Linux and Canon Camera Users - "s10sh" Utility Update!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug Mitton, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Doug Mitton

    Doug Mitton Guest

    I have made a few changes to the "s10sh" utility for Linux. This
    allows command line access to a variety of Canon cameras. It is based
    on the gphoto2 library and is originally from
    http://www.reynoldsnet.org/s10sh/

    I uploaded it to both:
    http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php

    This is from the readme file:
    s10sh - V0.2.2A 041219 release!

    WARNING: These changes work just fine on my Canon Digital Rebel and I
    take no responsibilty for how they may work on your camera. Use with
    caution as I have not tested them on a variety of equipment.

    Purely for my own strange reason I updated this utility to do the
    following additional functions. These changes ONLY work in USB mode
    as thats what I had to work with. Also, I renamed the original files
    to a ".0" suffix before I updated them with my changes so reverting
    back to the original version is pretty simple.

    - Added Canon Digital Rebel camera and USB mode as the default.
    - Added "owner" string to the 'id' display.
    - Added 'setowner' command.
    - Added "Body ID" field to 'id' command.
    - Added 'settime' command and a command line '-t' option.
    - This sets the camera time from the host computer.
    - Added a 'user_init' variable and a command line '-i level' option.
    - Added a demo '-i 1' option which:
    - sets the initial 'cd' to "C:\DCIM\xxxCANON\" where xxx is the
    latest directory.
    - checks the camera time and if it is more than 8-10 min different
    from computer fixes it.
    - only one init level is available at a time.
    - Added 'capture' command and command line '-c' option.
    - Takes a picture with the current camera settings and displays the
    new image name.

    Proposed Updates:
    - Allow multiple user_init options to be selected.
    - Allow multiple "capture" images with variable interval, command line
    too.
    - Allow capture to immediately download/display image/thumbnail.
    - Allow camera configuration changes, ie. LCD display time, mode, etc.

    Note(s):
    If you get an error like this:
    usb 1-1: bulk timeout on ep1in
    usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x81 len 156 ret -110
    during the 'capture' command it just means that the camera is taking
    longer than I anticipated to save the picture before 's10sh' tries to
    re-connect to the camera. It is actually a kernel message and I don't
    seem to be able to block it in 's10sh'. You can hide it by increasing
    the timer value in "usb.c" "USB_control_camera()" function. I didn't
    make it a variable, its hard coded. Everything will still work just
    fine, its just the display thats getting a little cluttered.

    Also, there has been a report on yahoogroups that the Canon 20D isn't
    working with the original version of "s10sh". Has anyone else any
    experience with this combination?

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
    Doug Mitton, Dec 20, 2004