    construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.

    cheers
    Ron

    Unknown, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Unknown

    Peter Guest

    Unknown wrote:
    > I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    > with AMD xp2500 cpu.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
    >
    > I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
    > construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.

    I have Mandrake 10.0 running on Asus A7v333-X with AMD 2400XP. This
    hardware is over a year old, but runs Linux fine.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Unknown

    thing Guest

    Unknown wrote:
    > Hi
    > I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    > with AMD xp2500 cpu.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
    >
    > I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
    > construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
    >
    > cheers
    > Ron

    Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Unknown

    theseus Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    > with AMD xp2500 cpu.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
    >
    > I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
    > construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
    >
    > cheers
    > Ron

    The video is a via/s3G unichrome chipset which is only supported
    un-accelerated as VESA by xfree86 in the distros I have used lately.
    However I have it running on Debian testing with the driver from
    http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/
    I havent figured out how to get it into Xandros 2.0 yet.
    Probably best to get an nvidia card for it, that detects and runs the 3d
    drivers right away.

    theseus, Jul 15, 2004
  5. In article <2ipJc.8343$>,
    says...
    > Unknown wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    > > with AMD xp2500 cpu.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
    > >
    > > I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
    > > construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > Ron

    > Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

    Are they "anti linux" because they require NDAs to be signed for software
    licensing, as some companies do? Nothing to do with Linux, only only
    those Open Source Software ideologues.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Unknown

    Malcolm Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Unknown wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    >> with AMD xp2500 cpu.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had any experience with this,either good or bad?
    >>
    >> I chose this m/b because it is all-in -one that will hopefully simplify
    >> construction and setup,but am open to suggestions.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> Ron

    > Asus it seems is very anti-linux....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Hi
    ASUS provided LAN, RAID and Sound linux drivers for the P4C800-E Deluxe
    Motherboard I brought a short time ago.

    Cheers
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Jul 15, 2004
  7. thing wrote:
    >> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    >> with AMD xp2500 cpu.

    > Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

    how so?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  8. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:17:13 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

    Ah. That would be why their latest wireless access points are
    linux based and have the firmware source code available for
    download from their site...

    Andrew Bryson, Jul 16, 2004
  9. Andrew Bryson wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:17:13 +1200, thing wrote:
    >

    >>Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

    > Ah. That would be why their latest wireless access points are
    > linux based and have the firmware source code available for
    > download from their site...

    yeah... typical, those bastards.

    :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 16, 2004
  10. In article <>, dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz
    says...
    > thing wrote:
    > >> I'm planning on using linux on an Asus a7v8x-mx motherboard
    > >> with AMD xp2500 cpu.

    > > Asus it seems is very anti-linux....

    > how so?

    Some manufacturers are "anti linux" because they won't release code
    except under NDA.

    THat is actually a stance adopted by the open source software zealots who
    refuse to develop stuff unless they can release the source code,
    including the stuff released to them under an NDA.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 16, 2004
  11. Unknown

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:06:34 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > THat is actually a stance adopted by the open source software zealots who
    > refuse to develop stuff unless they can release the source code,
    > including the stuff released to them under an NDA.

    In other words Patrick, you think their morals should be flexible enough
    for them to go completely against what they believe in.

    Like yours are.

    It's interesting that a Christian is so anti open source as you are, given
    that it is a system of giving to help others. Or let me re-state that: it's
    not surprising actually.

    --

    .... Brendan

    REPORTER, n. A writer who guesses his way to the truth and dispels it with a tempest of words. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/07/2004 10:53:31 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 17, 2004
  12. Unknown

    Unknown Guest

    thanks.

    I've decided to follow your advice and get a seperate
    video card as my linux knowledge is fairly basic.

    cheers,
    Ron

    Unknown, Jul 17, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >THat is actually a stance adopted by the open source software zealots who
    >refuse to develop stuff unless they can release the source code,
    >including the stuff released to them under an NDA.

    There is also the issue that they may be building their work on top of
    existing code that was already released under the GPL, so they don't
    have any choice.

    Standing on the shoulders of giants, and all that...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2004