    Heh,cheap and easy full duplex wireless repeater.

    Now,who do I know with a 5.8ghz card,right google, need a PCI 5.8 card
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Jan 14, 2006

  2. grumpyoldhori

    CyiPherX Guest

    Yep Ubuntu picked up mine correctly straight out of the box, in windows
    i had to install drivers etc, (never again!).

    Windows is so far behind with out of the box hardware support, im sure
    Vista will catch up, but at the moment Linux has the lead in setting up
    hardware during install, without the user needing to supply drivers.

    CyiPherX

    CyiPherX, Jan 14, 2006

  3. grumpyoldhori

    aum Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:27:26 -0800, CyiPherX wrote:

    > Yep Ubuntu picked up mine correctly straight out of the box, in windows
    > i had to install drivers etc, (never again!).
    >
    > Windows is so far behind with out of the box hardware support, im sure
    > Vista will catch up, but at the moment Linux has the lead in setting up
    > hardware during install, without the user needing to supply drivers.
    >
    > CyiPherX

    Well, that's true in many cases for some of the consumer desktop linuxes.

    Other distros can drag you very quickly into:

    - the entrails of kernel configs/patches/rebuilds

    - cryptic manpages

    - even more cryptic config files with documentation that roars with
    laughter at your confusion (or even no doco at all)

    - schizoid source code that has to be hand-hacked into compiling and
    workng

    - dependency hell

    - forced upgrades to components like certain libraries, that breaks much
    of the other software on your system

    - obsolete HOWTOs promising crucial knowledge in web links that
    turn out to be broken

    - mailing list archives with crap search engines - IRC channels full of
    obnoxious geeks who ridicule your predicament

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  4. grumpyoldhori

    Gordon Guest

    FFS. Supply some facts.

    Gordon, Jan 15, 2006
  5. grumpyoldhori

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:07:14 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Damn,this Suse 10 is good on wireless cards,tried seven different types
    > including USB ones,recognised them all.
    >
    > Heh,cheap and easy full duplex wireless repeater.
    >
    > Now,who do I know with a 5.8ghz card,right google, need a PCI 5.8 card

    Ms, Penguin here.

    I get really pissed off when people raving about how good the Penguin is
    at networking. My ancestors, right from before any eggs were cracked, have
    been networking. We know how to do it without thinking about it.

    Been fishing latey mate?

    Gordon, Jan 15, 2006
  6. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    aum wrote:

    > Well, that's true in many cases for some of the consumer desktop linuxes.

    Yes.....Xandros is particularly good...and V4.0 is due out in a 3-4 months.

    > Other distros can drag you very quickly into:

    ....all manner of 'traditional' Linux challenges.

    Fine if you want them.....but - these days - avoidable if you don't.

    :)

    steve, Jan 15, 2006
  7. grumpyoldhori

    Steve Guest

    Give up it's just spam bait.

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > FFS. Supply some facts.

    [snip more FUD]

    Steve, Jan 15, 2006
  8. grumpyoldhori

    aum Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:36 +1300, Steve wrote:

    > Give up it's just spam bait.
    >
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> FFS. Supply some facts.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:
    >>

    > [snip more FUD]

    It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
    times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.

    All that said, I'm still a staunch linux user, since these hassles have
    all but gone away. Even with all this painful crap having happened on and
    off, the switch to Linux has been an overwhelming net positive for me.

    I'm still barely scratching the surface of Linux - I haven't written any
    kernel code, or put together a distro from scratch, or any other
    high-powered stuff, but I know how to do what I need
    most of the time, and google for what I don't know.

    I described one lot of pain on the Open Source side.
    It worries me that it's met with at least as much denial by Linux afficiandos as
    accounts of windoze brokenness, stupidity and insecurity meet with Redmond
    loyalists.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  9. grumpyoldhori

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:20:02 +1300, aum wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:36 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Give up it's just spam bait.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> FFS. Supply some facts.
    >>>
    >>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip more FUD]

    > It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
    > times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.

