    easy was it to set up using the auto button?

    Simon Willcox
    looking to extend my network
    Simon Willcox, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Simon Willcox

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    I cannot give you a direct answer since I did not try this specific Extender
    with None Linksys Router.

    However, in general I see the use of Extender as the mean of last resort.

    In general, Extender does not do well when used with a source that is based
    on a different Chipset than the Extender is.

    Extenders cut the Bandwidth in to two. Therefore, if you put an Extender at
    the 50% Bandwidth Level you end up with 25% pass the extender (and less
    further On).

    Extenders, relatively to their limited configuration capacity, are
    expensive.

    A good Access Point that can be configured as a Repeater/Client (that is the
    actual name of the devices Extenders is n Entry Level Marketing ploy),
    provide much more flexibility, and if necessary can be equipped with a Good
    External Antenna and provide better service.

    WDS is a better solution too since it is a little less depended on Chipset
    and many WDS can be fit with external Antenna as well (
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )

    These pages describe the common methods that might be used to Extend
    Wireless Coverage.

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Simon Willcox" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone used thus particular model with a Linksys router or more
    > importantly with a different brand router?
    >
    > If you have please post back your experiences on how well it worked and

    how

    Jack, Oct 11, 2005

  3. I also want to add that using an external antenna will help a lot. Linksys
    routers and access points' antennas can be removed, thus making them easier
    to use with 3rd party high gain antennas.
    For e.g. I have configured two Linksys access points using two high gain
    directional antennas (14dbi) at a distance of about 1km and they worked great
    at 54mpbs without any data loss.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Oct 11, 2005