    adapter on another computer, and it works fine; I've tried different
    USB ports. Any help would be appreciated.

    , Jun 14, 2008

  2. My guess would be that the USB hub in that ThinkPad is dying. All of
    the USB ports on that laptop are undoubtedly powered thru the same USB
    hub so it wouldn't matter which port you used. Do you have any other
    USB powered devices you could plug into it to test? One of those USB
    LED lamps would be perfect.

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    "" <> wrote in message

    > I've been using a Linksys WUSB54g v.4 USB wireless adapter on an old
    > Thinkpad running win98se. This setup had been working great for
    > connecting the Thinkpad to our home network. But then just randomly
    > the wireless adapter stopped working right. It powers up and connects
    > to the router and the internet when the computer boots up, but then
    > the power light just goes off after about 2 minutes, and the
    > connection is dropped. Same exact pattern every time I boot the
    > laptop. I've done everything I can think of to fix this. I've
    > uninstalled everything I've installed recently; I've tried unplugging
    > and reconnecting the adapter's USB cable; I've tried the wireless
    > adapter on another computer, and it works fine; I've tried different
    > USB ports. Any help would be appreciated.

    > Checked by AVG.

    Checked by AVG.
    6/13/2008 6:33 AM

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote), Jun 14, 2008

  3. Guest

    Actually I use an acomdata 160GB portable USB drive with do problem. I
    thought maybe it was sucking power, so I disconnect it when I use the
    wireless adapter, but I've had no problem with the USB drive; just
    used it this morning in fact.

    On Jun 14, 9:01 am, "Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)"
    <> wrote:
    > My guess would be that the USB hub in that ThinkPad is dying.  All of
    > the USB ports on that laptop are undoubtedly powered thru the same USB
    > hub so it wouldn't matter which port you used.  Do you have any other
    > USB powered devices you could plug into it to test?  One of those USB
    > LED lamps would be perfect.
    >
    > --
    > -Ben-
    > Ben M. Schorr, MVP
    > Roland Schorr & Towerhttp://www.rolandschorr.comhttp://www.officeforlawyers.com
    >
    > "" <> wrote in message

    > > I've been using a Linksys WUSB54g v.4 USB wireless adapter on an old
    > > Thinkpad running win98se. This setup had been working great for
    > > connecting the Thinkpad to our home network. But then just randomly
    > > the wireless adapter stopped working right. It powers up and connects
    > > to the router and the internet when the computer boots up, but then
    > > the power light just goes off after about 2 minutes, and the
    > > connection is dropped. Same exact pattern every time I boot the
    > > laptop. I've done everything I can think of to fix this. I've
    > > uninstalled everything I've installed recently; I've tried unplugging
    > > and reconnecting the adapter's USB cable; I've tried the wireless
    > > adapter on another computer, and it works fine; I've tried different
    > > USB ports. Any help would be appreciated.

    > > Checked by AVG.

    > Checked by AVG.
    > 6/13/2008 6:33 AM

    , Jun 14, 2008