Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ripping Silk, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Ripping Silk

    Ripping Silk Guest

    I got one of these today, to supply wireless access to my Vaio laptop.
    Got it working no problem, BUT only when I use the router as my
    connection to the internet.

    I had this setup

    Wired country-->Surecom 4 port router--->my network (6 static IP's)

    I wanted to retain this setup (with static IPs), and connect the
    wireless router only as a wireless LAN hub rather than a WAN router.

    There dosen't seem to be any facility to do this from what I can see,
    (i.e. disabling the DHCP and forwarding the requests through to the
    Surecom router)
    If anyone has done a similar setup I'd appreciate hearing from them.

    Maybe I should have bought a wireless access point instead of a router??
    Ripping Silk, Sep 9, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ripping Silk

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:50:45 +1200, Ripping Silk wrote:

    > I got one of these today, to supply wireless access to my Vaio laptop.
    > Got it working no problem, BUT only when I use the router as my
    > connection to the internet.
    >
    > I had this setup
    >
    > Wired country-->Surecom 4 port router--->my network (6 static IP's)
    >
    > I wanted to retain this setup (with static IPs), and connect the
    > wireless router only as a wireless LAN hub rather than a WAN router.
    >
    > There dosen't seem to be any facility to do this from what I can see,
    > (i.e. disabling the DHCP and forwarding the requests through to the
    > Surecom router)
    > If anyone has done a similar setup I'd appreciate hearing from them.
    >
    > Maybe I should have bought a wireless access point instead of a router??


    There is a setting for the operating mode.
    Setup > Advanced Routing > Operating Mode > Change from Gateway to Router.
    DHCP server disable/enable is on the basic setup page.

    I have the reverse setup, I use the Linksys as my gateway and router and
    give the Surecom a static private IP address so I can plug its LAN side
    into the Linksys LAN port and use the Surecom as a network print server
    and switch hub.

    There is not much you can't do with this router, and if you want more
    settings you can use one of the third party firmware upgrades like ewrt or
    dd-wrt
    shannon, Sep 9, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ripping Silk

    Richard Guest

    Ripping Silk wrote:
    > I got one of these today, to supply wireless access to my Vaio laptop.
    > Got it working no problem, BUT only when I use the router as my
    > connection to the internet.
    >
    > I had this setup
    >
    > Wired country-->Surecom 4 port router--->my network (6 static IP's)
    >
    > I wanted to retain this setup (with static IPs), and connect the
    > wireless router only as a wireless LAN hub rather than a WAN router.
    >
    > There dosen't seem to be any facility to do this from what I can see,
    > (i.e. disabling the DHCP and forwarding the requests through to the
    > Surecom router)
    > If anyone has done a similar setup I'd appreciate hearing from them.
    >
    > Maybe I should have bought a wireless access point instead of a router??


    Just set its IP to an unused one in your local subnet, set the WAN to disabled
    or if you dont have that (cant recall if the stock firmware does) just set it to
    a private IP in a different range to the lan, and then connect the lan on the
    wrt to your exixting router and just use the AP funtion. The wireless and the 4
    lan ports are internally bridged together.
    Richard, Sep 9, 2005
    #3
  4. >
    > There is not much you can't do with this router, and if you want more
    > settings you can use one of the third party firmware upgrades like ewrt or
    > dd-wrt

    Here here, the original firmware is crap(tm).
    Get dd-wrt, it's much better, and allows you to have statically assigned
    IPs.

    www.dd-wrt.com
    You could also try the evil Sweasoft firmware which dd-wrt is related to.
    MaximumDamage, Sep 9, 2005
    #4
  5. Ripping Silk

    Richard Guest

    MaximumDamage wrote:

    > Here here, the original firmware is crap(tm).
    > Get dd-wrt, it's much better, and allows you to have statically assigned
    > IPs.
    >
    > www.dd-wrt.com
    > You could also try the evil Sweasoft firmware which dd-wrt is related to.


    I use sveasoft here, and its great? whats the problem with it you have found?
    Richard, Sep 9, 2005
    #5
  6. Richard wrote:
    >> Here here, the original firmware is crap(tm).
    >> Get dd-wrt, it's much better, and allows you to have statically
    >> assigned IPs.


