Linksys wireless problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dave, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've been reading various post about wireless problems and Win XP SP2.

    I thought I would post what has been happening with my network.

    I have a Linksys wrk54g router hooked up to a desktop PC running Win XP Home
    edition SP1.
    I have a Linksys wusb54g usb adapter hooked up to another desktop PC running
    Win XP Pro SP2.
    I have a Linksys wpc54g notebook adapter on my Dell inspiron 1100 laptop
    running Win XP Home edition SP2.

    I didn't have any problems with the 2 desktops. The Linksys network monitor
    works OK on SP1
    and works on the second PC even after I installed SP2 on the second desktop
    (wusb54g).

    My laptop was a different story. I originally had SP1 on it and I was using
    the wusb54g usb adapter
    and network monitor without any problems. I decided to upgrade to SP2 and
    still everything was
    working OK. I decided to buy the wpc54g notebook adapter for my laptop and
    leave the usb
    adapter on the desktop. I followed the instruction for installing the
    software and thats where the
    problems started on my laptop. I got errors installing the software but
    finally got it installed. Every
    time the Linksys network monitor tried to execute I got the message "10093:
    Successful WSAStartup
    not yet performed." and I couldn't connect to the internet. I gave up trying
    to use the Linksys monitor
    and used the windows monitor instead. I was able to connect to the internet
    but I had to manually start
    and stop the network connection. If I didn't stop the connection before I
    turned off my laptop, when
    I turned it on the next time, the network would connect by itself and then
    about 3 seconds later disconnect.
    It would continue in this 3 second cycle of connecting/disconnecting until I
    stopped the connection and
    then manually started it again.

    I later installed an FTP program on my laptop. The FTP program wouldn't
    connect to the internet even
    though the same program worked on my desktop and connected without any
    problems. Thats when I
    checked my firewall program to see what was being blocked. To my surprise,
    the FTP program was
    being blocked, and also the wpc54g.exe program. I changed the setting on
    both entries and the FTP
    program connected OK. I then tried starting the linksys network monitor
    expecting the 10093 error,
    but the monitor came up OK. I moved the wpc54g.exe program back into the
    startup folder, changed
    the setting so windows no longer controlled the connection, and re-booted
    the laptop. The Linksys
    network monitor came up without the 10093 error and my laptop connected to
    the internet. So far
    things seem to be working OK.

    My original purpose of the wireless system was so my wife and I could get on
    the internet at the same
    time. So while she's on the internet on her desktop, I can connect from
    either my desktop or laptop.
    I haven't tried to network the drives of the 3 computers together yet, but I
    don't think I'll have a problem.

    Dave.

    daparty
    @
    centurytel.
    net

    Dave, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Thank you for this info... This may be helpful to others who will hit the
    10093/Linksys error in the future!

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Nov 18, 2004