Linksys Wireless print server

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Greg Kamer, Apr 22, 2007.

  1. Greg Kamer

    Greg Kamer Guest

    Hi All,
    I am in the process of setting up a wireless network at home.
    Involved will be 3 computers, 2 desk tops and a laptop all running Win-XP.
    My laptop has a wireless card built in, and I purchased 2 Belkin USB
    wireless adapters for the 2 desk tops.

    So far everything is working fine. To finish off my wireless project, I need
    to set up my printer. Right now, the printer, a Canon i960 photo printer is
    connected to one of the desk tops. Of course this means that system needs to
    be turned on in order for any of the other systems to use it, since it is
    designated as a shared printer.

    I was thinking of using the Linksys wirless print server to solve the
    wireless printer issue. I have read where this server is not really too good
    when running a multi-function printer, but since this is just an inkjet
    printer that does not sound like it will be a problem ion my case.

    Now for my wireless security, I am using a 128 bit WEP encryption key. I
    understand this is not the highest level of security I could have, but I
    just want something to keep the neighbors from hijacking my band width.

    Now I have read where this serve only accepts 64 bit encryption and if I
    purchased it, I would need to change all my security settings for the
    wireless computers. Do you think this is going to pose a major problem,
    security wise with my network. The reason I was looking at this server was
    because it is a USB wireless print server and my printer is USB. Plus the
    router is a Linksys so I thought it would be a good idea to stay with
    Linksys components as much as possible.

    Perhaps someone has some suggestions they think may be helpful. I'm always
    open to constructive ideas.

    Greg Kamer, Apr 22, 2007

  2. Greg Kamer

    Barb Bowman Guest

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=482 supports much better
    encryption. and you should at least use WPA. anyone driving b your
    home could hack WEP in less than 2 minutes.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 22, 2007

  3. Hi
    The issue of Network printing has to be viewed in a more global way than
    just buying an adaptor.
    Printers include a lot of propriety aspects an thus many combination of
    printer and stand alone printer server would allow the use of all of the
    printer capacities.
    Many time it is preferable to leave the current printers as is and get an
    additional inexpensive network printer. See more here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 22, 2007
  4. Greg,
    I've got a linksys wireless print server and it does 128 I'm using that
    along with the MAC filtering aspect of my wireless and it seems to work
    pretty good. Also are you US or Europe, that may be why you don't have 128
    listed.
    --
    I didn''''''''t'''''''' do it, you can''''''''t prove a thing, and besides
    no one saw a thing.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFuYWthIE9zaGk=?=, Apr 30, 2007