Linux and RAW file format conversions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by m II, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. m II

    m II Guest

    I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:

    http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/

    It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax

    It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating
    systems (at a cost).

    From the web page:
    # Canon
    EOS 1D, EOS 1D Mark II, EOS 1D Mark II N, EOS 1Ds, EOS 1Ds Mark II,
    EOS 5D, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 30D, EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS Digital Rebel
    (300D, KISS Digital N), EOS Digital Rebel XT (350D), EOS Digital Rebel
    XTi (400D), EOS Kiss Digital Powershot G2, Powershot G3, Powershot G5,
    Powershot G6, Powershot S30, Powershot S40, Powershot S50, Powershot S60
    # Fuji
    Finepix E550, Finepix E900, Finepix F700, Finepix F710, Finepix S20
    Pro, Finepix S3 Pro, Finepix S5000, Finepix S5100, Finepix S5200,
    Finepix S5600, Finepix S7000, Finepix S9000/S9500, Finepix S2 Pro
    # Kodak
    DCS Pro 14N, DCS Pro SLR-C, DCS Pro SLR-N, P850, P880, Pro Back
    # Leica
    AG M8 Digital, AG R9 Digital Back DMR, D-Lux 2, Digilux 2, Digilux 3
    # Minolta
    Alpha-7 Digital, Dimage A1, Dimage A2, Dimage A200, Dimage 5,
    Dimage 7, Dimage 7 HI, Dynax 5D, Dynax 7D, Maxxum 7D
    # Nikon
    D1H, D1X, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D50, D70, D70s, D80, D100, D200
    E5400, E8400, E8700, E8800
    # Olympus
    C-5050Z, C-5060WZ, C-70Z, C-7000Z, C-7070WZ, C-8080WZ, E-1, E-10,
    E-20, E-20N, E-20P, E-300, E-330, E-500, SP-350, SP-500UZ
    # Panasonic
    DMC-FZ30, DMC-FZ50, DMC-LC1, DMC-LX1, DMC-LX2, DMC-L1
    # Pentax
    K10D, K100D, *ist D, *ist DL, *ist DS
    # Sony
    DSC R1, DSLR A100

    mike

    m II, Feb 3, 2007

  2. On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 07:07:33 +0000, m II wrote:

    > I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:
    > http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/
    > It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax
    > It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating
    > systems (at a cost).

    It is called lightZone. It is not just a raw file converter but also works
    as an image editor. It is very much different from other image editors in
    the sense that it works by zone system. Each zone of brightness can be
    manipulated independently, a very sophisticated combination of levels &
    curvs for other image editors. However, other image editing facilities are
    quite rudimentary and there are few controls during raw file conversion. I
    tried it but was not very impressed overall. For me Ufraw still remains
    the best raw file converter for Linux.

    --
    gautam

    Gautam Majumdar, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Gautam Majumdar <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 07:07:33 +0000, m II wrote:
    >
    >> I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:
    >> http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/
    >> It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax
    >> It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating
    >> systems (at a cost).
    >>

    >It is called lightZone. It is not just a raw file converter but also works

    The RAW converter in lightZone is dcraw (from Dave Coffin),
    which is of course the exact same RAW converter used by UFRAW,
    except of course UFRAW uses a built in copy of dcraw and allows
    significant image manipulation during the conversion process.

    >as an image editor. It is very much different from other image editors in
    >the sense that it works by zone system. Each zone of brightness can be
    >manipulated independently, a very sophisticated combination of levels &
    >curvs for other image editors. However, other image editing facilities are
    >quite rudimentary and there are few controls during raw file conversion. I
    >tried it but was not very impressed overall. For me Ufraw still remains
    >the best raw file converter for Linux.

    It is interesting, but I see absolutely no reason to change from
    using UFRAW and The GIMP.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 3, 2007
  4. m II

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 07:07:33 +0000, m II wrote:

    > I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:
    >
    > http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/
    >
    > It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax
    >
    > It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating
    > systems (at a cost).

    LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read and
    decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most definitely
    worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also use dcraw by
    itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw files.

    ray, Feb 3, 2007
  5. m II

    G.T. Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 07:07:33 +0000, m II wrote:
    >
    >> I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:
    >>
    >> http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/
    >>
    >> It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax
    >>
    >> It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating
    >> systems (at a cost).
    >>

    > LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read and
    > decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most definitely
    > worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also use dcraw by
    > itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw files.

    Yeah, I've been digging ufraw recently and its ability to run from the GIMP.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

    G.T., Feb 3, 2007
  6. m II

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:31:55 -0800, G.T. wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 07:07:33 +0000, m II wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:
    >>>
    >>> http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/
    >>>
    >>> It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax
    >>>
    >>> It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating
    >>> systems (at a cost).
    >>>

    >> LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read and
    >> decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most definitely
    >> worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also use dcraw by
    >> itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw files.
    >>

    > Yeah, I've been digging ufraw recently and its ability to run from the GIMP.
    >
    > Greg

    I'm still sorting things out, myself, but I'm impressed by the ability of
    dcraw standalone to do a batch conversion.

    ray, Feb 3, 2007
  7. ray <> wrote:

    >> Yeah, I've been digging ufraw recently and its ability to run from the GIMP.
    >>
    >> Greg

    >I'm still sorting things out, myself, but I'm impressed by the ability of
    >dcraw standalone to do a batch conversion.

