    there a program to monitor connections to the router.

    Thanks

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Steve

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Today I set up my XP PC with a linksys WRT54gs router connected to optus
    > cable. Reason is to connect my laptop while anywhere in the house. All is
    > working good BUT (allways a but you say)
    >
    > Is there a way to share files or a printer via the WRT54gs using windows XP
    > ?

    The router provides the means but you must configure the O/S to share
    resources with other machines.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    > If I move into the above step I will need a higher level of security. Is
    > there a program to monitor connections to the router.

    There maybe (free) 3rd party firmware that you can install replacing the
    Linsksys firmware that will allow you to use the (free) Wallwatcher program.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Steve

    Mitch Guest

    In article <4396a501$0$6195$>, Steve
    <> wrote:

    > Is there a way to share files or a printer via the WRT54gs using windows XP
    > ?

    Yes; in your OS, it is called File Sharing and Printer Sharing.
    When you turn that on, and if all machines have the proper drivers for
    the devices, then you should see devices connected to just one machine
    available on all the others.

    > If I move into the above step I will need a higher level of security. Is
    > there a program to monitor connections to the router.

    No, you need higher security because you are using wireless. Unless you
    set up at least secure access, your laptop is quite open, too.

    You will also need it to secure the desktop computer, but since it will
    be on, you'll just need to give that computer the password, too.

    Mitch, Dec 7, 2005