Linksys WRT54G / WPC54G / IPAQ 5550

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Peter, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I have spent a day playing with the above and found the following
    problems:

    The IPAQ will talk to the WPC PCMCIA card (fitted in a Sony laptop)
    but only of both are configured in ad-hoc mode.

    The WPC will talk to the WRT router but only if the WPC is configured
    to infrastructure mode. The router itself has no config for ad-hoc
    mode.

    The IPAQ will not talk to the WRT at all. (**)

    We have tried it straight out of the box, with no encryption, with
    64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP and nothing makes much difference.

    We can get the laptop entering the WRT config (IE6 opening
    192.168.1.1) via the wifi port (the laptop has no ethernet port)

    The best I managed was connecting another PC to one of the WRT's
    ethernet ports (via a Linksys SD216 ethernet switch), opening IE6 on
    192.168.1.1, and opening the WRT config on that PC, and also this PC
    and the Sony laptop seeing each other via network neighbourhood.

    But no luck with the IPAQ.

    (**)Just once or twice in the whole day we got all 3 (WRT, WPC, IPAQ)
    to appear together in the Linksys WPC config/diagnostic software but
    that was it. It happened with the channel set to 10.

    The whole wifi connection, even between the Linksys products, seems to
    be pretty unreliable at the best of times.

    I also tried a different approach which I have used at both home and
    office with Cisco 803 routers for years: set the router's ethernet IP
    to a fixed value, set each PC's IP to a fixed value, and on each PC
    set the router's IP as the gateway IP. DHCP disabled on all devices.
    This is a perfectly reasonable setup for an office where a number of
    PCs access the internet via a router, and with the fixed IPs you
    always know where you are. Has the WRT/WPC ever been tested with fixed
    IPs ("use the following IP address" under TCP/IP Properties under
    Networking in Control Panel)?

    But it didn't help, though I did find something odd: if one changes
    the WRT's IP to e.g. 10.105.100.254 one can access its config on that
    IP OK (instead of on 192.168.1.1) but ONLY if DHCP is enabled on the
    WRT. If you disable DHCP on the WRT you cannot enter its config at
    all. (if DHCP is enabled on the router then the PC used for
    configuring it cannot have a fixed IP)

    I wonder if somebody has hard-coded the 192.168 ... IP in a few
    places, and I wonder if the WRT router has ever been tested with DHCP
    disabled.

    These items have been recently bought but perhaps everything needs a
    firmware upgrade???

    Can anyone suggest anything?
    Peter, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I also wonder if a device like the IPAQ should ever actually work with
    the WPC PCMCIA adapter... maybe it is limited to accessing a wifi
    access point, so in effect its wifi function would in this case be
    limited to accessing the internet through the WRT54G and the PC (via
    the WPC54G) would never usefully connect to it??

    I've been right through the CD PDF manuals and they contain no info on
    any of this.

    Peter.
    E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.
    Peter, Dec 29, 2003