    with [ba]sh will do.

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 31, 2005

  2. The Other Guy

    Axle Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Use FreeBSD would normally be the correct answer, but not for this one :)
    >
    > I wish to port an C-based application to Linux, but don't want to
    > download a huge Linux installation just to be able to do so.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a very simple Linux distribution that ships with
    > the basic components to allow me to do development work?
    >
    > I'm sure many of the Linux distributions out there only require disk 1
    > of their CD sets, but a mimimal install of 100-200MB would be
    > preferable. No need for X or any of that rubbish, just a command line
    > with [ba]sh will do.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Damn Small Linux
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    It turns into debian on a hard disk install, so you can apt get install
    anything else you need.

    Or just install debians base install with one of the netinst disks or
    disk one
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

    Axle, Mar 31, 2005

  3. The Other Guy

    thing Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Use FreeBSD would normally be the correct answer, but not for this one :)
    >
    > I wish to port an C-based application to Linux, but don't want to
    > download a huge Linux installation just to be able to do so.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a very simple Linux distribution that ships with
    > the basic components to allow me to do development work?
    >
    > I'm sure many of the Linux distributions out there only require disk 1
    > of their CD sets, but a mimimal install of 100-200MB would be
    > preferable. No need for X or any of that rubbish, just a command line
    > with [ba]sh will do.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Other Guy

    A base install of Debian, about 200~250Meg. Then of course the tools you
    are going to use need to be added to that. You probably also want a
    small swap, so realistically even a small 250meg swap partition and 750
    for / means 1 gig to make it usable.

    RH minimal install is also around the 450~500 meg size, depends on what
    or how you plan on packaging your output.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 31, 2005
  4. The Other Guy

    Chris Hope Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > I wish to port an C-based application to Linux, but don't want to
    > download a huge Linux installation just to be able to do so.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a very simple Linux distribution that ships with
    > the basic components to allow me to do development work?
    >
    > I'm sure many of the Linux distributions out there only require disk 1
    > of their CD sets, but a mimimal install of 100-200MB would be
    > preferable. No need for X or any of that rubbish, just a command line
    > with [ba]sh will do.

    As Axle pointed out there's Damn Small although I don't think it has a C
    compiler included. Slax professional is a live cd which does. It's
    based on Slackware. http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php

    Chris Hope, Mar 31, 2005
  5. The Other Guy

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:12:28 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Use FreeBSD would normally be the correct answer, but not for this one :)
    >
    > I wish to port an C-based application to Linux, but don't want to
    > download a huge Linux installation just to be able to do so.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a very simple Linux distribution that ships with
    > the basic components to allow me to do development work?
    >
    > I'm sure many of the Linux distributions out there only require disk 1
    > of their CD sets, but a mimimal install of 100-200MB would be
    > preferable. No need for X or any of that rubbish, just a command line
    > with [ba]sh will do.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Other Guy

    1. Use gnu as a cross compiler.
    2. Use Knoppix
    3. Pay me to do it :)

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 31, 2005
  6. The Other Guy

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:12:28 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Use FreeBSD would normally be the correct answer, but not for this one :)
    >
    > I wish to port an C-based application to Linux, but don't want to
    > download a huge Linux installation just to be able to do so.

    Psst, your letter box might receive a CD or 5 if someone knew where it was.

    > Can anyone recommend a very simple Linux distribution that ships with
    > the basic components to allow me to do development work?
    >
    > I'm sure many of the Linux distributions out there only require disk 1
    > of their CD sets, but a mimimal install of 100-200MB would be
    > preferable. No need for X or any of that rubbish, just a command line
    > with [ba]sh will do.

    So you want the basics? Ms Penguin in the middle of molting.

    I have installed Mandrake with out any GUI serveral times.

    Puppy, and Google may know more. As a suggestion.

    Now, I wonder if if are trolling, for you have been posting here awhile,
    or was that in nz.general? ;-)

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Gordon wrote:
    >>Use FreeBSD would normally be the correct answer, but not for this one :)
    >>
    >>I wish to port an C-based application to Linux, but don't want to
    >>download a huge Linux installation just to be able to do so.

    > Psst, your letter box might receive a CD or 5 if someone knew where it was.

    Thanks for the offer. I don't really have a problem with downloading the
    ISO files, I just don't see much point in downloading 4-5 CD images to
    do something basic that can probably be done with some minimal Linux
    distributions.

    Downloading SLAX at the moment... there is a developer ISO that is only
    250MB.

    Last time I installed any Linux distribution I only required one CD, the
    distributions I've looked at (being the mainstream distributions I'm
    familiar with) either don't say if you need more than the first disk, or
    say you need all of them...

    E.g. Fedora...

    "To install Fedora Core, download the DVD image or the four ISO images"

    I need *four* images just to install???

    I've used a few small Linux distributions (routers etc), but don't
    recall any that shipped with GCC and other development tools.

    >>Can anyone recommend a very simple Linux distribution that ships with
    >>the basic components to allow me to do development work?
    >>
    >>I'm sure many of the Linux distributions out there only require disk 1
    >>of their CD sets, but a mimimal install of 100-200MB would be
    >>preferable. No need for X or any of that rubbish, just a command line
    >>with [ba]sh will do.

    > So you want the basics? Ms Penguin in the middle of molting.
    >
    > I have installed Mandrake with out any GUI serveral times.

    Burried deep in the Mandrake documentation it appears you only require
    the first disk, so I may give that a try if SLAX doesn't work out.

    > Puppy, and Google may know more. As a suggestion.
    >
    > Now, I wonder if if are trolling, for you have been posting here awhile,
    > or was that in nz.general? ;-)

    Been posting here for years... my archives go back to 2001. I'm no
    troll, but I will recommend *BSD over Linux if I think it is a better
    choice :)

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 31, 2005
  8. The Other Guy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    The Other Guy <> wrote in news:424ba7de$:

    >> Puppy, and Google may know more. As a suggestion.

    Puppy linux is very very small. I don't know if it has compilers built in
    though I am sure you could apt-get them or whatever it uses.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 31, 2005
  9. In article <424ba7de$>,
    The Other Guy <> wrote:

    >Last time I installed any Linux distribution I only required one CD, the
    >distributions I've looked at (being the mainstream distributions I'm
    >familiar with) either don't say if you need more than the first disk, or
    >say you need all of them...
    >
    >E.g. Fedora...
    >
    >"To install Fedora Core, download the DVD image or the four ISO images"
    >
    >I need *four* images just to install???

    Probably only if you want to install the full set of packages. The more
    "mainstream"-orientated distributions would tend to count development
    tools as being something only of interest to a minority. So they would
    be relegated to some disc other than the first one of a multi-disc set.
    I know the Mandrake 9.2 "Discovery Edition" that I got last year with my
    Shuttle only had 2 CDs, not 3, and I had to go on-line and find a
    Mandrake mirror to pull down the development tools.

    In other words, if your idea of a minimal system includes development
    tools, you may be happier with a more geek-oriented distribution. Debian
    and Slackware spring to mind.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2005
  10. The Other Guy

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:22:34 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    > E.g. Fedora...
    >
    > "To install Fedora Core, download the DVD image or the four ISO images"
    >
    > I need *four* images just to install???

    Yep, your 'stripped down' Fedora system will install from disk 1, but the
    3 other small development packages you need will be located on disks 2, 3,
    and 4 respectively.

    Murphy's law :)

    Myself I'd use Debian. I'd just install the base system only, then apt-get
    the individual packages needed.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton