Linux and Canon Camera Users - "s10sh" Utility Update (V0.2.2B)!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug Mitton, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Doug Mitton

    Doug Mitton Guest

    I have made a few changes to the "s10sh" utility for Linux. This
    allows command line access to a variety of Canon cameras. It is based
    on the gphoto2 library and is originally from
    http://www.reynoldsnet.org/s10sh/

    I uploaded it to both:
    http://www.syeager.org/300d/forum/index.php

    This is from the readme file:
    s10sh - V0.2.2B 050328 release!

    Read and understand the WARNING please! This release may be a little
    more dangerous as I am adding an "auto detect" command line option for
    those who want to try the utility but may not be up to making the C
    code changes required. I will also add whichever new cameras I
    receive in the interim, though I cannot verify their functionality.

    - Removed the "auto user_init 1" from the 300D initialization ...
    thats my default.
    - Add a "-S" mode to set SERIAL mode.
    - Serial used to be the default BUT I made USB the default ...
    and no way to select serial.
    - Add an "autodetect" '-Z' option along with LOTS of warnings.
    - Add the Canon EOS-20D (04A9/30EB); this one probably does not work.
    - Add the Canon PowerShot A75 (04A9/30B5), because my daughter got
    one.
    - Fixed the "id/setowner" display as this model doesn't have a
    "Bid"!
    - Fixed a CAPTURE display bug if you are not in the current photo
    directory when issued.

    s10sh - V0.2.2A 041219 release!

    WARNING: These changes work just fine on my Canon Digital Rebel and I
    take no responsibilty for how they may work on your camera. Use with
    caution as I have not tested them on a variety of equipment.

    Purely for my own strange reason I updated this utility to do the
    following additional functions. These changes ONLY work in USB mode
    as thats what I had to work with. Also,I renamed the original files
    to a ".0" suffix before I updated them with my changes so reverting
    back to the original version is pretty simple.

    - Added Canon Digital Rebel camera and USB mode as the default.
    - Added "owner" string to the 'id' display.
    - Added 'setowner' command.
    - Added "Body ID" field to 'id' command.
    - Added 'settime' command and a command line '-t' option.
    - This sets the camera time from the host computer.
    - Added a 'user_init' variable and a command line '-i level' option.
    - Added a demo '-i 1' option which:
    - sets the initial 'cd' to "C:\DCIM\xxxCANON\" where xxx is the
    latest directory.
    - checks the camera time and if it is more than 8-10 min different
    from computer fixes it.
    - only one init level is available at a time.
    - Added 'capture' command and command line '-c' option.
    - Takes a picture with the current camera settings and displays the
    new image name.
    - If UNKNOWN is displayed instead of the captured file name then you
    must cd to the current photo directory either manually or using
    one of the "user_init" options.
    - ie. "s10sh -i 1"

    Proposed Updates:
    - Allow multiple user_init options to be selected.
    - Allow multiple "capture" images with variable interval, command line
    too.
    - Allow capture to immediately download/display image/thumbnail.
    - Allow camera configuration changes, ie. LCD display time, mode, etc.

    Note(s):
    If you get an error like this:
    usb 1-1: bulk timeout on ep1in
    usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x81 len 156 ret -110
    during the 'capture' command it just means that the camera is taking
    longer than I anticipated to save the picture before 's10sh' tries to
    re-connect to the camera. It is actually a kernel message and I don't
    seem to be able to block it in 's10sh'. You can hide it by increasing
    the timer value in "usb.c" "USB_control_camera()" function. I didn't
    make it a variable, its hard coded. Everything will still work just
    fine, its just the display thats getting a little cluttered.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
    Doug Mitton, Mar 28, 2005