    overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.

    Oh my.

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    impossible, Sep 3, 2009

  2. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 3, 2009

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    news:h7nhje$ioj$-september.org...
    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    >>
    >> April 2009 2.16%
    >> May 2009 2.13%
    >> June 2009 2.11%
    >> July 2009 2.02%
    >> Aug 2009 1.97%
    >>
    >> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
    >> nearly overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
    >>
    >> Oh my.
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > More comprehensive:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems

    Yes, very good. I'll bookmark that.

    impossible, Sep 3, 2009
  4. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "vitw" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:32:21 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    >>
    >> April 2009 2.16%
    >> May 2009 2.13%
    >> June 2009 2.11%
    >> July 2009 2.02%
    >> Aug 2009 1.97%

    > Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
    > exceeds 130.
    >
    > A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
    > Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
    > less.

    Correlation does not imply causation

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 3, 2009
  5. impossible

    Murray Symon Guest

    http://xkcd.com/552/

    Murray Symon, Sep 3, 2009
  6. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> "vitw" <> wrote in message

    >>> Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
    >>> exceeds 130.
    >>>
    >>> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
    >>> Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05
    >>> or
    >>> less.

    >> Correlation does not imply causation

    > http://xkcd.com/552/

    Yes, very fond of Mr Munroe

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 3, 2009
  7. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "vitw" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 04:32:21 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    >>
    >> April 2009 2.16%
    >> May 2009 2.13%
    >> June 2009 2.11%
    >> July 2009 2.02%
    >> Aug 2009 1.97%

    > Those percentages are close to the percentage of the population whose IQ
    > exceeds 130.
    >
    > A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
    > Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
    > less.

    Could be. Also approximates the percentage of the population living in
    Denial. We'll have to keep an eye on these numbers.

    impossible, Sep 3, 2009
  8. impossible

    Simon Guest

    On Sep 3, 8:03 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > > A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, uses Linux vs doesn't use
    > > Linux would almost certainly show statistical significance at p < 0.05 or
    > > less.

    > Correlation does not imply causation

    Touche!

    Simon, Sep 4, 2009
  9. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "vitw" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:03:25 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Correlation does not imply causation

    > I know that catchphrase too - I started bleating it more than 20 years
    > ago.
    >
    > Anyway, I wasn't saying or even implying anything about causation. My
    > prior post was totally about correlation. What I was actually saying was
    > that linux users are an elite group, and likely have a much higher than
    > average IQ.

    Seems reasonable

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 4, 2009
  10. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    >
    > April 2009    2.16%
    > May 2009    2.13%
    > June 2009    2.11%
    > July 2009     2.02%
    > Aug 2009     1.97%
    >
    > Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's nearly
    > overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
    >
    > Oh my.
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
    Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

    peterwn, Sep 4, 2009
  11. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > > This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    > >
    > > April 2009 2.16%
    > > May 2009 2.13%
    > > June 2009 2.11%
    > > July 2009 2.02%
    > > Aug 2009 1.97%
    > >
    > > Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
    > > nearly
    > > overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
    > >
    > > Oh my.
    > >
    > > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    > initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    > and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    > allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    > have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    > marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
    > Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    > that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

    Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
    steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

    That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of them
    bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 4, 2009
  12. impossible

    impossible Guest

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > >> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    > >>
    > >> April 2009 2.16%
    > >> May 2009 2.13%
    > >> June 2009 2.11%
    > >> July 2009 2.02%
    > >> Aug 2009 1.97%
    > >>
    > >> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
    > >> nearly
    > >> overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
    > >>
    > >> Oh my.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    > initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    > and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    > allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    > have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    > marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
    > Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    > that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

    All gibberish aside, the number of Linux users is declining.

    impossible, Sep 4, 2009
  13. impossible

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> > This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    >> >
    >> > April 2009 2.16%
    >> > May 2009 2.13%
    >> > June 2009 2.11%
    >> > July 2009 2.02%
    >> > Aug 2009 1.97%
    >> >
    >> > Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's
    >> > nearly
    >> > overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
    >> >
    >> > Oh my.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    >> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    >> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    >> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    >> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    >> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    >> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
    >> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    >> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

    > Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
    > steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

    Who are you kidding?! In the space of 6 months, usage of the Windows 7 RC
    has nearly ec lipsed 18 years of Linux "growth".

    > That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of them
    > bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

    A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, dual-boots Windows vs doesn't
    dual-boots Windows, would almost certainly show statistical significance at
    p < 0.01 or less.

    impossible, Sep 4, 2009
  14. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >>> "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >>> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    >>> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    >>> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    >>> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    >>> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    >>> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
    >>> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    >>> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.
    >>>

    >> All gibberish aside, the number of Linux users is declining.

    > The number of, or the percentage of?
    > --

    Last I looked, percentage=number.

    impossible, Sep 4, 2009
  15. impossible

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >>> The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    >>> initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    >>> and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    >>> allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    >>> have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    >>> marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefers
    >>> Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    >>> that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

    >> Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
    >> steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

    > Who are you kidding?! In the space of 6 months, usage of the Windows 7 RC
    > has nearly ec lipsed 18 years of Linux "growth".

