >
    > > With gratitude..

    > Hi Shaun
    > Have a look here,
    > http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/
    > http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11602
    > http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    Couple things Malcolm;

    That first URL won't take me anywhere.

    I have a DL-DVD that some kind soul gave me with SuSE _10_. Can I use that
    and update it to 10.2 to minimise downloads? Or would that require *vastly*
    more knowledge of Linux than I already have (nil). Does it need to be 10.2?

    (Interestingly, when I put "SuSE" into DSE's search window, wondering if
    they have 10.2, it comes up with one printer that mentions SuSE
    compatability, two UPS's that similarly mention SuSE compatability and
    Microsoft Vista Home Basic and Microsoft Vista Home Basic Upgrade (????),
    niether of which mention SuSE. Do I smell a conspiracy?)

    Also, I think I might be better off using an Applebred Duron 1.6GHz machine
    that I have here instead of the Tualtin. The Tui board (Gigabyte, you know
    the one Malcolm) doesn't have an AGP slot or TV out and I don't want to have
    to have a monitor next to the TV. (Can the desktop be outputted through the
    TV card? It has S-Video and Composite out. I'm guessing not, or at least
    not easily). Be a shame to have to use the Applebred though, I've only just
    set it up as a Windows machine. (The ti4200 that's in the Applebred has DVI
    out and my little TV has DVI in (800 x 600 res) although that means
    bypassing my reciever that switches all my other inputs and also means I'd
    have to use the TV set's own speakers, although that's no biggie as I'd only
    use this for F1)

    Finally, I didn't se anything in those links about decoding TV signals. I
    take it that the first link was the one?

    TYVM.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    Miguel Guest

    Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
    torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux at
    all.

    <snip diwana>
    2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
    Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne, Australia.
    1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
    775 MB
    </snip>

    But if this is about being linux-curious then I would be surprised if
    a Linux distro didn't get you up and running.

    But I'd be even more surprised if getting to "up and running" wasn't a
    major exercise involving swearing, cursing and copious amounts of
    abuse hurled at the operating system.

    Linux isn't easy to get to grips with, especially coming from a
    Windows environment.
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm (only read this if you've a
    spare half-hour)
    But, strangely enough, after getting over the initial disorientation
    you realize it does "just work"TM.

    Anyway, if you want, you can quite easily put your mobo, Pinnacle
    card, ram, cd/dvd player etc into a spare box and then throw in a
    Linux installation CD (downloaded and burnt earlier by your current
    XP(?) machine) and just play around.

    Personally, for the specs you mentioned I'd go with the Xubuntu
    Alternate installation (mainly cos I'm more familiar with the ubuntu
    family and they do "just work"TM. I'm not saying Xubuntu is the best/
    fastest etc)
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/6.10/release/xubuntu-6.10-alternate-i386.iso

    File size is 680MB. The only non-intuitive part of the "alternate
    xubuntu install" is the partitioner. You're hit with "dev/hda1 ext3 y/
    n dev/hda5 swap y/n"....and you're left wondering what??? (Just go
    with the defaults)

    If you do try out Xubuntu then the beginners forum at ubuntuforums is
    your best friend
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

    Let me know if you want a diwana invite

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Mar 19, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
    > torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux at
    > all.
    >
    > <snip diwana>
    > 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
    > Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne, Australia.
    > 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
    > 775 MB
    > </snip>

    Or he could download tvuplayer and watch it live on Star Sports.
    Craig Sutton, Mar 19, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    Blue Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a gigabyte
    > 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron CPU, a
    > reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to find F1 torrents.
    >
    > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not familiar
    > with Linux at all.
    >
    > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
    > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
    >
    > With gratitude..

    If you do the Linux route you may wish to get a distro tuned for
    mutimedia.

    http://www.dynebolic.org/ is one. Live CD so download and try.
    Blue, Mar 19, 2007
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
    > > torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux
    > > at all.
    > >
    > > <snip diwana>
    > > 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
    > > Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne,
    > > Australia. 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
    > > 775 MB
    > > </snip>
    > >

    > Or he could download tvuplayer and watch it live on Star Sports.

