    So my questions are:
    1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?
    2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?
    Matty F, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Matty F

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 29 Sep 2006 13:52:47 -0700, "Matty F" <> wrote:

    >I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
    >installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
    >childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
    >However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it and
    >to get on the the Internet.
    >It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
    >I'm using ADSL via a USB port.
    >
    >There are difficulties.
    >The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
    >power off while connecting it etc.

    Excellent idea :)

    See if you can find it on http://distrowatch.com

    >2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

    Should do.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Matty F

    Malcolm Guest

    On 29 Sep 2006 13:52:47 -0700
    "Matty F" <> wrote:

    > I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
    > installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
    > childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
    > However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it
    > and to get on the the Internet.
    > It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
    > I'm using ADSL via a USB port.
    >
    > There are difficulties.
    > The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
    > power off while connecting it etc.
    > The Win98SE drive has hardware errors and will probably not work again
    > if I turn the power off.
    > I have backed up all my important data on to CD, which consists of
    > text files, JPG etc.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    > 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google
    > it? 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

    Hi
    Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;

    http://www.puppyos.com/
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

    Have you looked here;

    http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    If it's just text files and jpegs should be no problems. Puppy has
    Abiword which should be ok for any word type documents.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿°
    SUSE 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.13-15.10-smp
    Malcolm, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
    >
    > http://www.puppyos.com/
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >
    > Have you looked here;
    >
    > http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
    All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
    installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
    was called a name that would put most people off it.
    i.e. it is a really really common name.

    On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
    Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
    almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.
    Matty F, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Matty F

    Earl Grey Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
    >>
    >> http://www.puppyos.com/
    >> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >>
    >> Have you looked here;
    >>
    >> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    > No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
    > All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
    > installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
    > was called a name that would put most people off it.
    > i.e. it is a really really common name.

    Something as common as a window or an apple

    > On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
    > Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
    > almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

    If you have the option of connecting by ethernet to your ADSL router it
    will probably easier to get working than USB

    Usually just the network connections GUI applet in your system options
    is sufficient if you are connecting via an ethernet connection.
    Otherwise all linux distros keep their network settings in
    /etc/network/interfaces
    with an entry like
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    for help on this file try
    man interfaces

    For dialup there are configurators like kppp
    I've always tried to to keep connections to linux boxes either serial
    port modems or ethernet because thats all guaranteed to work.

    If I was going to try connecting a USB modem I would be looking at a
    distro like ubuntu which has ndiswrapper to host the windows driver
    supplied with the modem.
    You probably shouldn't bother with any of that if you have, or can put a
    network card in your pc and use the ethernet connection if for example
    you have received a Dlink DSL302 as part of your ADSL account.
    Earl Grey, Sep 30, 2006
  6. Matty F wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
    >>
    >> http://www.puppyos.com/
    >> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >>
    >> Have you looked here;
    >>
    >> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    > No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
    > All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
    > installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
    > was called a name that would put most people off it.
    > i.e. it is a really really common name.

    here are some more lists:

    > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    > http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

    > On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
    > Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
    > almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

    This depends on the distribution and the installation.

    Using ADSL via USB is beyond my experience, however if you were using a CAT5
    ethernet interface then making sure it was configured to set it's networking
    parameters using DHCP it should just work. The ifconfig command may help, or ip
    if you are using a recent system.

    You may wish to look at the file /etc/networking/interfaces if it exists on
    your linux system.

    A Ubuntu CD may be a better way to start experimenting if your system will
    support it. You can sign up at the website and they will send you one free, or
    I'm sure someone near you will burn you one if you can't download and burn one
    yourself.
    Mark Robinson, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Matty F

    Philip Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
    > installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
    > childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.
    > However it seemed to be very easy to use and I'd like to now use it and
    > to get on the the Internet.
    > It was not obvious to me how to connect to the Intenet. With Win98SE
    > I'm using ADSL via a USB port.
    >
    > There are difficulties.
    > The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
    > power off while connecting it etc.
    > The Win98SE drive has hardware errors and will probably not work again
    > if I turn the power off.
    > I have backed up all my important data on to CD, which consists of text
    > files, JPG etc.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    > 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?
    > 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

    Silly is a matter of opinion - would you seriously call an oil company
    Shell, a computer maker Apple, a power lines company Thus?

