    something to do with the card and the windows zero configuration but they
    told me to contact Microsoft b/c it was beyond the scope of what they could
    do to help me.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlcnls?=, Dec 24, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlcnls?=

    Malke Guest

    Cheryl wrote:

    > I am running Windows XP Professional. I have a Linksys router. I can
    > connect directly to the router via a cable and access the internet,
    > but the
    > Linksys wireless-G card does not work. It cannot associate with the
    > access
    > point. My roommate has a different brand of card and hers is working.
    > If I look in the device manager it shows that the card itself is
    > functioning
    > properly. I also checked and the windows zero configuration service
    > is
    > running. I spoke with Linksys support and they said that the problem
    > had something to do with the card and the windows zero configuration
    > but they told me to contact Microsoft b/c it was beyond the scope of
    > what they could do to help me.

    A few things to check:

    1. Is the machine a laptop? If so, do you have the wireless turned on?
    Many newer laptops have a button on the case that turns the wireless on
    and off. Look and see if yours is one of those. Refer to your manual.

    2. If the above isn't the issue, does a different wireless card work?
    Maybe you can borrow your roommate's and temporarily install it. I'd
    uninstall your Linksys first. If her card works when properly installed
    in your machine, you know your Linksys is defective and should be
    returned.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Dec 24, 2004

  3. The Linksys website is chock full of support tips and could be a big help.
    If you give us the model numbers of the hardware, including the computer
    specs, we might be of assistance. I would begin by uninstalling the wireless
    card and reinstalling. Pay special attention to the router info on network
    staus and client table.
    I went round and round with Linksys on a similar situation, and the best we
    ever got was an intermittent connection. In a fit of frustration I
    reformatted and reinstalled the (ME) OS and got instant gratification. This
    particular Laptop had been repetedly infested with spyware, and there was
    probably a connection.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=, Dec 25, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlcnls?=

    R. Choate Guest

    There are a few things you can try that might get you going with only minor tweaking. I would strongly urge you to try some of these
    steps before going so far as to reformat and/or reinstalling an OS. I've got one of those cards and I know there are several little
    things that can stand in your way and seem like bigger problems than they really are.
    --
    RMC,CPA

    R. Choate, Dec 25, 2004