    Was true, IS FUD

    Steve, Jan 15, 2006
  10. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    aum wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:36 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Give up it's just spam bait.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> FFS. Supply some facts.
    >>>
    >>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip more FUD]

    > It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
    > times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.
    >
    > All that said, I'm still a staunch linux user, since these hassles have
    > all but gone away. Even with all this painful crap having happened on and
    > off, the switch to Linux has been an overwhelming net positive for me.
    >
    > I'm still barely scratching the surface of Linux - I haven't written any
    > kernel code, or put together a distro from scratch, or any other
    > high-powered stuff, but I know how to do what I need
    > most of the time, and google for what I don't know.
    >
    > I described one lot of pain on the Open Source side.
    > It worries me that it's met with at least as much denial by Linux afficiandos as
    > accounts of windoze brokenness, stupidity and insecurity meet with Redmond
    > loyalists.

    There there there
    You poor thing
    The big nasty linux bit you
    Nasty nasty linux
    <hits Linux>

    Better ?

    shannon, Jan 15, 2006
  11. grumpyoldhori

    aum Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:17:15 +1300, Steve wrote:

    >> It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
    >> times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.
    >>

    > Was true, IS FUD

    Farkenell!

    Were you an ostrich in a previous life?

    Or maybe an Egyptian farmer - spending your whole life in De Nile?

    Your denial of my experiences would be like me stubbornly insisting that
    your nose is located at the back of your neck - an embarrassing and
    ignorant position.

    WTF is wrong with you!?

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  12. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    aum wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:17:15 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >
    >>> It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
    >>> times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.
    >>>

    >> Was true, IS FUD

    > Farkenell!
    >
    > Were you an ostrich in a previous life?
    >
    > Or maybe an Egyptian farmer - spending your whole life in De Nile?
    >
    > Your denial of my experiences would be like me stubbornly insisting that
    > your nose is located at the back of your neck - an embarrassing and
    > ignorant position.
    >
    > WTF is wrong with you!?

    Oh how we feeeeeeeel your pain !!!!!

    shannon, Jan 15, 2006
  13. grumpyoldhori

    aum Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:43:49 +1300, shannon wrote:

    > There there there
    > You poor thing
    > The big nasty linux bit you
    > Nasty nasty linux
    > <hits Linux>
    >
    > Better ?

    Haha, fair nuff, but you're years late. Problem was that Windows destroyed
    a lot of my brain and it took a little while for it to regenerate.

    But think of it - Linux is intermittent with device support.

    Example - a Wacom graphics tablet. 3 minutes to set up in windows, 2 hours
    to set up in Linux.

    Windows setup - autorun a CD, click through a wizard, reboot, plug in the
    tablet.

    Linux setup - google, follow some inaccurate howtos, find
    better howtos, trawl through mailing lists, set kernel options and
    reboot, finally figure out the right lines to put into XF86Config-4.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  14. aum wrote:

    > Haha, fair nuff, but you're years late. Problem was that Windows destroyed
    > a lot of my brain and it took a little while for it to regenerate.
    >
    > But think of it - Linux is intermittent with device support.
    >
    > Example - a Wacom graphics tablet. 3 minutes to set up in windows, 2 hours
    > to set up in Linux.
    >
    > Windows setup - autorun a CD, click through a wizard, reboot, plug in the
    > tablet.
    >
    > Linux setup - google, follow some inaccurate howtos, find
    > better howtos, trawl through mailing lists, set kernel options and
    > reboot, finally figure out the right lines to put into XF86Config-4.
    >

    > Cheers
    > aum

    You are forgetting how pissed off that dear boy Gates is.
    Is not a little work on your side, worth it to keep him a
    trifle upset about we who have seen the light.
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Jan 15, 2006
  15. grumpyoldhori

    aum Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:13:18 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    >> Example - a Wacom graphics tablet. 3 minutes to set up in windows, 2 hours
    >> to set up in Linux.