    I suggest you get hold of an Ubuntu CD (I can send you one if you like -
    e-mail your address to me at ) and try it out. Boot
    from it, check out what it does, see if it can read your backups (I
    expect it will) and if you like it then install it on your machine,
    either as a dual-boot or as the only OS on the hard drive.

    If you are running Win 98SE you probably have a fairly limited amount of
    space on the HD, like 10 GB. You can certainly run Linux on a small HD,
    or you may like to consider getting a larger (120 GB) HD and installing
    your new OS on that. There is nothing to stop you re-installing your
    Windows 98SE or a later version of Windows if you have one, and then
    installing Ubuntu beside it. You could easily use either of your
    existing HDs in a USB housing, so you could access all your data without
    worrying about the integrity of the OS segment.

    Over the last few months I've been progressivelý transferring all my
    home and work computers to Ubuntu Linux, and have so far met no
    insuperable problems.

    Pretty much everything that runs on Windows can either be cajoled with
    WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) into running on Linux or has a Linux
    equivalent, including major business programs.

    The advantages of Ubuntu Linux over MS Windows:

    It's stable, pretty well virus-free, and costs you nothing.
    It's inherently secure - malware has much less chance to get into your
    system and do harm, and the criminal filth that write and distribute
    harmful programs tend not to try to attack Linux.
    There are no EULA contracts to sign
    There are no licensing issues in a business environment (can you really
    prove to FAST & the BSA that you have valid licences for everything on
    your computer, and show them the purchase invoices & receipts?)
    The OS does not limit what you can do with your computer, nor does it
    'call home' unless you tell it to.
    Upgrades are just that - they don't try to take rights and potential
    away from you
    Linux, like the Unix that is in its ancestry, is inherently a networking
    system. Ubuntu can run very well on its own, but is also designed to
    make the most of being online, and will, if you agree, configure itself
    to any network it finds.
    You can get in touch directly with the people that write the program,
    and with countless online experts who will help you.
    You won't have to get involved with the restrictive DRM-laden Windows Vista

    The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux

    There's more overt support and hand-holding in magazines and books
    You can buy support direct from the Microsoft company, even for Win98 SE
    if you are a big enough corporate, but you really shouldn't be running
    that in a business environment. You'd be better off with Win 2K, which
    is solid, stable and still has residual corporate support.
    Most people you know are running MS Windows
    Virtually any hardware you have is supported by its manufacturer for MS
    Windows
    Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
    (newbie) and not knowing something.

    For me the choice is clear.

    Philip
    Philip, Sep 30, 2006
  8. Matty F

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:40:34 +1200, Philip wrote:

    > The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux

    [snip]

    > Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
    > (newbie) and not knowing something.

    Huh? The Linux support groups are friendly, with the odd grump.
    Gordon, Sep 30, 2006
  9. Matty F

    Shane Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
    >>
    >> http://www.puppyos.com/
    >> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >>
    >> Have you looked here;
    >>
    >> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    > No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
    > All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
    > installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
    > was called a name that would put most people off it.
    > i.e. it is a really really common name.

    Have you, um, thought about asking the Auckland Lug?
    They run a mailing list somewhere

    > On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
    > Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
    > almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

    --
    Ndnd:[reading a candy heart] What is this emotion you call 'wuv'?
    Lrrr: Surely it says 'love'!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 30, 2006
  10. Matty F

    Philip Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:40:34 +1200, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
    >> (newbie) and not knowing something.

    > Huh? The Linux support groups are friendly, with the odd grump.

