Linux 2009: "bloated, huge, and scary"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
    "community":

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832

    "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention that
    Linux has become bloated....

    "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating system
    have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course of
    business to add features?

    "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his bloat
    warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
    actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things: It's
    hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."

    And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:

    "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

    impossible, Sep 25, 2009

  2. impossible

    thingy Guest

    Re: Linux 2009: "bloated, huge, and scary"

    On Sep 25, 11:38 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
    > "community":
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
    >
    > "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention that
    > Linux has become bloated....
    >
    > "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating system
    > have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course of
    > business to add features?
    >
    > "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his bloat
    > warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
    > actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things: It's
    > hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
    >
    > And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
    >
    > "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

    God you are a moron...

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 26, 2009

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 25, 11:38 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > > Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
    > >"community":
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
    >>
    >> "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention
    >> that
    >> Linux has become bloated....
    >>
    >> "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating
    >> system
    >> have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course
    >> of
    >> business to add features?
    >>
    >> "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his
    >> bloat
    >> warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
    >> actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things:
    >> It's
    >> hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
    >>
    >> And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
    >>
    >> "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

    > God you are a moron...

    Another penetrating analysis brought to you by thing-thingy-thing2. <yawn>

    impossible, Sep 26, 2009
  4. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-25, impossible <> wrote:
    > Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
    > "community":
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
    >
    > "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention that
    > Linux has become bloated....
    >
    > "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating system
    > have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course of
    > business to add features?
    >
    > "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his bloat
    > warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
    > actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things: It's
    > hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
    >
    > And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
    >
    > "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"

    FFS, Linux is like life on this Planet. It is varied. Bloated you say. I say
    grab what source you require and build what you *need/want*.

    Gordon, Sep 26, 2009
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-09-25, impossible <> wrote:
    >> Spinning bloat into "features" isn't winning RedHat any friends in the
    >> "community":
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=24832
    >>
    >> "Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst disagreed with Linus Torvalds' contention
    >> that
    >> Linux has become bloated....
    >>
    >> "So who's right here? Whitehurst has a point. Won't every operating
    >> system
    >> have virtualization capabilities layered in? Isn't it the normal course
    >> of
    >> business to add features?
    >>
    >> "However, Torvalds may be onto something too. He may be early with his
    >> bloat
    >> warning, but at some point Linux will have more features than people
    >> actually want. Bloated operating systems are like a lot of other things:
    >> It's
    >> hard to find the tipping point, but you know bloat when you see it."
    >>
    >> And results are in now from a straw poll of blog readers:
    >>
    >> "Linus Torvalds is right. It's bloated, huge, and scary"
    >>

    > FFS, Linux is like life on this Planet. It is varied. Bloated you say. I
    > say
    > grab what source you require and build what you *need/want*.

    Circle ther wagons, fanboys. Critical comments from Linus Torvald are
    dangerous to your health.

    impossible, Sep 26, 2009
  6. impossible

    impossible Guest