    transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
    The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files
    without a problem when I remove the router.

    Justin, Jun 25, 2010

  2. Justin

    chuckcar Guest

    Justin <> wrote in news:justin-
    :

    > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
    > a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
    > For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
    > filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
    > the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
    > don't tink it is a channel issue.
    > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
    > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
    > access to an ethernet port.
    > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
    > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
    > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files
    > without a problem when I remove the router.

    And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you in the
    same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless and uses
    microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 25, 2010

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    In article <Xns9DA2BE837CD73chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    > Justin <> wrote in news:justin-
    > :
    >
    > > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
    > > a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
    > > For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
    > > filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
    > > the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
    > > don't tink it is a channel issue.
    > > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
    > > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
    > > access to an ethernet port.
    > > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
    > > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
    > > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files
    > > without a problem when I remove the router.
    > >

    > And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you in the
    > same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless and uses
    > microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

    About 20 feet.
    I can connect to the source router/AP without the WRT from the same room
    perfectly.
    The whole building is wired for wifi so there are antennas all over the
    place.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  4. Justin

    Justin Guest

    In article <>,
    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    > Justin wrote:
    > > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to
    > > share
    > > a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
    > > For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
    > > filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube,
    > > skype)
    > > the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so
    > > don't tink it is a channel issue.
    > > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
    > > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
    > > access to an ethernet port.
    > > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
    > > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
    > > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge
    > > files
    > > without a problem when I remove the router.

    > Change the station preamble to "long only". And read this thread:
    > http://text.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12956291~mode=text~days=12
    > 0~start=100
    >
    > Discusses firmware problems with those units.

    Unfortunately I have a WTR54gs
    http://images.digitalmedianet.com/2006/Week_36/v5bnr960/story/linksys_2_s
    hot.jpg

    not a WRT54gs
    http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages/xl/LICWRT54GS-RM-PB-R.jpg

    There doesn't appear to be a preamble setting on my travel router.

    Justin, Jun 26, 2010
  5. Justin

    chuckcar Guest

    Justin <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns9DA2BE837CD73chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Justin <> wrote in news:justin-
    >> ple.c
    >> om:
    >>
    >> > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to
    >> > share a wireless connection to three other machines also using
    >> > 802.11g. For the most part it works, but if one of the shared
    >> > machines starts a filetransfer or something that takes alot of
    >> > bandwidth (youtube, skype) the internet connection quits. We still
    >> > have wireless connectivity so I don't tink it is a channel issue.
    >> > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
    >> > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
    >> > access to an ethernet port.
    >> > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
    >> > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
    >> > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge
    >> > files without a problem when I remove the router.
    >> >

    >> And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you
    >> in the same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless
    >> and uses microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

    > About 20 feet.
    > I can connect to the source router/AP without the WRT from the same
    > room perfectly.
    > The whole building is wired for wifi so there are antennas all over
    > the place.

    Um, WRT stands for With Respect To in internet lingo.

    Have you completely read the manual and used it to set the router up and
    are *positive* you've done so correctly?

    However it sounds on the surface that somewhere along the line either
    your laptop transciever or the routers' are possibly lower quality.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Justin

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:25:41 -0400, Justin ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
    > a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g. For
    > the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
    > filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
    > the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
    > don't tink it is a channel issue.
    > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference. Remember,
    > I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have access to an
    > ethernet port.
    > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
    > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK. The ISP is not
    > throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files without a
    > problem when I remove the router.

    Our router here at home is a WRT54GL and with certain wireless radios it
    will drop the signal under a high percentage of network utilization.
    Funny thing is the radio that drops the connection is a Linksys WR54G.
    The embedded Intel Calexico2 interface in this laptop running Mandriva
    linux however is rock solid as is the Broadcom radio in my Dell Mini
    netbook. Considering the environment as you described being saturated
    with other wifi signals I think your situation is to be expected.

    Meat Plow, Jun 26, 2010
  7. Justin

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-06-25, Justin <> wrote:
    > In article <Xns9DA2BE837CD73chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <>
    > wrote:

    [...]

    >> And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you in the
    >> same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless and uses
    >> microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

    > About 20 feet.
    > I can connect to the source router/AP without the WRT from the same room
    > perfectly.
    > The whole building is wired for wifi so there are antennas all over the
    > place.

    Do you mean that the "Linksys WTR54GS travel router" is in use as a
    'bridge' or 'repeater' to extend the range of a local network? Is the
    "travel router" connecting to the local network using its own wireless
    hardware, or in some other way - eg ethernet cable?

    The maximum theoretical bandwidth of an 802.11g access point is 54Mbps; in
    practice it can be a lot less than that. If the connection falls back to
    802.11b for any reason, the theoretical bandwidth drops to 11Mbps.

    If your "travel router" is connecting to the internet-connected router or
    'gateway' (your "source router"?) using its own wireless capacity, that
    will cap the collective flow of data for all devices accessing the "travel
    router" to whatever that single wireless connection can carry. If one
    device is soaking that capacity, there won't be any left for the other
    devices.

    If the "travel router" is connected to the "source router" using an
    ethernet cable, the collective flow of data for all devices connecting to
    it will (with any luck) be capped at 100Mbps.

    The hardware or firmware inside either router will also impose some
    restriction on how much 'bandwidth' is available simultaneously to
    multiple devices. The network adminstrator might have some control over
    that using 'Quality of Service' tools to limit what each local IP number
    or network interface MAC is permitted to do.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 26, 2010