    Indeed, most are, particularly the Ubuntu groups, but I've seen some
    absolute classics of teen testosterone strutting in several of the
    geberal Linux discussions.

    It's usually centred around "my OS / computer / willy is bigger / better
    / cooler than anything you would have in the rat-infested dungheap you
    call home" shouting matches.

    A bit like Apple Mac fanboys only with more bad language and l33t-speak.

    Philip
    Philip, Sep 30, 2006
  11. Matty F

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-29, Matty F <> wrote:

    > I have forgotten the name of the Linux distribution that a kind person
    > installed on a spare hard drive on my PC. The name is really quite
    > childish, and I can't see it in any Linux lists anywhere.

    Debian names its releases after characters from the motion picture "Toy Story"

    Slink Woody Buzz Potato Sarge Etch (not neccesarily an exhaustive list or in order)

    Ubuntu seem to be fond of alliteration "Dapper Drake" etc...

    Mandrake was named after that cartoon wizard (and later renamed to mandriva
    for legal reasons)

    Slackware gets its name from the church of the subgenius.

    > There are difficulties.
    > The Linux disk drive is currently unplugged and I'd like to turn the
    > power off while connecting it etc.
    > The Win98SE drive has hardware errors and will probably not work again
    > if I turn the power off.
    > I have backed up all my important data on to CD, which consists of text
    > files, JPG etc.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    > 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?

    it may be one of the above?

    > 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

    If 98se can, yes.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Sep 30, 2006
  12. Matty F

    Shane Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:40:34 +1200, Philip wrote:
    >>
    >>> The advantages of MS Windows over Ubuntu Linux
    >>>

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Nobody in a Windows support forum will sneer at you for being a n00b
    >>> (newbie) and not knowing something.

    >> Huh? The Linux support groups are friendly, with the odd grump.

    > Indeed, most are, particularly the Ubuntu groups, but I've seen some
    > absolute classics of teen testosterone strutting in several of the
    > geberal Linux discussions.
    >
    > It's usually centred around "my OS / computer / willy is bigger / better
    > / cooler than anything you would have in the rat-infested dungheap you
    > call home" shouting matches.
    >
    > A bit like Apple Mac fanboys only with more bad language and l33t-speak.
    >
    > Philip

    The worst experience I have had with that behaviour was a #windows channel
    on IRC
    I was asking about sam files, something held on my computer, and holding my
    passwords. And I was told I wasnt "allowed" to know about that sort of
    thing
    To this day it still makes me chuckle that that was their idea of security

    --
    Fry: He's an animal. He belongs in the wild. Or in the circus on one of
    those tiny tricycles. Now that's entertainment.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 30, 2006
  13. Matty F

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-30, Matty F <> wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
    >>
    >> http://www.puppyos.com/
    >> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >>
    >> Have you looked here;
    >>
    >> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    > No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
    > All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
    > installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
    > was called a name that would put most people off it.
    > i.e. it is a really really common name.

    like John? (i don't know any linux called John)

    > On the other hand, what piece of software allows a connection to the
    > Internet on a Linux system? I could not see anything, even though
    > almost every piece of software known in Linux is on my machine.

    what sort of internet connection, through what hardware...

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Sep 30, 2006
  14. Matty F

    Enkidu Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> Puppy or Damn Small Linux maybe;
    >>
    >> http://www.puppyos.com/
    >> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >>
    >> Have you looked here;
    >>
    >> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

    > No the name is not there. Perhaps "distribution" is the wrong word.
    > All I can say is that there were just a few Linux systems being
    > installed in an instalfest in Auckland, and this was one of them and it
    > was called a name that would put most people off it.
    > i.e. it is a really really common name.

    SuSe??
    Enkidu, Sep 30, 2006
  15. Matty F

    steve Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > So my questions are:
    > 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?

    Doesn't it boot up with a logo or message?

