    Any tips or comments are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    --Dan
    dg, Jun 20, 2005

  2. dg

    Russ Smith Guest

    I use a WRT54g and WMP54g card to VPN.

    Note, please, that "VPN" is not necessarily "VoIP".

    Russ Smith, Jun 20, 2005

  3. dg

    dg Guest

    Thanks for the input, however it sounds like you are already on a real
    private network. I am trying to initiate a VPN connection with a computer
    behind a WRT54GP2 router, from a computer across the city. It sounds like
    your "VPN" is occuring entirely on the internal side of the router. The
    problem seems to lie in the "passthrough" feature advertised, which would
    not be used if your "VPN" exists entirely on the internal side of the
    router.

    Please note, this is a VOIP router, what better place to ask a question
    about VOIP hardware than a VOIP forum? Even if the question is about VPN
    function.

    --Dan

    dg, Jun 20, 2005
  4. dg

    Russ Smith Guest

    I use a WRT54G at home to go outwards - the "other side" of
    the VPN is out in "the world". I am not trying to get INTO the 54g
    though that, too, is possible of course (just open the right ports
    and have the right software running internal to the WRT54G network).

    I noted the VoIP/VPN distinction to lock in what I was typing
    about, BTW.

    Russ Smith, Jun 21, 2005
  5. dg

    dg Guest

    "Russ Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I use a WRT54G at home to go outwards - the "other side" of
    > the VPN is out in "the world". I am not trying to get INTO the 54g
    > though that, too, is possible of course (just open the right ports
    > and have the right software running internal to the WRT54G network).

    Its SUPPOSED to be possible, but try finding somebody who has done it.
    Thats what I am trying to do. I have never seen 1 report of somebody
    successfully doing it, only complaints from people who say the firmware is
    flawed and doesn't allow it. I too connect to VPNs going outwards from my
    router, but not the other way around. The only people who have gotten it to
    work are using a hacked firmware, which I can't use.

    I don't know if I should give up and buy another router or keep screwing
    with it. I need to know if its possible before wasting too much time.

    Thanks,
    -Dan
    dg, Jun 21, 2005
  6. dg

    Russ Smith Guest

    Quck google for found:

    == "...One more potential "gotcha" is the ability of the
    == router to support VPN servers behind it. You'll of
    == course have to map the appropriate ports, or put
    == the VPN server in DMZ, but unless the router knows
    == how to handle the specially constructed VPN data
    == packets, your VPN clients won't be able to connect.
    == So if you need to have a VPN server behind your router,
    == make sure it supports PPTP or IPsec server pass-thru..."

    -- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article18-page7.php

    I have not checked my wrt54g docs/pages about this.

    Russ Smith, Jun 22, 2005
  7. dg

    Russ Smith Guest

    Ahem - that SHOULD be:

    "Quick google for 'vpn behind wrt54g'..."

    Russ Smith, Jun 22, 2005
  8. dg

    wkearney99 Guest

    > > == So if you need to have a VPN server behind your router,
    > > == make sure it supports PPTP or IPsec server pass-thru..."

    I connect back into my PPTP server all the time, one behind a WRT54G and the
    other behind a BEF11WS4 (or somesuch model number, it's been a while)

    Granted, it's just me VPN'ing back into a w2k box running RRAS. Were there
    some quantity of other people needing to get in simultaneously I'd upgrade
    to a more capable router. Most SoHo routers can't handle multiple
    simultaneous inbound VPN sessions.
    wkearney99, Jun 23, 2005