    As compared to itself, not against other OSes. Look at its share a couple
    of years ago compared to now.

    >> That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of them
    >> bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

    > A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, dual-boots Windows vs
    > doesn't dual-boots Windows, would almost certainly show statistical
    > significance at p < 0.01 or less.

    Now you're just being facetious :)

    I'm not interested in OS wars anyway, it's like partisan politics, neither
    proponents on the left nor right can ever be right about *everything* and
    each will often take a contrary stance to the other on any given topic
    regardless of the underlying objective truth just because of their chosen
    alignment. Seems irrational to me.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 4, 2009
  16. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-04, vitw <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:03:25 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Correlation does not imply causation

    > I know that catchphrase too - I started bleating it more than 20 years
    > ago.
    >
    > Anyway, I wasn't saying or even implying anything about causation. My
    > prior post was totally about correlation. What I was actually saying was
    > that linux users are an elite group, and likely have a much higher than
    > average IQ.

    I would argue that they are the gate swingers, the people who are cynical,
    and can see other ways. Open minded people, who challenge the convential
    ideas of the times.

    Same as the hippies of the 70's who said recycling was the way to go, it
    needed to be done. Now we have a band wagon which takes all people, whether
    they understand or not.

    Its a mind set, and attitude, they way ones brain is wired.

    In a dumbed downed society, even an average IQ used to capacity will shine

    Gordon, Sep 4, 2009
  17. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-04, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 4:32 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> This is bloody tragic for the nix fanboys.
    >>
    >> April 2009    2.16%
    >> May 2009    2.13%
    >> June 2009    2.11%
    >> July 2009     2.02%
    >> Aug 2009     1.97%
    >>
    >> Windows 7 hasn't even been officially released yet, but at 1.64% it's nearly
    >> overtaken 18 years of Linux....ahem...growth.
    >>
    >> Oh my.
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > The explanation is quite simple - ASUS eee and similar devices were
    > initially only offered with Linux since Vista would not fit on them
    > and Microsoft would not let OEM's load XP on to them. Microsoft then
    > allowed XP to be installed on such machines, and other users would
    > have retrofitted XP to them. This addressed Microsoft's potential
    > marketing headache. It seems that the ordinary consumer market prefer
    > Windows because that is what it is used to. These figures do not imply
    > that the number of 'hard core' Linux users is declimimg.

    Yes, people have a comfort zone. Many accept that the world is the way of
    palm oil in chocolate, or that DRM is good for one.

    Saves them thinking. Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the
    probable reason reason why so few people do it. Henry Ford.

    Linux, and OSS is far from declining, it is quitely hoping onto/into many
    devices in which it does not need to show itself, because it works so well.

    Also, more and more people are becoming aware that Ms Windows is not only the
    only show on desktops.

    Finally, how can anyone tell what % of desktops are running Linux? For it
    spread by people talking to people and downloading from the Internet.

    Gordon, Sep 4, 2009
  18. impossible

    The Oxman Guest

    Linux users have achieved their own self fulfilling prophecy, with the
    continued release of a product at ZERO cost.
    Average Joe public determines any products quality based on how much the
    item cost.

    Not to mention the post installation support and product updates that falls
    upon the united community of debian users to provide each other.

    Lucky y'all gots an IQ over 130........

    HUH!!

    The Oxman, Sep 4, 2009
  19. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-09-04, vitw <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:03:25 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Correlation does not imply causation

    >> I know that catchphrase too - I started bleating it more than 20 years
    >> ago.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I wasn't saying or even implying anything about causation. My
    >> prior post was totally about correlation. What I was actually saying was
    >> that linux users are an elite group, and likely have a much higher than
    >> average IQ.

    > I would argue that they are the gate swingers, the people who are cynical,
    > and can see other ways. Open minded people, who challenge the convential
    > ideas of the times.

    Linux users? Judging by this newgroup, those would be the prats who never
    learned to separate fact from fiction.

    impossible, Sep 4, 2009
  20. impossible

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >>> "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >>> Indeed, and apart from this little drop usage has been growing fairly
    >>> steadily, as the wikipedia link that I posted shows.

    >> Who are you kidding?! In the space of 6 months, usage of the Windows 7 RC
    >> has nearly ec lipsed 18 years of Linux "growth".

    > As compared to itself, not against other OSes. Look at its share a couple
    > of years ago compared to now.
    >
    >>> That said, of the half dozen or so Linux users that I know, *all* of
    >>> them bar one also use Windows and/or OS X.

    >> A quick chi-squared on IQ <= 130 vs IQ > 130, dual-boots Windows vs
    >> doesn't dual-boots Windows, would almost certainly show statistical
    >> significance at p < 0.01 or less.

    > Now you're just being facetious :)
    >
    > I'm not interested in OS wars anyway, it's like partisan politics, neither
    > proponents on the left nor right can ever be right about *everything* and
    > each will often take a contrary stance to the other on any given topic
    > regardless of the underlying objective truth just because of their chosen
    > alignment. Seems irrational to me.

    It's just a game. And you're actually quite good at it. :)

    impossible, Sep 4, 2009