    >> www.dd-wrt.com
    >> You could also try the evil Sweasoft firmware which dd-wrt is related to.


    > I use sveasoft here, and its great? whats the problem with it you have
    > found?


    the lack of following the GPL on a few things makes them evil from my
    perspective... others may have a different view.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 9, 2005
    #6
  7. Ripping Silk

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > the lack of following the GPL on a few things makes them evil from my
    > perspective... others may have a different view.


    I was under the impression that the FSF said that the subscription model was
    compliant with the GPL?
    Richard, Sep 9, 2005
    #7
  8. Richard wrote:
    >> the lack of following the GPL on a few things makes them evil from my
    >> perspective... others may have a different view.


    > I was under the impression that the FSF said that the subscription model
    > was compliant with the GPL?


    dunno, I havent looked into it for ages, other firmware has been better.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 9, 2005
    #8
  9. Ripping Silk

    shannon Guest

    MaximumDamage wrote:
    >>
    >> There is not much you can't do with this router, and if you want more
    >> settings you can use one of the third party firmware upgrades like
    >> ewrt or
    >> dd-wrt

    >
    > Here here, the original firmware is crap(tm).
    > Get dd-wrt, it's much better, and allows you to have statically assigned
    > IPs.
    >
    > www.dd-wrt.com
    > You could also try the evil Sweasoft firmware which dd-wrt is related to.


    I don't have any problem with static IPs with the current standard
    v3.01.3 firmware, but I see what you mean, the Static DHCP feature of
    dd-wrt is probably enough to make me try it, thanks for bringing it to
    my attention.
    Its standard issue on the Surecom / DSE XH1151 router firmware and may
    be why the OP wants to stick with the Surecom.
    shannon, Sep 9, 2005
    #9
  10. Ripping Silk

    Dave Taylor Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news:432103d8$:

    > Static DHCP


    Do you mean DHCP Leases?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 9, 2005
    #10
  11. Ripping Silk

    shannon Guest

    shannon, Sep 9, 2005
    #11
  12. Ripping Silk

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Ripping Silk wrote:
    > I got one of these today, to supply wireless access to my Vaio laptop.
    > Got it working no problem, BUT only when I use the router as my
    > connection to the internet.
    >
    > I had this setup
    >
    > Wired country-->Surecom 4 port router--->my network (6 static IP's)
    >
    > I wanted to retain this setup (with static IPs), and connect the
    > wireless router only as a wireless LAN hub rather than a WAN router.
    >
    > There dosen't seem to be any facility to do this from what I can see,
    > (i.e. disabling the DHCP and forwarding the requests through to the
    > Surecom router)
    > If anyone has done a similar setup I'd appreciate hearing from them.
    >
    > Maybe I should have bought a wireless access point instead of a router??



    thanks for replies.
    I did get it going ok with original firmware.
    static ips everywhere, and using surecom as the internet router.
    my question now is.. what kind of effective speed do you get out of these?
    my browsing is kinda slow... network shares take a long time to load
    in
    win explorer, google earth is kinda sluggish on the laptop.
    i know 54 mbps is half a 100mbps ethernet connection.. but i'm losing
    a bit more than that... could still be my network.. something not right
    somewhere... but better to ask of users speeds rather than chasing
    ghosts.. ta
    Ripping Silk, Sep 9, 2005
    #12
  13. Ripping Silk

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <dfrf16$3no$>,
    Ripping Silk <> wrote:

    > my question now is.. what kind of effective speed do you get out of these?
    > my browsing is kinda slow... network shares take a long time to load
    > in
    > win explorer, google earth is kinda sluggish on the laptop.
    > i know 54 mbps is half a 100mbps ethernet connection.. but i'm losing
    > a bit more than that... could still be my network.. something not right
    > somewhere... but better to ask of users speeds rather than chasing
    > ghosts.. ta


    You should expect around 20 Mbps actual speed. That's 2.5 MB/sec,
    though you'll neeed a reasonably fast machine to acheive that (i.e. my
    266 MHz G3 can't quite manage that, but a 1 GHz iMac can).