    Seriously? Would a NZ ADSL connection be adequate for this? Considering I
    can't even stream youtube stuff at certain times of the day?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
    > torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux at
    > all.
    >
    > <snip diwana>
    > 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
    > Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne, Australia.
    > 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
    > 775 MB
    > </snip>
    >
    > But if this is about being linux-curious then I would be surprised if
    > a Linux distro didn't get you up and running.
    >
    > But I'd be even more surprised if getting to "up and running" wasn't a
    > major exercise involving swearing, cursing and copious amounts of
    > abuse hurled at the operating system.
    >
    > Linux isn't easy to get to grips with, especially coming from a
    > Windows environment.
    > http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm (only read this if you've a
    > spare half-hour)
    > But, strangely enough, after getting over the initial disorientation
    > you realize it does "just work"TM.
    >
    > Anyway, if you want, you can quite easily put your mobo, Pinnacle
    > card, ram, cd/dvd player etc into a spare box and then throw in a
    > Linux installation CD (downloaded and burnt earlier by your current
    > XP(?) machine) and just play around.
    >
    > Personally, for the specs you mentioned I'd go with the Xubuntu
    > Alternate installation (mainly cos I'm more familiar with the ubuntu
    > family and they do "just work"TM. I'm not saying Xubuntu is the best/
    > fastest etc)
    > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/6.10/release/xubuntu-6.10-alternate-i386.iso
    >
    > File size is 680MB. The only non-intuitive part of the "alternate
    > xubuntu install" is the partitioner. You're hit with "dev/hda1 ext3 y/
    > n dev/hda5 swap y/n"....and you're left wondering what??? (Just go
    > with the defaults)
    >
    > If you do try out Xubuntu then the beginners forum at ubuntuforums is
    > your best friend
    > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73
    >
    > Let me know if you want a diwana invite

    Hi Miguel, I'd love an invite to diwana. I didn't know it existed and that
    torrent seems perfect for my requirements. Far better than the 1.36GB one
    I'm not going to finish until sometime tomorrow. misfitnz at gmail will get
    me. I can offer you a torrent-damage invite in return. They're an excellent
    site but hard to keep a good ratio on as their uploaders are mostly in
    Europe on fibre connections.

    Torrents will help in the meantime but I'd like to do the live to air thing.
    I heard the result of yesterday's race despite taking precautions and I'm
    bloody annoyed with that sort of thing happening too often.

    I realise that Linux won't be easy for a beginner. Frankly I'm a little
    daunted by it. Especially as I'm taking benzodiazapienes for an anxiety
    disorder and they mess with the neural pathways involved with creating
    memories. (I can't wait until I no longer need the pills). I've decided to
    upgrade the machine I'm going to use to an AMD Applebred Duron 1.6GHz with
    512MB DDR RAM and a ti4200 with TV out. (Still only a 20GB HDD though, I'm
    short of HHDs. At least it's 7,200rpm/ATA133 [on an ATA100 controller]) The
    Applebred is a surprisingly fast CPU, comparable to an Athlon XP 2000 IMO.
    That with the increased RAM bandwidth going from SD to DDR (and doubling the
    amount) gives me a more capable machine.

    This machine will be used almost exclusively for watching F1. (And for
    cutting my teeth on a Linux distro) It doesn't need to do much else, if
    anything. Malcolm has been trying to get me to try SuSE for the longest time
    (I was originally going to dual-boot it on my main machine but didn't want
    to risk my Win install with no experienced person here to assist with
    set-up) so I see this as an opportunity to use SuSE. Malcolm seems to think
    it's good and he's not put me crook yet. :) Also, I have the full install
    (DL) DVD for SuSE 10, including all optional packages, sitting next to me,
    no downloading required. (I'm not sure if I'll have to upgrade to 10.2, or
    even if an upgrade (as opposed to a re-install) is possible)

    I *am* Linux-curious. I'm also very good at swearing, cursing and hurling
    copious amounts of abuse. <g>

    Hmm. Ubuntu or SuSE? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind
    to face the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or, to take arms
    against a sea of troubles.

