    disabled, this stops.

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    Evan
    Evan, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Evan

    Evan Guest

    No takers?
    Evan, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Evan

    Chuck Guest

    On 28 Dec 2005 05:28:23 -0800, "Evan" <> wrote:

    >Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.
    >
    >Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
    >clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
    >on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.
    >
    >As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
    >disabled, this stops.
    >
    >Any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    >Evan

    Evan,

    Have you tried contacting Linksys product support?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    Chuck, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Read through their knowledge base. Nothing similar to my issue.

    But as I couldn't stand the disc access every second, I reinstalled the
    USB adaptor software and the problem disappeared.

    Subsequently, I decided to use Windows XP's built-in wireless
    connection service...cutting out the middleman. Works well too. No
    annoying disc accesses.
    Evan, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Evan

    RWS Guest

    "Evan" <> wrote in message news:...
    Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.

    Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
    clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
    on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.

    As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
    disabled, this stops.

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    Evan

    Probably would help if you would provide more detailed information:
    Which Linksys wireless adapter model exactly?
    What computer brand/model or motherboard?
    What Operating System - Service Pack?
    Is any Firewall program involved?
    Have you checked out Linksys support yet?
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...290855&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    RWS, Dec 31, 2005
  6. "Evan" <> wrote in message
    > Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.
    >
    > Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
    > clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
    > on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.
    >
    > As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
    > disabled, this stops.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    > Evan

    If I remember correctly, I had a similar problem with a WRT54G setup. The
    problem, for me at least, was a default setting on the router whereby the
    router and my PC's network card were changing the encryption
    number/algorythm/key every one (1) second or so. I forget exactly what you
    call it, and I am at work right now so I don't have access to my home PC.
    It might have been the "beacon interval".

    I was using WPA security. Without any security, the problem went away; but,
    no security is NOT acceptable.

    Anyway, every time the router would change its encryption key (I think it
    was encryption), the hard drive would kick in for a second. Very annoying.
    I changed the interval on the router using Internet Explorer (try entering
    192.18.1.1 to bring up the router's screen) to something like every 3600
    seconds (60 minutes) instead of the default 1 second and the problem went
    away just like that.

    There were other things that I changed on my PC, such as turning off system
    restore which noticeably cut down on the hard drive use when the PC was just
    sitting there supposedly doing nothing.
    Non-Offensive, Professional Sounding Name, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Evan

    Evan Guest

    I turned off drive indexing...obviously wasn't the issue.

    If this happens again, I will check the encryption refresh time in the
    router's settings.

    Good tip.
    Evan, Jan 10, 2006
  8. Evan
    Ya intentaste desinstalar el driver de tu USB Adapter del todo. Incluye
    reiniciar la maquina. borrar el archivo inf en la carpeta
    x:\windows\system32\inf (Esta oculta). Casi siempre el archivo inf viene en
    el CD de instalación. buscalo y comparalo con el de Windows.

    Te aconsejo de que visites la pagina de Linksys y busca en la opción de
    Downloads la versión del Router ya que hay varias e instala el firmware mas
    reciente. Además te aconsejo que entres a la pagina de tu USB Adapter y
    consigas si no lo has hecho la versión mas nueva de los Drivers.

    Alejandro Segura Cernas, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Alejandro Segura Cernas wrote:
    > Evan
    > Ya intentaste desinstalar el driver de tu USB Adapter del todo. Incluye
    > reiniciar la maquina. borrar el archivo inf en la carpeta
    > x:\windows\system32\inf (Esta oculta). Casi siempre el archivo inf viene en
    > el CD de instalación. buscalo y comparalo con el de Windows.
    > Te aconsejo de que visites la pagina de Linksys y busca en la opción de
    > Downloads la versión del Router ya que hay varias e instala el firmwaremas
    > reciente. Además te aconsejo que entres a la pagina de tu USB Adapter y
    > consigas si no lo has hecho la versión mas nueva de los Drivers.

    Thanks Alejandro.

    I Google translated your message and some of your points are quite
    valid.

    (1) Uninstall the USB adapter driver COMPLETELY:
    I didn't do this as thoroughly as you suggested (removing the INF
    file), but a reinstall solved the hard drive access problem, probably
    because I chose a different security setup the second time around?

    (2) Update USB driver to newest that Linksys provide on their web:
    Haven't done this yet, but I do tend to update my entire system every
    few weeks.

    (3) Update router firmware:
    Yes, I've done this. However, Linksys could do a better job sorting and
    explaning the different versions of the same model.
    Evan, Jan 13, 2006
  10. Evan-

    I just found out that Linksys does not have a driver that is compatible with
    XP Media Edition. So if you have that OS, this could be the problem. They
    don't know when one is coming out either.

    Michelle

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=, Mar 2, 2006