Linksys WRT54G - WinXP lost connections

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tom Williams, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Tom Williams

    Tom Williams Guest

    I just setup a Linksys WRT54G router with 5 wireless WinXP laptops (4
    use 802.11g, 1 uses 802.11B. All have internal Mini PCI cards) plus one
    desktop machine direct wired to the router.

    I configured the router for DHCP, 128bit WEP, SSID broadcast disabled,
    and entered a manual 26 character HEX key for key 1).

    For each laptop, WEP shared settings were used and I entered the 26
    character HEX key using Windows wireless networking configuration. Each
    machine connected to the Net through the router successfully.

    Problem: so far the 802.11b and one 802.11G laptop have failed to
    remember the wireless connection profile eventually and lose the ability
    to find the router.

    Anyone have any suggestions where the problem is here?

    Thanks...

    Tom
    Tom Williams, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Tom Williams

    Lem Guest

    Tom Williams wrote:

    > I just setup a Linksys WRT54G router with 5 wireless WinXP laptops (4
    > use 802.11g, 1 uses 802.11B. All have internal Mini PCI cards) plus one
    > desktop machine direct wired to the router.
    >
    > I configured the router for DHCP, 128bit WEP, SSID broadcast disabled,
    > and entered a manual 26 character HEX key for key 1).
    >
    > For each laptop, WEP shared settings were used and I entered the 26
    > character HEX key using Windows wireless networking configuration. Each
    > machine connected to the Net through the router successfully.
    >
    > Problem: so far the 802.11b and one 802.11G laptop have failed to
    > remember the wireless connection profile eventually and lose the ability
    > to find the router.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions where the problem is here?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Tom

    I'm not sure why the computers would fail to remember the profile
    "eventually," but enable SSID broadcast on the router and see if that
    fixes the problem. Disabling SSID broadcast provides minimal -- if any
    -- protection from intruders, and is known to cause problems with WZC.

    You might consider upgrading the 802.11(b) device to 802.11(g). You
    probably can't replace the internal mini-PCI card, but you should be
    able to get an external USB or PCMICA adapter. Not only will you be
    able to use more secure encryption, but your network will probably run
    faster if set to "G-only" rather than to "mixed."
    Lem, Aug 26, 2006