    how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Steve B., Jan 16, 2005

  2. Steve B.

    WormWood Guest

    "Steve B." <> wrote in message
    news:EanGd.11607$...
    > how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    > Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=webcam+linux-mandrake&btnG=Search>

    http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/

    same link, shortened
    http://tinylink.com/?zLguFvOz8m

    I can't answer the question but here's something to play with while
    you're waiting. Lots of good downloads here.

    WormWood, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Steve B.

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:44:03 -0500, Steve B. wrote:

    >how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    >Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.

    You could mention the camera model / ethernet or usb connected?

    newsgroup - alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Ever thought of trying -
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mandrake webcam
    or
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mandrake 10.1 webcam

    Mandrake Cam
    .... VisionGS. It runs on Win32 platforms, and is pretty decent as far as
    webcam
    applications go. It's ... last updated. Mandrake At Home, ...
    http://mandrake.net/personal/webcam.shtml - 18k - 14 Jan 2005 - Cached -
    Similar pages

    MandrakeUsers.org > Rate the new Mandrake 10.1 CE
    .... in 10.1ce you still have to fiddle if you have a usb webcam with mic
    and a pci
    soundcard.. Overall, anyone who has some experience with Linux /
    Mandrake should ...
    http://mandrakeusers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t19389.html - 18k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    For any Linux related stuff it's worth looking for a HOWTO
    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux webcam howto

    Linux.com - The Webcam HOWTO
    .... The Webcam HOWTO. ... Used in this Document 2. Enabling Support for
    Your (Webcam) Hardware
    in Linux 2.1. ... Specific Webcam Models 3. Accessing the Video Device
    3.1. ...
    www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/index.shtml - 18k - 14 Jan 2005 -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Linux.com - Specific Webcam Models
    ... The Webcam HOWTO. ... The Linux-USB Device Overview site is a
    great place to look if ... The
    information compiled below on specific webcam models is from the
    same source ...
    www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/devices.shtml - 25k - Cached -
    Similar pages
    [ More results from www.linux.com ]

    Me

    why?, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Steve B.

    JPB Guest

    Steve B. wrote:

    > how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    > Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Think it's likely to depend very much on your particular webcam. It's one
    thing I haven't got working under Linux as yet, and although it's not
    something I use, SWMBO likes her webcam occasionally so I have her boot
    into Windows when she wants it.

    It's a minor hassle, I suppose, but she uses Yahoo! Messenger, either with
    Kopete or with the actual Messenger client for Linux provided by Yahoo, and
    AFAIK those don't support webcams as yet either (please correct if I'm
    wrong, anyone!), so I'm not worrying too much about it for the present.

    I expect that as has happened with other classes of hardware, as time passes
    and Linux becomes more popular, then the demand will exist for webcams to
    become better supported. Quite a few webcams can be supported already,
    allegedly, and no doubt as with softmodems at some point manufacturers may
    start providing drivers as well.

    For applications that can make use of the cam, GnomeMeeting I believe can do
    so, and there's another one called CamStream, though I haven't tried that
    at all.

    --
    JPB

    JPB, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    why? wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:44:03 -0500, Steve B. wrote:
    >
    >>how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    >>Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.

    > You could mention the camera model / ethernet or usb connected?

    Sorry, It is a Logitec Quickcam Messenger, USB.

    Thanks alot.

    Steve.

    Steve B., Jan 17, 2005
  6. Steve B.

    edard Guest

    Steve B. wrote:

    > how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    > Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try posting in alt.os.linux.mandrake ...lots of good help there.
    HTH

    edard, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Steve B.

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:23:24 -0500, Steve B. wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >

    >> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:44:03 -0500, Steve B. wrote:
    >>
    >>>how can i get a webcam to work under Mandrake 10.1.
    >>>Any help or links to software would be greatly appreciated.

    >> You could mention the camera model / ethernet or usb connected?
    >>

    >Sorry, It is a Logitec Quickcam Messenger, USB.
    >
    >Thanks alot.

    You will need to try the suggestions already given for that one.

    Me

    why?, Jan 17, 2005