    UFRAW also does batch conversions, and because of all the facilities
    it provides, it is probably nicer than straight dcraw.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 3, 2007
  8. m II <> writes:

    > I was in need of a Pentax RAW file conversion utility and found it here:
    >
    > http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/
    >
    > It has the ability to read numerous camera RAW files, not just Pentax
    >
    > It's free for Linux and also available for those other two operating systems
    > (at a cost).

    Bibble (http://www.bibblelabs.com/) also offers an editing system that runs
    under Linux and supports many different RAW formwats. I don't know if dcraw is
    at the heart of the RAW converter or not. I rarely shoot raw, but I've gone
    back and forth between UFRAW (gimp plugin) or Bibblepro. Note, the Linux side
    of bibble is a little buggy, particularly if you use the Noise Ninja option,
    but if you are willing to try for-pay software, you might want to try out the
    free time-limited download.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 3, 2007
  9. m II

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:47:25 -0900, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > ray <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, I've been digging ufraw recently and its ability to run from the GIMP.
    >>>
    >>> Greg

    >>I'm still sorting things out, myself, but I'm impressed by the ability of
    >>dcraw standalone to do a batch conversion.

    > UFRAW also does batch conversions, and because of all the facilities
    > it provides, it is probably nicer than straight dcraw.

    That's not something I've seen yet with ufraw - could you explain how it
    works?

    ray, Feb 4, 2007
  10. ray <> wrote:

    >>>I'm still sorting things out, myself, but I'm impressed by the ability of
    >>>dcraw standalone to do a batch conversion.

    >> UFRAW also does batch conversions, and because of all the facilities
    >> it provides, it is probably nicer than straight dcraw.

    >That's not something I've seen yet with ufraw - could you explain how it
    >works?

    Along with /ufraw/ you get /ufraw-batch/, which runs as a
    non-GNU command line program, but is otherwise the same. An
    example of usage would be if you have a directory full of RAW
    files that can all be processed in virtually the same way...

    Run /ufraw/ on one RAW file. Along with other adjustments, when
    finished do a "save as" and set the options to save the ID file
    and/or to save image defaults.

    Saving the ID file produces a *.ufraw file with all of the
    options set, and "save defaults" will put them into ~/.ufrawrc.
    I haven't checked to see exactly what differences there are
    between the two files, so I'm not sure about what sort of minor
    variations there might be from using one instead of the other.

    But if /ufraw/ or /ufraw-batch/ is then executed, the defaults
    in ~/.ufrawrc will be applied. Or, either can be started with a
    command line option like this to override the draults and use an
    existing ID file:

    ufraw-batch --conf=d2x3251.ufraw *.nef

    Where "d2x3251.ufraw" is the existing ID file generated manually
    using the GUI invocation, and it is expected to process all
    "*.nef" files in that directory.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Feb 4, 2007
  11. ray <> writes:

    > > UFRAW also does batch conversions, and because of all the facilities
    > > it provides, it is probably nicer than straight dcraw.

    > That's not something I've seen yet with ufraw - could you explain how it
    > works?

    The ufraw man page and ufraw --help both mention the program
    ufraw-batch...

    ufraw-batch [OPTIONS] <rawfile(s)>

    The help output says:

    UFRaw first reads the setting from the resource file $HOME/.ufrawrc.
    Then, if an ID file is specified it setting are read. Next, the setting from
    the --conf option are taken, ignoring input/output filenames in the ID file.
    Lastly, the options from the command line are set. In batch mode, the second
    group of options is NOT read from the resource file.

    // marc

    Marco S Hyman, Feb 4, 2007
  12. Le Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:28:03 -0700,
    ray <> a écrit :

    > LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read
    > and decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most
    > definitely worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also
    > use dcraw by itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw
    > files.

    You forgot Raw Therapee :

    http://www.rawtherapee.com/

    Florent Gilles, Feb 9, 2007
  13. m II

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:45:25 +0100, Florent Gilles wrote:

    > Le Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:28:03 -0700,
    > ray <> a écrit :
    >
    >> LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read
    >> and decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most
    >> definitely worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also
    >> use dcraw by itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw
    >> files.

    > You forgot Raw Therapee :
    >
    > http://www.rawtherapee.com/

    I didn't forget it, I never heard of it. Will check it out. What might
    it's main features be?

    ray, Feb 10, 2007
  14. m II

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:10:36 -0700, ray <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:45:25 +0100, Florent Gilles wrote:
    >
    >> Le Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:28:03 -0700,
    >> ray <> a écrit :
    >>
    >>> LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read
    >>> and decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most
    >>> definitely worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also
    >>> use dcraw by itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw
    >>> files.

    >> You forgot Raw Therapee :
    >>
    >> http://www.rawtherapee.com/

    >I didn't forget it, I never heard of it. Will check it out. What might
    >it's main features be?

    Its incredibly slow speed. Unusably slow IMO, which is a
    shame because it's quite well featured otherwise.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Feb 10, 2007
  15. m II

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, John Bean
    says...

    > >> You forgot Raw Therapee :
    > >>
    > >> http://www.rawtherapee.com/

    > >I didn't forget it, I never heard of it. Will check it out. What might
    > >it's main features be?

    > Its incredibly slow speed. Unusably slow IMO, which is a
    > shame because it's quite well featured otherwise.

    It looks like every time you move a slider and change a setting it
    recomputes completely the entire image (demosaicing, colour correction,
    noise filtering, sharpening etc.), which takes approx. 10 seconds on my
    computer.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 10, 2007