LinkSys WRT54G to Dell Inspiron 2200

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by GeneM, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. GeneM

    GeneM Guest

    I want to connect a laptop, Dell Inspiron 2200,
    w/ Card: Dell Wireless 1470 Dual-Band WLAN MiniPCI Card, Rev. 4.7,

    to our LinkSys wireless router model WRT54G.

    The router offers security modes
    -Secure Easy Setup
    (for which I find no match or reference on the laptop)
    -WPA-Personal (also called WPA-PSK) with Encryption TKIP or AES
    -WPA2-Personal
    RADIUS
    WEP-64
    WEP-128

    I wanted to use WPA-Personal (WPA-PSK) TKIP, but I can't find related
    settings on the Dell wireless setup utility.

    For now we used WEP-64.

    Any hope of running WPA-Personal for better security?
    Our issue may be use of WPA Pre-Shared Key: Can we set and share the
    WPA Shared Key with the target laptop?

    -GeneM
    GeneM, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Hi Gene,
    I assume you're using Windows XP. If so, for WPA you will need SP2
    installed (or SP1 and a hotfix). If you still can't see WPA as an option in
    the driver config. then try upgrading to the latest drivers as I'm pretty
    sure the Dell 1470 is a fairly recent card. You could als try the Dell
    Forums (are they still there?) or the Broadcom site (most Dell adapters I'm
    seen have been are re-badged Broadcom cards).

    </Mark>

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBXaWxzb24=?=, Dec 28, 2005

  3. GeneM

    GeneM Guest

    Thank you, Lem & Mark!

    We will try your suggestions.

    I'm pretty sure we already have XP's SP2 on the laptop, but we'll verify.

    -GeneM
    GeneM, Dec 28, 2005