Linksys WRT54G and network ready printer - connectivity?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nozza, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N

    I have a Linksys router WRT54G

    Currently I have the printer attached to a PC using a USB cable, and
    this is shared on the home network so that the other PCs can print.

    Downside is that the PC needs to be powered up for other users to
    print.

    How do I go about suing the "network ready" bit of the printer? Is it
    possible for all the PCs on the network to print to the printer if I
    connect it to a port on the router?

    Or will I need a separate print server?

    Do I simply connect the printer to a spare port on the router? And
    then what? How do I tell the networked PCs "how to find the printer"?

    And what about using DHCP? I currently use DHCP to dish out the IP
    addresses? What about the printer? What would happen if the printer's
    IP address changed?

    I am running Windows XP Pro on the pcs.

    Any info, or pointers, gratefully received

    Noz

    --
    Email (ROT13)
    Nozza, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Nozza

    EricP Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:11:11 +0000, Nozza
    <> wrote:

    >I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N
    >
    >I have a Linksys router WRT54G
    >
    >Currently I have the printer attached to a PC using a USB cable, and
    >this is shared on the home network so that the other PCs can print.
    >
    >Downside is that the PC needs to be powered up for other users to
    >print.
    >
    >How do I go about suing the "network ready" bit of the printer? Is it
    >possible for all the PCs on the network to print to the printer if I
    >connect it to a port on the router?
    >
    >Or will I need a separate print server?
    >
    >Do I simply connect the printer to a spare port on the router? And
    >then what? How do I tell the networked PCs "how to find the printer"?
    >
    >And what about using DHCP? I currently use DHCP to dish out the IP
    >addresses? What about the printer? What would happen if the printer's
    >IP address changed?
    >
    >I am running Windows XP Pro on the pcs.
    >
    >Any info, or pointers, gratefully received
    >
    >Noz

    "The HL-2070N laser printer is ideal for users who need to share a
    printer. Offering the same footprint, 20 ppm print speed, and 250
    sheet paper capacity as the HL-2040, the HL-2070N also includes a
    number of additional features. These include 16 MB of standard memory,
    PCL 6 emulation, and a built in Ethernet network interface. These
    features make the HL-2070N ideal for home or home office printer
    sharing. The HL-2070N also comes with Web based printer management
    capability, as well as other network management tools to make setting
    up and using your printer on your wired or wireless home network fast
    and easy"

    Plug it into the router. The instructions should give you the web
    access page for it so you can talk to it.
    EricP, Nov 12, 2005

  3. Nozza

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Nozza" <> wrote in message
    >I have a network ready printer the Brother HL-2070N

    > Any info, or pointers, gratefully received

    If it's like the other "N" printers from Brother, on the Install CD is a
    programme for setting up the network part of it. Just connect the printer to
    the router and run the software. If there isn't a CD (like my fax didn't
    have one), go to the Brother website and download it.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Nozza

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Set the printer for DHCP then plug it into the router, it will get an IP
    automatically. Check your router to find out what IP it gave to the printer
    or just do a test print from the printer itself to find it. There are
    several ways to install the printer on your pc's. You can run the add
    printer wizard and let it detect the printer using the network printer
    option, which does not always work with networked printers or you can use
    the add printer wizard, choose local printer and do not check the box to
    auto detect, input the IP address of the printer, then follow the prompts.

    pcbutts1, Nov 12, 2005
  5. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    Brilliant!