    2) How exactly do I mount this device, commands, modules, etc.?

    I appreciate any help/suggestion.

    , Jul 23, 2003

  2. Ronald Hands Guest

    wrote:

    > To make a long story short, I want to connect an USB CF card reader
    > to a linux box running kernel 2.2.

    I have a SanDisk SDDR-75 USB card reader. It was found
    automatically by the hardware probe in RH 8.0 (kernel 2.4.x) and an
    entry for it appeared in fstab. No software changes needed.

    -- Ron
    Hamilton, ON

    Ronald Hands, Jul 23, 2003

  3. On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:25:41 -0400, 72604301 wrote:

    > I am sort of new to flashcard technology and I need to get thing
    > up and running quickly, I'd really appreciate if someone
    > can give me simple straight answers so I can get thing setup,
    > I'll read more in the future when I have time.
    >
    > To make a long story short, I want to connect an USB CF card reader
    > to a linux box running kernel 2.2. My questions are:
    > 1) Which particular hardware should I buy? If you can just name a specific
    > brands and models, that would be great.

    Sandisk readers are mostly supported. I have an SDDR-31 that works fine.
    In general, anything that adheres to the USB mass storage spec should
    work. If the device advertises "driverless" operation on Win2k/XP then you
    should be OK. If in doubt check the store's return policy before buying. I
    sometimes do this - if it doesn't work, it goes back.

    > 2) How exactly do I mount this device, commands, modules, etc.?

    You need a kernel with USB, USB mass storage, and SCSI support either
    modular or built in. Then, it just appears as a SCSI disk. To mount mine,
    I just do:-

    mount -t vfat /dev/sde1 /mnt/cf

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Jul 23, 2003
  4. writes:

    > I am sort of new to flashcard technology and I need to get thing
    > up and running quickly, I'd really appreciate if someone
    > can give me simple straight answers so I can get thing setup,
    > I'll read more in the future when I have time.
    >
    > To make a long story short, I want to connect an USB CF card reader
    > to a linux box running kernel 2.2. My questions are:
    > 1) Which particular hardware should I buy? If you can just name a specific
    > brands and models, that would be great.
    > 2) How exactly do I mount this device, commands, modules, etc.?
    >
    > I appreciate any help/suggestion.

    You need to rev up to the 2.4 series of kernels, since USB mass storage was not
    added until then. If you have no scsi disks in your system, the USB drive will
    be /dev/sda (ie, first scsi disk), there is only one partition, and all cameras
    use the FAT16 or FAT32. To mount it as /mnt/camera you would do as root:

    # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

    and then to unmount it do:

    # umount /mnt/camera

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message <>,
    wrote.

    [...]
    >To make a long story short, I want to connect an USB CF card reader
    >to a linux box running kernel 2.2. My questions are:
    >1) Which particular hardware should I buy? If you can just name a specific
    > brands and models, that would be great.

    [...]

    I can't help you by recommending a particular USB CF-reader that works
    under Linux, I'm afraid. But I'd steer clear of the Belkin USB CF-reader
    if I were you, I've been trying to install one of these under MDK 9.1 (a
    2.4 kernel) for weeks now, without success.

    I'm not sure, but it might be the case that whatever USB CF-reader you
    buy, you'll need a 2.4 kernel (which I believe has better support for
    USB mass-storage devices).

    You need to know that I'm not an expert <g>.

    Regards,
    Nick.
    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton