    and listen. Get their drivers ready today, they are all set for
    longhorn (sorry little-horn as it's now becoming known, as more and more
    features fall by the wayside)
    Mark Gillespie, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Mark;
    The better weight would come from the people most likely buying the
    products.
    And that starts with people like you requesting the hardware manufacturers
    support their products.

    However if the product is more than 1-2 years old and no longer available,
    the manufacturers are less likely to invest time in a driver.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 20, 2005

  3. Don't forget, Mark, that Unix has a long history of interfacing
    with 64-bit machinery. Linux clearly has the edge on the PC
    market in this respect. As for weight, yes it is disappointing to
    see MS develop new technology and not making sure that the
    periferal market is educated in the process. But, other than that,
    the 'device independent' architecture of the OS relieves MS of
    the responsibility to actually seeing those devices brought to
    market. Education - yes! Weight - I dunno???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Well, compare migrating to Linux from Windows XP 32 Bit, I would say, you
    have better experience with migrating to x64 rather than Linux with existing
    applications such as maybe Office or Photoshop which don't run natively on
    Linux, Microsoft has taken care of a lot that through WOW64, plus the user
    is more comfortable and can adjust quicker, because it looks just like
    regular old XP, which means, lower cost of owner ship and less tranining for
    employees.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  5. ACTUALLY!!!! You are wrong... If you only need an "Office" PC, then you
    have OpenOffice, COUNTLESS 64-bit graphics editing tools, and not to mention
    SQL and other native 64-bit Database apps and servers in Linux. ALL which
    can use your original M$ Office 2003 or earlier files. No conversion
    needed. Simple and painless. The only thing you have to do is a little
    training in a new Desktop evironment which is more and more becoming
    familiar to office users.

    Draco Paladine, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > Well, compare migrating to Linux from Windows XP 32 Bit, I would say, you
    > have better experience with migrating to x64 rather than Linux with existing
    > applications such as maybe Office or Photoshop which don't run natively on
    > Linux, Microsoft has taken care of a lot that through WOW64, plus the user
    > is more comfortable and can adjust quicker, because it looks just like
    > regular old XP, which means, lower cost of owner ship and less tranining for
    > employees.

    Hmmm, someone's been on the Microsoft Marketing BS course....
    Mark Gillespie, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Yeah, it was fun and I learnt a lot, I learned not to be a zealot of any
    kind.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  8. Ok, I just spent $500 on Office 2003 and I'm going trade it out for Open
    Office? Hell NO! Thats like trading in your 2005 Mercedes for a 1977 Pinto.
    Countless 64-bit graphics editing tools? I only need one and its the best
    and its called Photoshop.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
    A Guy Called Tyketto, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Mark Gillespie

    M. Murcek Guest

    Right on, Andre, I'm with you - the "religionists" can get out of here and
    go to church. We got tech to do here! Linux weirdos "praying" to their
    "god." Just pathetic.

    M. Murcek, Jun 20, 2005
  11. I think its out of date now to be using the worshipping line when it comes
    using a particular technology, whether its from Apple, Microsoft or even
    Open Source. The technology religionists, were like circa 2002, we are in
    2005 now, its time to move on.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  12. Who said I still want to use it? I'm just ok with Photoshop 7 and its all
    I'll ever need. The people who used GIMP for Shrek were probably using a
    suped up version compiled by in house developers.
    --

    "A Guy Called Tyketto" <> wrote in message
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  13. The real religionists were back in the 80's preaching the C64, Atari ST,
    Amiga, 128k Mac, and so on. Those were the days! (I sold Amigas and was
    right in the middle of all the fun!)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Jhcm5ob3JzdA==?=, Jul 1, 2005
  14. Mark Gillespie

    Intel_Fan Guest

    ohh, I remember saving my allowance for a Timex Sinclair kit and years later
    drooling over the first Amigas with 1MB of 32bit memory.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 1, 2005
  15. Mark Gillespie

    M. Murcek Guest

    Boy, would I love having an Atari 68000 box (ST or TT) just for fun!

    M. Murcek, Jul 1, 2005
  16. Mark Gillespie

    warpsix Guest

    christmas morning and opening a Texas instrument TI 99/4a with 16k of
    memory , built in sound and like today the storage device that could
    also play music (cassette tape)

    warpsix, Jul 2, 2005
  17. At one time I had both a 520ST and a 1040ST. Didn't much like GEOS,
    though.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2005
  18. Mark Gillespie wrote:

    > Seems tables are turned somewhat in the 64bit arena, Linux has
    > historically sucked when it came to driver support in the 32 bit arena,
    > but my experience, 64bit has excellent driver support, far better than
    > 64bit Windows...

    Yes, I have noticed that, too. But I think the difference has little to
    do with Linux vs. Windows, and more with whether the drivers are
    maintained with the OS or by the manufacturer.

    Since few manufacturer produce Linux drivers, most Linux drivers are
    written by the Linux developers. Obviously these drivers have been used
    on 64bit platform for quite a while (Sparc v9, G5, Alpha), and the port
    to AMD64 was rather easy.

    Most Windows drivers on the other hand are developed by the
    manufacturers, and they were probably only released for x86. So the step
    to AMD64 is a difficult one, plus there is the communication overhead
    between MS and the manufacturer.

    Of course it doesn't help either that most Windows drivers are closed
    source. The closed source drivers for Linux are still a shady area:
    graphics drivers work mostly, but working WLAN etc drivers are rare.

    > Come on Microsoft need to use your weight to make manufacturers wake up
    > and listen. Get their drivers ready today, they are all set for
    > longhorn (sorry little-horn as it's now becoming known, as more and more
    > features fall by the wayside)

    I agree. Why didn't they make a certification program? "Designed for
    Windows Longhorn" could be reserved for hardware that has 64bit drivers.
    And suddenly everybody would be busy writing 64bit drivers :)

    Or maybe Microsoft takes my viewpoint: 64bit is nice to have, but it is
    by no means essential (at least on the Desktop).

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jul 2, 2005