    Errr. Sidetracked there. :) I'll await a reply (or email) from Malcolm re:
    whether I need SuSE 10.2. I'd like to minimise downloading, especially until
    I get this damn torrent. I'll decide on the distro soon.

    Thanks a lot for the reply, and the offer of the diwana invite.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Blue wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:20:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > So... I have a Pinnacle TV card with a conexant BT848 chip, a
    > > gigabyte 'integrated' mobo with 256Mb RAM, a 1.4GHz Tualatin
    > > Celeron CPU, a reasonable UHF antenna and I'm sick of trying to
    > > find F1 torrents.
    > >
    > > Do I need to go the Linux route to get this working? I'm not
    > > familiar with Linux at all.
    > >
    > > I would *really* appreciate any help with this. I can be reached at
    > > misfitnz at gmail if anyone would like to reply non-publicly.
    > >
    > > With gratitude..

    > If you do the Linux route you may wish to get a distro tuned for
    > mutimedia.
    >
    > http://www.dynebolic.org/ is one. Live CD so download and try.

    Thanks Blue. I'll make a decision soon and see about what I'm downloading.
    :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  11. ~misfit~

    El Chippy Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:11:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Sounds good. If I can play Diablo 2 - Lord of Destruction on line then I
    > could well say bye-bye to Redmond forever.

    You can... and no need for cedega, wine does it. Framerate wasn't as good
    for me under linux, but IIRC you are an Nvidia user, their driver support
    is better.
    El Chippy, Mar 19, 2007
  12. ~misfit~

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 19, 6:20 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Hi Miguel, I'd love an invite to diwana. I didn't know it existed and that
    > torrent seems perfect for my requirements.

    Hi Shaun...I've sent the diwana invite so check your gmail. Diwana has
    lately been moving to new servers so their invite system has been
    unreliable. Let me know if it's not arrived in the next few hours.

    > I can offer you a torrent-damage invite in return.

    Sounds good.

    > Malcolm has been trying to get me to try SuSE for the longest time

    >I'm not sure if I'll have to upgrade to 10.2,
    >or even if an upgrade (as opposed to a re-install) is possible)

    SuSE is certainly one of the classier distros. Upgrading 10 to 10.2
    shouldn't be a problem (famous last words :)

    I used SuSE up to SuSE 9.x then decided to change cos I "inherited" a
    lot of old machines. Xubuntu Alternate is a good light-weight distro
    for ~1GHz/256MB machines.

    > I *am* Linux-curious. I'm also very good at swearing, cursing and hurling
    > copious amounts of abuse. <g>

    If you're as techy as your posts make you sound :) you'll totally
    appreciate Linux.

    Regards
    Miguel

    PS Cedega allows you to play all the latest games too (apparently. I
    can't speak from experience)
    Miguel, Mar 19, 2007
  13. ~misfit~

    Miguel Guest

    > > If you do the Linux route you may wish to get a distro tuned for
    > > mutimedia.

    > >http://www.dynebolic.org/is one. Live CD so download and try.

    Forgot to say....this is what makes Linux smarter than the average
    bear.

    If you decide to try Linux, try a multimedia focused distro such as
    the one Blue recommended. (Can't speak of it from experience)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Mar 19, 2007
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > > > If you do the Linux route you may wish to get a distro tuned for
    > > > mutimedia.

    > > > http://www.dynebolic.org/is one. Live CD so download and try.

    > Forgot to say....this is what makes Linux smarter than the average
    > bear.
    >
    > If you decide to try Linux, try a multimedia focused distro such as
    > the one Blue recommended. (Can't speak of it from experience)

    I read the page, it sounds good, I just don't know about this viewing
    encoded broadcast stuff. Obviously I'd have to install to HDD rather than
    run it full-time from a live CD if I needed additional 'components' for the
    decoding.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 6:20 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi Miguel, I'd love an invite to diwana. I didn't know it existed
    > > and that torrent seems perfect for my requirements.

    > Hi Shaun...I've sent the diwana invite so check your gmail. Diwana has
    > lately been moving to new servers so their invite system has been
    > unreliable. Let me know if it's not arrived in the next few hours.

