    options. Maybe I still need to register, but not sure how or where
    to do that. Can someone send me on the right track, where to start?
    thanks.

    lbbss, Jan 12, 2008

  2. lbbss

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 07:10:21 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote:

    >I am installing a wireless linksys card. The drivers don't install

    You mentioned XP, didn't mention ver / model of Linksys card or what ver
    of drivers don't install.

    >properly (yellow flag). I tried clicking on setup from the linksys
    >cd, but nothing loads. I have a feeling its something to do with
    >authentication of xp, I have never done that before. We just got
    >this second computer used, for our kids. We were given the product
    >id, not a pirated xp copy. I guess you need to authenticate when you

    You get a key on the COA sticker attached to the case.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa
    and sometimes a CD, if not a reinstall partition.

    >install new hardware? How do you do that? The first time the xp
    >message appeared, it had two options, authenticate and the other was
    >register (can't remember for sure). So I did one of the two

    You do get those options, they are more likely called activation and
    registration.

    Windows XP Product Activation
    Microsoft is committed to the protection of intellectual property rights
    and the reduction of software piracy. Authentic Microsoft software
    assures you of ...
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx - 15k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    >options. Maybe I still need to register, but not sure how or where

    So which one was it. If you need help you need to say what you did and
    check what something was called.

    >to do that. Can someone send me on the right track, where to start?
    >thanks.

    The COA / authentication validates the legal installed XP. Registration
    is optional, providing details to MS.

    JSKYs - XP Activation
    Product activation is different from product registration because
    activation is required and registration is optional. If you want to
    register Windows XP by ...
    http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id20.html - 60k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Me

    why?, Jan 12, 2008

  3. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Linksys Wireless Installation Problem? Xp authentication?

    the model is wmp54g linksys. After bootup, the xp wizard found
    hardware, I inserted the cd, it found the drivers, but had a message
    that there was a problem installing them. Now in hardware the
    adapter is yellow flaged.

    Next time I rebooted the system, xp message about the system being
    really different from last time, and asking to activate & autinticate,
    but I don't remember if that was the right wording.

    \the strange thing is the cd setup.exe will not load, the manual
    states the wizard setup is not required for xp (only 2000 98). Is
    that why it does not load, or is it an xp issue about validating?
    How do I know my vadilation status? where do I look? sorry I can't
    tell you the exact wording of the xp message, since it does not come
    up on my screen any more. tx

    I think my system is validated, since it automatically does the
    periodic windows updates, that require to reboot.

    p.s. I do have the xp sticker, product id.

    lbbss, Jan 12, 2008
  4. lbbss

    meerkat Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > the model is wmp54g linksys. After bootup, the xp wizard found
    > hardware, I inserted the cd, it found the drivers, but had a message
    > that there was a problem installing them. Now in hardware the
    > adapter is yellow flaged.

    snipped some.

    Why don`t you go into the Device Manager, and
    `un-install` the linksys item, then re-start the machine,
    and let windows install drivers from it`s database,
    instead of trying to load drivers from the CD ?.

    meerkat, Jan 12, 2008
  5. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Linksys Wireless Installation Problem? Xp authentication?

    I tried that, no luck either.

    lbbss, Jan 12, 2008
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Linksys Wireless Installation Problem? Xp authentication?

    Would my wired network Lan card create a problem? I tried
    disconnecting it, but it did not help either (but I did not get rid
    of the devices in hardware manager for the Lan card, should I?) Is
    IRQ still a possible problem with the newer xp systems? I have a
    clone Celeron 1.3Ghz, gigabite mo bo, 512mb ram.

    lbbss, Jan 12, 2008
  7. lbbss

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:28:09 -0800 (PST), lbbss wrote:

    >the model is wmp54g linksys. After bootup, the xp wizard found

    Better :) links to the manual pages sometimes help as well. Had issues
    with thier silly javascript:(0) pointing to real URLs.

    >hardware, I inserted the cd, it found the drivers, but had a message
    >that there was a problem installing them. Now in hardware the

    Often better off using the drivers from the vendor site. Will be newer
    than CD version, maybe.

    >adapter is yellow flaged.
    >
    >Next time I rebooted the system, xp message about the system being
    >really different from last time, and asking to activate & autinticate,
    >but I don't remember if that was the right wording.

    Helps to note which. There is activation to validate the key code.
    Registration is optional.

    Windows XP uses software-based product activation technology. Therefore,
    you must activate your copy of Windows XP to use it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

    Windows XP Product Activation
    Windows XP retail products contain software-based product activation ...
    Activation data and any optional registration data provided to Microsoft
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

    Also covers validation / registration
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/mpa.aspx

    >\the strange thing is the cd setup.exe will not load, the manual

    Do you have autoplay on the CD turned off?

    >states the wizard setup is not required for xp (only 2000 98). Is

    Doubt Linksys check the validation status. If the setup.exe doesn't run
    perhaps if you goto the NIC setup, select update driver and navigate
    manually to the correct folder on the CD it may work.

    >that why it does not load, or is it an xp issue about validating?
    >How do I know my vadilation status? where do I look? sorry I can't
    >tell you the exact wording of the xp message, since it does not come
    >up on my screen any more. tx
    >
    >I think my system is validated, since it automatically does the
    >periodic windows updates, that require to reboot.

    Sounds like it is okay then, also sometimes when you goto the MS
    download site it asks you to run genuine advantage check and enter a
    code to get the download.

    >p.s. I do have the xp sticker, product id.

    Examples of COA stickers, on the MS How to tell a valid copy.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/

    Me

    why?, Jan 13, 2008