Linksys WRT54G v2 and iBM T40 wireless access - need help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dar, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. dar

    dar Guest

    I have recently installed a linksys WRT54g v2 wireless router which
    works fine with a hardwired PC to connect to the internet. I have
    therefore updated the firmware to v4.20.7, Aug. 18, 2005.

    i am trying to connect to the internet from my laptop (IBM T40 with
    mini PCI wireless card 802.11b) i can see the router with a strong
    connection in the netowrk connections window of XP. but when i hit the
    connect button all i get a window showing a green ball pinging between
    a pc and laptop. after awhile it returns me to the available networks
    window with no error or comment message.

    i have set the router to mixed to allow 802.11b and 802.11g
    connections. Encryption on the router is set to WEP and on the laptop
    i have tried both automatic key settings as well as the 10 hex digits
    generated by the passkey in the router. in frustration i have also
    tried to remove the encryption to see if that will allow me to connect.
    the laptop is configured to work with an office wireless network hence
    i am unable to re-install any software on the laptop.

    i also enabled the incoming & outgoing logs - the incoming one is blank
    (despite my numerous attempts to access the router from the laptop) the
    outgoing has a number of entries.

    Any help appreciated and TIA
    dar dsa
    dar, Dec 3, 2005

  2. dar

    dar Guest

    following a different posting that suggests use of WPA with AES. when
    i hit connect on the laptop i get a prompt asking for the WPA key. i
    enter the key and am back to the same situation where the laptop polls
    the router but gets no connection.

    this is really frustrating .....................
    dar, Dec 4, 2005

  3. dar

    Steve Harris Guest

    just a start, have you disabled the existing Ethernet card? Or does it have
    one?

    Steve Harris, Dec 5, 2005
  4. dar

    Steve Harris Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx

    Steve Harris, Dec 5, 2005
  5. dar

    dar Guest

    Steve
    thanks for your suggestion. A colleague suggested i use a software
    called Odyssey that is loaded on the laptop which is necessary for my
    workplace wireless network. I need to add my home network to this
    software in order to make connection.

    Unfortunately Odyssey is an innocous icon that blends into the grey
    background of the windows taskbar. i would never have noticed it
    myself.

    cheers and thanks again for yr help
    dar

    dar, Dec 5, 2005