    That's asssuming you have "g" cards, of course. "b" cards will be five
    times slower than that.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------
    Bruce Hoult, Sep 9, 2005
    #13
  14. Ripping Silk

    Dave Taylor Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news:4321277d$:

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> shannon <> wrote in news:432103d8$:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Static DHCP

    >>
    >>
    >> Do you mean DHCP Leases?
    >>

    >
    > http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Static_DHCP
    >


    Yeah, that is what I thought you meant. I had never heard it called Static
    DHCP before.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 10, 2005
    #14
  15. Ripping Silk

    shannon Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > shannon <> wrote in news:4321277d$:
    >
    >
    >>Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>>shannon <> wrote in news:432103d8$:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Static DHCP
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Do you mean DHCP Leases?
    >>>

    >>
    >>http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Static_DHCP
    >>

    >
    >
    > Yeah, that is what I thought you meant. I had never heard it called Static
    > DHCP before.
    >


    I was replying to a dd-wrt user about a feature that the dd-wrt
    documentation refers to by that name.

    What would you like to call them ?
    Then I can be sure of not causing you any confusion.

    All dhcp assignments of ip numbers are dhcp leases, so that probably
    won't be acceptable to me as a description.
    shannon, Sep 10, 2005
    #15
  16. Ripping Silk

    SteveM Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news:43228187$:

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> shannon <> wrote in news:4321277d$:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>shannon <> wrote in news:432103d8$:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Static DHCP
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Do you mean DHCP Leases?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Static_DHCP
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Yeah, that is what I thought you meant. I had never heard it called
    >> Static DHCP before.
    >>

    >
    > I was replying to a dd-wrt user about a feature that the dd-wrt
    > documentation refers to by that name.
    >
    > What would you like to call them ?
    > Then I can be sure of not causing you any confusion.
    >
    > All dhcp assignments of ip numbers are dhcp leases, so that probably
    > won't be acceptable to me as a description.


    Under Windows 2000/3 server DHCP this would be setup as a "reservation"
    under the scope you setup in the DHCP service.

    Many names - same functionality

    SteveM
    SteveM, Sep 10, 2005
    #16
  17. Ripping Silk

    Richard Guest


    > All dhcp assignments of ip numbers are dhcp leases, so that probably
    > won't be acceptable to me as a description.


    DHCP reservation is what I have always known it as.
    Richard, Sep 10, 2005
    #17
  18. Ripping Silk

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news:4322a0de$:

    > DHCP reservation is what I have always known it as.


    Yes, me too.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 11, 2005
    #18
  19. Ripping Silk

    shannon Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:38:00 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Richard <> wrote in news:4322a0de$:
    >
    >> DHCP reservation is what I have always known it as.

    >
    > Yes, me too.


    And RFC 2131 refers to it as "manual allocation".
    shannon, Sep 11, 2005
    #19
  20. Ripping Silk

    Brendan Guest

    On 11 Sep 2005 13:38:00 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Richard <> wrote in news:4322a0de$:
    >
    >> DHCP reservation is what I have always known it as.

    >
    > Yes, me too.


    I'd like to reserve two please, for 7.30 pm Wednesday. Thanks.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #424487 +(3861)- [X]

    JstWnnaHveFuN08: do you think i should call a guy friend and talk to him
    about my problems? or will he not care?
    Thilo: Here's how it works: if a guy helps you with your problems, you're
    obligated to give him a blowjob.
    JstWnnaHveFuN08: lol thanks that cheered me up
    Thilo: No problem. That'll be one blowjob please.


    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/09/2005 9:59:02 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Sep 11, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Lipetz
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,338
    David Lipetz
    Aug 26, 2004
  2. Marcel Bernards
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,697
    Marcel Bernards
    Sep 11, 2004
  3. David Lipetz
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    2,945
    Chris H.
    Sep 7, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2F2?=

    Linksys WRT54G and WPC54G network problems

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2F2?=, Oct 9, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    5,648
    Tanya
    Oct 31, 2004
  5. Neil Barras

    Linksys WRT54G as a repeater or print server?

    Neil Barras, Nov 29, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    9,648
    Duane Arnold
    Nov 30, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page