    > You are forgetting how pissed off that dear boy Gates is.
    > Is not a little work on your side, worth it to keep him a
    > trifle upset about we who have seen the light.

    Yeh, too right, that's one of my strongest motivations for making the
    switch. Another is the complete openness, and how every aspect of the
    system can be modified to one's liking.

    But the point remains - while hardware manufacturers (with rare exceptions
    such as Nvidia) support Windows and not Linux, hardware setup in Linux can
    be an absolute pain at times.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  16. T'was the Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:53:56 +1300 when I remembered aum
    <> saying something like this:

    >Windows setup - autorun a CD, click through a wizard, reboot, plug in the
    >tablet.
    >
    >Linux setup - google, follow some inaccurate howtos, find
    >better howtos, trawl through mailing lists, set kernel options and
    >reboot, finally figure out the right lines to put into XF86Config-4.

    But Linux is free...
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 15, 2006
  17. grumpyoldhori

    aum Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:41:11 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:53:56 +1300 when I remembered aum
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Windows setup - autorun a CD, click through a wizard, reboot, plug in the
    >>tablet.
    >>
    >>Linux setup - google, follow some inaccurate howtos, find
    >>better howtos, trawl through mailing lists, set kernel options and
    >>reboot, finally figure out the right lines to put into XF86Config-4.

    > But Linux is free...

    In more ways than one :))

    And - the hardware setup nightmares are slowly going away as Linux evolves.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, Jan 15, 2006
  18. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    aum wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:43:49 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >
    >> There there there
    >> You poor thing
    >> The big nasty linux bit you
    >> Nasty nasty linux
    >> <hits Linux>
    >>
    >> Better ?

    > Haha, fair nuff, but you're years late. Problem was that Windows destroyed
    > a lot of my brain and it took a little while for it to regenerate.
    >
    > But think of it - Linux is intermittent with device support.
    >
    > Example - a Wacom graphics tablet. 3 minutes to set up in windows, 2 hours
    > to set up in Linux.
    >
    > Windows setup - autorun a CD, click through a wizard, reboot, plug in the
    > tablet.
    >
    > Linux setup - google, follow some inaccurate howtos, find
    > better howtos, trawl through mailing lists, set kernel options and
    > reboot, finally figure out the right lines to put into XF86Config-4.
    > .

    It only takes that time because you have to learn how from scratch
    Someone always has to do that, even if its the guy at Wacom who writes
    the wizard.
    If you do it with, say, Ubuntu, then post a howto to the Wiki you are
    following the same path as those who made other tasks trivial.

    Then you get a forum thread
    and a wiki entry
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WacomTabletIssue

    and the body of knowledge gets fine tuned.

    Ubuntu does this stuff really well and its not one of the commercial
    distros you were talking about, its a much better aggregator of user
    knowledge.

    shannon, Jan 15, 2006
  19. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    aum wrote:

    > But the point remains - while hardware manufacturers (with rare exceptions
    > such as Nvidia) support Windows and not Linux, hardware setup in Linux can
    > be an absolute pain at times.

    A lot of hardware manufacturers do provide spec information......and leave
    it to sopmeone else to write the Linux driver.

    As I saw in a recent doco, corporations are huge externalising machines -
    externalising any cost they can possibly get someone else to pay.

    But at least many do provide the means to develop a driver for their
    hardware - even if they aren't willing to do it and support it themselves.

    steve, Jan 15, 2006
  20. grumpyoldhori

    steve Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:53:56 +1300 when I remembered aum
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Windows setup - autorun a CD, click through a wizard, reboot, plug in the
    >>tablet.
    >>
    >>Linux setup - google, follow some inaccurate howtos, find
    >>better howtos, trawl through mailing lists, set kernel options and
    >>reboot, finally figure out the right lines to put into XF86Config-4.

    > But Linux is free...

    As in beer AND freedom. :)

    steve, Jan 15, 2006