    > 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

    Yes...unless they were written with some oddball software that uses its own
    non-standard method of structuring data on CDs.
    steve, Sep 30, 2006
  16. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    > > So my questions are:
    > > 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?

    > Doesn't it boot up with a logo or message?

    Very likely. But the Linux drive is disconnected, and I dare not shut
    down this Win98SE system because it may not ever start again. Scandisk
    indicates a serious error in the hard disk.
    However I have just been lent another computer, so I'll put the Linux
    drive in that.

    > > 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?

    > Yes...unless they were written with some oddball software that uses its own
    > non-standard method of structuring data on CDs.

    Just Nero 6 Ultra Edition.
    Matty F, Sep 30, 2006
  17. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Have you, um, thought about asking the Auckland Lug?
    > They run a mailing list somewhere

    So far, Linux people seem to talk a different language from me.
    I joined the mailing list for 6 months and most of the messages were
    meaningless.
    #linux IRC is even worse. They seem to be mostly very rude juveniles in
    those.

    However, I will persevere.
    Matty F, Sep 30, 2006
  18. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:

    > > 1. What's a silly damn Linux distribution name so that I can Google it?
    > > 2. Will Linux be able to read my Win98SE backups on CD?
    > >

    > Silly is a matter of opinion - would you seriously call an oil company
    > Shell, a computer maker Apple, a power lines company Thus?

    I meant "damn silly". I just cannot recall the name, which is very
    frustrating. Never mind, I now have another computer that I can put the
    Linux drive in. Then I'll post the name and everyone will say "duh, I
    knew that but I didn't think that Flubberjelly Linux was a stupid name"
    :)

    The Linux system that I have seems very powerful, so I'd rather stick
    with that.
    I don't need convincing about the merits of Linux over Windows.

    I was an IBM 360 assembler programmer, involving reverse-engineering
    IBM system software and writing compilers. How hard can Linux be?
    Matty F, Sep 30, 2006
  19. Matty F

    Earl Grey Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Have you, um, thought about asking the Auckland Lug?
    >> They run a mailing list somewhere

    > So far, Linux people seem to talk a different language from me.
    > I joined the mailing list for 6 months and most of the messages were
    > meaningless.
    > #linux IRC is even worse. They seem to be mostly very rude juveniles in
    > those.
    >
    > However, I will persevere.

    Have a look at Ubuntu, the wiki, the forums, and some of the unofficial
    documentation sites.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
    http://www.ubuntu.com/community/irc
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

    And for a basic linux textbook
    http://www.amazon.com/Linux-User-Tutorial-Exposition-CD-ROM/dp/0130333514
    Its mirrored online as html many places.
    Earl Grey, Sep 30, 2006
  20. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > If you have the option of connecting by ethernet to your ADSL router it
    > will probably easier to get working than USB
    >
    > Usually just the network connections GUI applet in your system options
    > is sufficient if you are connecting via an ethernet connection.
    > Otherwise all linux distros keep their network settings in
    > /etc/network/interfaces
    > with an entry like
    > auto eth0
    > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > for help on this file try
    > man interfaces
    >
    > For dialup there are configurators like kppp
    > I've always tried to to keep connections to linux boxes either serial
    > port modems or ethernet because thats all guaranteed to work.
    >
    > If I was going to try connecting a USB modem I would be looking at a
    > distro like ubuntu which has ndiswrapper to host the windows driver
    > supplied with the modem.
    > You probably shouldn't bother with any of that if you have, or can put a
    > network card in your pc and use the ethernet connection if for example
    > you have received a Dlink DSL302 as part of your ADSL account.

    Thanks for that. I'll check it out when I get Linux in the new computer
    which I have just obtained.

    I have a Dlink DSL302G. The single Ethernet socket is being used by a
    PC running Windows XP. The USB socket is used by my PC running Win98SE.
    That is, until it dies with hard drive failure which is imminent. It's
    been running for days without its usual blue screens and crashes. This
    is a record.
    Matty F, Sep 30, 2006