    If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
    something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
    big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.
    David, Oct 29, 2004

  2. David

    Sooner Al Guest

    Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can easily discover a cloaked
    SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA with a very LONG
    RANDOM key...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Oct 29, 2004

  3. David

    David Guest

    "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message news:%...
    > Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can easily discover a cloaked
    > SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA with a very LONG
    > RANDOM key...

    I'm running WPA, and using MAC filtering. I don't like the idea of the SSID broadcast, but I
    guess I'll get over it.

    Thanks,
    David
    David, Oct 29, 2004
  4. David

    mikeBNF Guest

    xp will not like it, as al says, it's no better to cloak it anyway.
    enable only listed macs + WEP or WPA should suffice

    mike

    "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message
    > Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can

    easily discover a cloaked
    > SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better

    yet WPA with a very LONG
    > RANDOM key...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...

    rights...

    > > I''ve got a couple of XP machines, and linksys 802.11g router &

    adapters.
    > > I set SSID on PCs & router, but when I turn off SSID broadcast, the PCs
    > > no longer see the wireless network.
    > >
    > > I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem. What
    > > I couldn't determine from the stuff I read is if this was the fault of

    XP
    > > or of the Linksys adapters, or what. Would wireless adapters from
    > > another vendor work better? I have a Cisco 802.11b adapter that
    > > I will try to test later.
    > >
    > > If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
    > > something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
    > > big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

    ---
    mikeBNF, Oct 29, 2004
  5. David

    Pavel A. Guest