Linspire Gives Away Free Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    Jasp Guest

    Get it quick!

    Jasp, Sep 6, 2005

  3. "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Linspire is giving away its $50 Linspire through Sept. 6, the San
    > Diego-based company said Thursday after an independent developer changed
    > the name of his "Freespire" project."

    Someone wants me to pay $50 for his interpretation of a free Linux distro
    (that can't be downloaded)

    Haven't laughed so hard since I was told that the super-secure German SUSE
    distro isn't from Utah, and (by way of investment) quite possibly banned for
    sale in its former originating country.

    Not that it's a bad distro, of course - a trusted colleague swears by it.
    Although he /was/ kinda bemused to discover that it wasn't actually from
    "Urup". Just like I was bemused to discover that the (USAian) RHN was a big
    steaming pile of surplus bovine "product". Just goes to show.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    Vanguard Guest

    "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > "Linspire is giving away its $50 Linspire through Sept. 6, the San
    > Diego-based company said Thursday after an independent developer
    > changed
    > the name of his "Freespire" project."
    >
    > Linsire Web Site: http://linspire.com/
    >
    > Story:
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20050902/tc_cmp/170102639
    >
    > Imhotep

    From http://freespire.jasp.com/:

    "freespire" was the term I gave to a private project I had been working
    on. The project was comprised of various open source components, taken
    from the freely available source repository for the Linspire operating
    system. Somehow my project got submitted to distrowatch.com as a
    bona-fide Linux distribution. I can only assume whoever did this had
    good intentions, unfortunately it was done without my consent.
    Subsequent widespread distribution of this project has led to much
    misunderstanding, based largely on the name. So to make it clear:
    This project is not a free version of the Linspire operating system and
    is not made by Linspire Inc."

    That last part was in big font and red to make sure that the reader
    understood what was *his* project and that it was not Linspire. Then he
    adds:

    "To help alleviate any confusion, I contacted Linspire and they made an
    extremely generous offer to us all. They want everyone who has been
    following my project to experience "the real" Linspire, FOR FREE!!! For
    a limited time, they are making available a coupon code called
    "FREESPIRE" that will give you a free digital copy of Linspire! Please
    visit http://linspire.com/freespire for details."

    Their servers have been so busy that it is likely that this "accidental
    throttling" will limit how many users actually get a free copy. Good
    luck at the Linspire lottery.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

    Vanguard, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Imhotep

    hatschi Guest

    hatschi, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    hatschi wrote:

    > http://www.linspiresucks.org and
    > http://www.linspiresucks.com are still available....
    >
    > Imhotep schrieb:
    >> "Linspire is giving away its $50 Linspire through Sept. 6, the San
    >> Diego-based company said Thursday after an independent developer changed
    >> the name of his "Freespire" project."
    >>
    >> Linsire Web Site: http://linspire.com/
    >>
    >> Story:
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20050902/tc_cmp/170102639
    >>
    >> Imhotep

    Honestly, I have never used Linspire. However, if you think that it is not
    good please list the reasons why in a logical and reasonable fashion...

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Imhotep wrote:

    >Honestly, I have never used Linspire. However, if you think that it is not
    >good please list the reasons why in a logical and reasonable fashion...

    I've been an "Insider" with Lindows/Linspire since it's inception.
    IMHO, it's primary objective is to make a very user-friendly Linux
    distribution for the masses, and I think it's done a great job at it.

    Micheal Robert Zium, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Micheal Robert Zium wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >
    >>Honestly, I have never used Linspire. However, if you think that it is not
    >>good please list the reasons why in a logical and reasonable fashion...

    > I've been an "Insider" with Lindows/Linspire since it's inception.
    > IMHO, it's primary objective is to make a very user-friendly Linux
    > distribution for the masses, and I think it's done a great job at it.

    I have heard very good things about it. I have been meaning to take a peak
    for sometime...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Guest

    Linspire FIve-0 is all I now run on my laptop.Want an IRC client? Best
    one IMHO is KSIRC. Want a web browser? It's default web browser is
    Mozilla (as Linspire Internet Suite), but you can use CNR to download
    and install Mozilla Firefox and Opera. Want a good music library
    program? You get that with LSongs. Want photo editing software? GIMP.
    Want an easy (and now even more affordable) way to download and install
    programs with one mouse click? Linspire now offers CNR Basic for $19.95
    (the old $49.95 CNR is now called CNR Gold). My internal WLAN was
    automatically set up by Linspire. I can even use a serial-to-usb cable
    to use my Zoom 3048 serial modem with Linspire Five-0.

    , Sep 7, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    wrote:

    > Linspire FIve-0 is all I now run on my laptop.Want an IRC client? Best
    > one IMHO is KSIRC. Want a web browser? It's default web browser is
    > Mozilla (as Linspire Internet Suite), but you can use CNR to download
    > and install Mozilla Firefox and Opera. Want a good music library
    > program? You get that with LSongs. Want photo editing software? GIMP.
    > Want an easy (and now even more affordable) way to download and install
    > programs with one mouse click? Linspire now offers CNR Basic for $19.95
    > (the old $49.95 CNR is now called CNR Gold). My internal WLAN was
    > automatically set up by Linspire. I can even use a serial-to-usb cable
    > to use my Zoom 3048 serial modem with Linspire Five-0.

    Cool...I will definitely check it out soon....

    :)
    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Guest

    BTW, the serial-to-usb cable I use with my Zoom 3048 56k serial modem
    is an IOGear GUC232A. I bought my cable on Amazon for $19.95 (plus
    shipping).

    , Sep 8, 2005
  12. Imhotep

    hatschi Guest

    > Honestly, I have never used Linspire. However, if you think that it is not
    > good please list the reasons why in a logical and reasonable fashion...
    >
    > Im

    There will always be people who buy stuff they could get somwhere else
    for free. Like the guys - you obviously don't like - buying stuff by
    microsoft.

    Anyway, why does this concerne security?

    hatschi, Sep 8, 2005
  13. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    hatschi wrote:

    >> Honestly, I have never used Linspire. However, if you think that it is
    >> not good please list the reasons why in a logical and reasonable
    >> fashion...
    >>
    >> Im

    > There will always be people who buy stuff they could get somwhere else
    > for free. Like the guys - you obviously don't like - buying stuff by
    > microsoft.
    >
    > Anyway, why does this concerne security?

    By providing options for people stuck in the Windows trap...

    Imhotep, Sep 8, 2005