    on other computer with Win98SE. I finally figured to get it connected to the
    router then can't have internet connected. I rebooted the other computer with
    Win98SE and it won't connect to the router. What am I doing wrong now ?

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJldA==?=, Nov 10, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnJldA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > I got WRT54GS router with speedbooster hooked up to my main computer
    > with XP and working great then I add WMP54GS wireless-G PCI adapter
    > with speedbooster on other computer with Win98SE. I finally figured to
    > get it connected to the router then can't have internet connected. I
    > rebooted the other computer with Win98SE and it won't connect to the
    > router. What am I doing wrong now ?

    What do you mean "finally figured to get it connected to the router"?
    It's not possible to tell you what you are doing wrong because you
    haven't given a clear picture of what you have actually done. Here are
    some things to check:

    1. Make sure the wireless card is recognized in Win98 by checking in
    Device Manager. No yellow exclamation marks? If all looks well, move on
    to:

    2. From your main computer, open Internet Explorer and put in the
    router's address to get to its configuration. For example, if this is a
    Linksys you would type http://192.168.1.1 in the addressbar and
    [Enter]. This should take you to the router's login screen. Enter the
    username/password per your manual or to whatever they are if you
    changed them from the default.

    3. Now go to the wireless settings and write down the SSID and the WEP
    (or WPA if you are using that) keys. If you never changed any other
    settings from default, you're done.

    4. Now go to the Win98 box. You probably are using wireless
    configuration software that came with the pc card since Win98 doesn't
    have a built-in wireless setup applet like XP does. Go into that
    software and make sure the SSID and WEP/WPA keys match what you wrote
    down from the router.

    5. Check that the Win98 box is set to automatically get its IP address
    in the TCP/IP Properties under the Network applet in Control Panel.

    All this is dependent on both the XP and Win98 boxen being 100% free of
    malware and viruses of course.

    If you need more help, please post back to this thread with full details
    of what you've done and your troubleshooting results.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers