Linksys WRT54GS Router with SPI Stateful Packet Inspection and Vonage

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by pattyjamas@gmail.com, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I read on the Vonage site that sometimes SPI (enabling the firewall -
    default) might cause dropouts and such.

    I have had dropouts and one way audio (person cannot hear me at times).
    My bandwidth seems great up and downstream, per my other posting.
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...st&q=pattyjamas&rnum=2&hl=en#f66ee145ce0bf741

    *****My question is can I disable my SPI (Firewall) on router and still
    be fairly safe (Windows XP) since I am running a software firewall
    (Paid version-not Norton or McAfee)????

    *****If I disable it via 192.168.1.1 should I leave any of the boxes
    checked under the firewall setting such as:
    Firewall Protection : Enable Disable

    Block Anonymous Internet Requests
    Filter Multicast
    Filter Internet NAT Redirection
    Filter IDENT(Port 113)

    If I turn on NAT will that screw up my network (newbie question-sorry).

    Thanks,
    Patty
    , Dec 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    Spoke to Vonage and they put my PAP2 in the DMZ of the router. Also
    changed packet size and increased buffer. Additional changes were made
    by them to the PAP2 remotely. Got a good person to help me out of New
    Jersey. They told me to re-enable the SPI firewall on the Linksys.
    , Dec 7, 2005