    and the other with 7cd's, Which one I should go for?
    Thanks for your help

    Ed
    Ed..., Aug 26, 2003

  2. Ed...

    T.N.O Guest

    "Ed..." wrote
    > Thanks for that great info. On which flavour would you recommend though -
    > like RedHat, Mandrake etc....

    If all your looking for is a firewall/proxy then Redhat and Mandrake are
    more than you require.

    IPcop or Smoothwall are great at this sort of thing.

    If you really must choose one of the others, maybe Mandrake if this is your
    first go with Linux, although both are equally Friendly to n00bs :)
    T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Ed...

    Ed... Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > "Ed..." <> wrote in message
    > > Hello everyone,
    > > I like to install\test\play with Linux in my home network before

    > introducing
    > > this to my friends internet café. Having security in mind which flavour
    > > would you recommend to use as server\proxy\firewall and gateway for a

    > small
    > > network.
    > >
    > > I checked on Trademe site to buy a set of Linux CDs but got confused. I

    > was
    > > thinking to bid for Redhat 9 cd's but there were two sets - one of 4

    cd's

    Ed..., Aug 26, 2003
  4. Ed...

    Ed... Guest

    Ok... being the first time user I will go for Mandrake9.1, but which set do
    I go for - 4 cds or 6 cds. What is the deference?

    Thanks for all your help
    Ed

    Ed..., Aug 26, 2003
  5. Ed...

    Ed... Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message

    > "Ed..." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Ed..." <> wrote in message
    > > > introducing

    > flavour

    > > > small

    confused.
    > > > was

    > > cd's

    > > > For something like this, ipcop would be ideal.
    > > >
    > > > Firewall, dhcp, router in one. Easily installed and configured, and

    easy
    > > > maintain.
    > > >
    > > > www.ipcop.org
    > > >

    > > Thanks for that great info. On which flavour would you recommend

    though -
    > > like RedHat, Mandrake etc....
    > >

    > Ipcop is all in one os/firewall etc. Download, burn and install, dead

    easy.
    > The latest version is built on the 2.4 kernal.
    >
    > If you want to play around with linux per se, then the latest Mandrake

    seems
    > to have the easiest install options, though no doubt others have their own
    > favorite flavours.
    >
    > Check out the linux groups alt.os.linux etc.
    >
    > Rob.

    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have started downloading ipcop already. I hope to try this out tonight,
    But will be buying Mandrake to learn Linux properly.
    Cheers,
    Ed
    Ed..., Aug 26, 2003
  6. Ed...

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:43:33 +1200, Ed... wrote:

    > But will be buying Mandrake to learn Linux properly.

    People support Mandrake in one or both of two ways:

    1) Developing code, fixing bugs, writing doco etc

    2) Giving money

    Developers are fairly plentiful, but Mandrake can always benefit from the
    cash.

    Good on you - may your computing hours be fun and pain free.

    EB
    Evil Bastard, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Ed...

    T.N.O Guest

    "Ed..." wrote
    > Ok... being the first time user I will go for Mandrake9.1, but which set

    do
    > I go for - 4 cds or 6 cds. What is the deference?

    either, they will both have practically the same, I would assume that the 6
    cd set will have source CD's, which are handy if you want to tinker, but if
    it is for a firewall and proxy, chances are you will install, setup, and not
    touch it again(except for patches etc.)
    T.N.O, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Ed...

    Wilf Laurier Guest