    Got it, thanks. :)

    > > I can offer you a torrent-damage invite in return.

    > Sounds good.

    Been sent apparently. It has to be accepted within 24 hours of issue.

    > > Malcolm has been trying to get me to try SuSE for the longest time

    > > I'm not sure if I'll have to upgrade to 10.2,
    > > or even if an upgrade (as opposed to a re-install) is possible)

    > SuSE is certainly one of the classier distros. Upgrading 10 to 10.2
    > shouldn't be a problem (famous last words :)

    Hehee! Ok, thanks.

    > I used SuSE up to SuSE 9.x then decided to change cos I "inherited" a
    > lot of old machines. Xubuntu Alternate is a good light-weight distro
    > for ~1GHz/256MB machines.

    Ok. As I said, I can use a faster machine so might give SuSE a try.

    > > I *am* Linux-curious. I'm also very good at swearing, cursing and
    > > hurling copious amounts of abuse. <g>

    > If you're as techy as your posts make you sound :) you'll totally
    > appreciate Linux.

    Hehee! I know my hardware and some basic Windows stuff but have *zero*
    experience with Linux.

    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  16. ~misfit~

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 19, 6:28 pm, El Chippy <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:11:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Sounds good. If I can play Diablo 2 - Lord of Destruction on line then I
    > > could well say bye-bye to Redmond forever.

    > You can... and no need for cedega, wine does it. Framerate wasn't as good
    > for me under linux, but IIRC you are an Nvidia user, their driver support
    > is better.

    ....or http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=2318
    which is cedega (although as I said I've never used it before)

    > > > I can offer you a torrent-damage invite in return.

    > > Sounds good.

    > Been sent apparently. It has to be accepted within 24 hours of issue.

    Received thanks :)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Mar 19, 2007
  17. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Shaun...First off...if this is all because you can't find an F1
    >>> torrent I could send you an invite to diwana.org No need for linux
    >>> at all.
    >>>
    >>> <snip diwana>
    >>> 2007_Aus_F1_GP_Sunday_Race.mp4.torrent
    >>> Full F1 Race including post-race interviews from Melbourne,
    >>> Australia. 1000kbps h264 hi-quality WS cap
    >>> 775 MB
    >>> </snip>
    >>>

    >> Or he could download tvuplayer and watch it live on Star Sports.

    > Seriously? Would a NZ ADSL connection be adequate for this? Considering I
    > can't even stream youtube stuff at certain times of the day?
    >
    > Cheers,

    I am going to test it at next race will let you know how it goes
    Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2007
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > > "Miguel" <> wrote in message

    > > > Or he could download tvuplayer and watch it live on Star Sports.

    > > Seriously? Would a NZ ADSL connection be adequate for this?
    > > Considering I can't even stream youtube stuff at certain times of
    > > the day? Cheers,

    > I am going to test it at next race will let you know how it goes

    Cool. Thanks. Might give it a try myself...
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:11:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds good. If I can play Diablo 2 - Lord of Destruction on line
    > > then I could well say bye-bye to Redmond forever.

    > You can... and no need for cedega, wine does it. Framerate wasn't as
    > good for me under linux, but IIRC you are an Nvidia user, their
    > driver support is better.

    Ok, thanks for that. :)
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 19, 2007
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 6:28 pm, El Chippy <>
    > wrote:
    > > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:11:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > > Sounds good. If I can play Diablo 2 - Lord of Destruction on line
    > > > then I could well say bye-bye to Redmond forever.

    > > You can... and no need for cedega, wine does it. Framerate wasn't
    > > as good for me under linux, but IIRC you are an Nvidia user, their
    > > driver support is better.

    > ...or http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=2318
    > which is cedega (although as I said I've never used it before)

    Ok. El Chippy and I both play LoD and frequent a froup dedicated to it.

    > > > Sounds good.

    > > Been sent apparently. It has to be accepted within 24 hours of
    > > issue.

    > Received thanks :)

    Cool. It's a good site.

    Cheers,