Linux AnyConnect client ID to ASA server as win client?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jackhen, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. jackhen

    jackhen Guest

    Shot in the dark...

    I'm trying to migrate my work system a linux box. I'm 99.9% ready for
    a total migration, but the *one* thing blocking me is that my company
    hasn't enabled the linux client on the ASA host. (It's not for any
    particular security reason, I already talked with IT and they
    commented that the reason is that they don't want to be on the hook to
    support Linux).

    I installed the v2.2 of the AnyConnect webvpn software on my linux
    box, and I was able to install the client and go all the way through
    the client authentication process, but when I get to the step
    reporting that client is "confirming the client version", I finally
    get a message that the peer doesn't have the module enabled.

    So.... I'm desperately trying to avoid building a VMWare image with an
    XP image just to get VPN connectivity.

    Any ideas?
    jackhen, Oct 15, 2008

  2. jackhen

    Gary Guest

    jackhen wrote:
    > reporting that client is "confirming the client version", I finally
    > get a message that the peer doesn't have the module enabled.
    > So.... I'm desperately trying to avoid building a VMWare image with an
    > XP image just to get VPN connectivity.

    If they have IPsec enabled you could try the open source client, vpnc.
    http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/

    Packages are probably available from your distro maintainer and there are
    several GUI options available but the CLI verison with just fine as well.

    This is just a wild guess but perhaps there's an option in the source
    where it responds with a client name and version number. But I know nothing
    about the module you're referring to so it may not be possible. Your best
    bet is to try it first and then work with your IT staff if it still
    doesn't work.

    -Gary
    Gary, Oct 15, 2008