    LinkSys switch? Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks

    John
    JDM, Jun 24, 2003

  2. JDM wrote:

    >I am having the hardest time trying to get 2 home computers set up running
    >on the same internet service. I have a LINKSYS Work group switch with 4
    >ports and a 5th port which is shared with the Uplink port.
    >
    >I am taking the ethernet cable from the modem to the uplink port then using
    >another ethernet cable from any one of the other ports to the d link adapter
    >in my computer yet i cannot gain an internet connection. When I simply have
    >the ethernet cable going from the modem directly to the d link adapter in my
    >computer it works fine.
    >
    >Any suggestions why I can't gain an internet connection going through the
    >LinkSys switch? Am I doing something wrong?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >John

    Just a little. The uplink port is to add more sub networking components.
    We use the befsr41 (among bigger things) here and suggest you might bring
    your internet service into the port marked WAN at the other end (normally).
    Then use 1-4 for pc's and you won't need the uplink unless you have
    sub-nets.
    The shared port is not really for other pc's on the main network. We
    have been
    using this for 3 years, it works fairly well

    -=Joe=-
    SS4 http://ss4.no-ip.info
    SASQUACH SERVER, Jun 24, 2003

  3. JDM

    un8bf Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:04:57 -0600, "JDM" <>
    wrote:

    >I am having the hardest time trying to get 2 home computers set up running
    >on the same internet service. I have a LINKSYS Work group switch with 4
    >ports and a 5th port which is shared with the Uplink port.
    >
    >I am taking the ethernet cable from the modem to the uplink port then using
    >another ethernet cable from any one of the other ports to the d link adapter
    >in my computer yet i cannot gain an internet connection. When I simply have
    >the ethernet cable going from the modem directly to the d link adapter in my
    >computer it works fine.
    >
    >Any suggestions why I can't gain an internet connection going through the
    >LinkSys switch? Am I doing something wrong?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >John

    Recheck these two settings:
    1. Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections >LAN Settings.
    "Automatically detect settings" should be checked.

    2. Control Panel > Network.
    Highlight TCP/IP and click on the Properties button. "Obtain
    an IP address automatically" should be selected.

    Hope this did it for ya.
    un8bf, Jun 24, 2003
  4. You need a router, not a switch.

    btb

    Bruce T. Berger, Jun 24, 2003
  5. JDM

    MistyFlame

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I know this is forever later.. and i'm not the person who posted this.. but you are truely my hero.. the end.
    MistyFlame, Jan 22, 2011